General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1962 Super 88 Fuel Tank -- Will another B-Body Tank Fit?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Rocketeer

Question 1962 Super 88 Fuel Tank -- Will another B-Body Tank Fit?

I have a 1962 Super 88.

I'm trying to determine if a 1962 Impala fuel tank will fit, because Impala tanks and sending units are widely available and inexpensive.

Both were B-body cars that oriented a long rectangular tank vertically between the rear axle and the trunk.

I'm aware that the filler neck locations are different, that the sending unit mounting methods are different, and that the sending units both use use 0-30 ohm rheostats.

I'm thinking that the 0-30 ohm sender will be compatible with my fuel gauge, and that if I could use an Impala tank/sending unit, all that would be required would be to move my fill neck.

The big question is whether or not the Impala tank will fit.

Interestingly, my original tank is a 2-line tank that had the return line sealed at the factory so that the car uses a single-line fuel system. Considering that the tank had a send line and a return line, and that my application only used the send line, it's obvious that this tank was used in other applications. I'm just not sure whether those other apps were all Olds-only, or whether those other apps might have included the Impala. I'm trying to determine if this tank might be the same size as the Chevy tank, with relocated fittings.

TIA.
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

The Impala of that vintage used a completely different frame from the Olds, with an "X" shape instead of the perimeter frame used by Olds. I suspect that Olds and Buick used the same tank, and the return line would have been used on cars with A/C.