General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

72 convertible cutlass top motor

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:00 PM

72 convertible cutlass top motor

Installed new pump motor on vehicle.. Any techniques or suggestions on inserting the three rubber grommets into the holes?? Tried a little oil, Vaseline to no avail. Got the single on but not so much on the double side. Have it attached now with some small C clamps. Good news top works Great. Thanks
Old May 28th, 2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Redbud40
Installed new pump motor on vehicle.. Any techniques or suggestions on inserting the three rubber grommets into the holes?? Tried a little oil, Vaseline to no avail. Got the single on but not so much on the double side. Have it attached now with some small C clamps. Good news top works Great. Thanks
Hey Redbud -

Congrats on getting the top working. Get a threaded bolt with some nuts and washers that are wider that the grommets. Then thread the bolt thru the oiled grommet and the motor hole, and put a washer and a nut (in that order) on each end. Snug it up by hand and then use a wrench to slowly turn the nut on the top of the washer/grommet until the grommet pops in. Should work.

I'm about to dive into this on a 72 vert that the top won't budge on. No motor noise at all. Any tips?
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the tip sounds like a plan for the grommet. Rocker switch? They seem to go before the actual motor. My switch was bad and pump was old(original) so I decided to just buy a new pump. Gonna test my old pump to see if it still works it did last time I used it about two years ago. I was gonna post it here later if someone wanted to upgrade and or rebuild.
Mike
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:31 PM

Quote: "No motor noise at all. Any tips?"

Sorry to have to say this but I spent 30 minutes on a fully worded reply covering top pump motor overhauls and the posting "reply" function apparently "timed out" or something ?? It asked me to "log in" again when I was already logged in. It then ate my entire reply.

I am not going to redo that tutorial. If you want to know the procedure - contact me direct email.

Note to Administrator: This is not the first time such an annoyance has happened - if you do not want members to post considered replies (vs 2 sentence blurbs) just say so!

Last edited by Oldsmobomb; July 21st, 2014 at 09:38 PM.