General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

69 442 W30 Ram Air air cleaner?????

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:23 PM

69 442 W30 Ram Air air cleaner?????

How hard is it to find a original one? What do they sell for?

Is there a high quality reproduction on the market?
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:44 AM

The Parts Place has the 68-69 w30 w31 air cleaner.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...=air%20cleaner
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:07 AM

They are out there, but be prepsred to dig deep. Depending on your car, the aftermarket may be a wise choice financially.
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
The Parts Place has the 68-69 w30 w31 air cleaner.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...=air%20cleaner
Of course, that link is for a 69 air cleaner. They also have the 68 (with a different P/N), so be sure you get the correct one for your car.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Whats the quality like of the repops?
Are they all the same? I have sean a few venders that have them is one better than another?
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

A while back a gentleman was grafting together 68-69 assemblies using two stock air cleaners. He did them accurately. He got so good at it rumor had it that OPG approached him and commissioned him to build them for them on an as-needed bases. This is strictly word of mouth through the grape vine but from reputable sources. Presently I don't know if this is still the case or they are actually new stampings. I do know two people that purchased them ~10 years ago so they got the hand built versions. If you put the "new" next to an original I couldn't tell the difference right down to the proper taper on the intake tubes. As Joe mentioned there are subtle differences between the two years same goes for the bumper ducts, brackets etc.... Why not call their tech dept and ask a few questions. They should have testimonial feed back as well. The parts place most likely uses the same source? I think the whole W30,1,2 "kit" was shy of 1K. An original cleaner housing alone will run ~3K. Im pretty sure the items found on evil bay are one of those two vendors selling catalog items on ebay. The "repops" are supposed to be high quality.

Last edited by droldsmorland; February 25th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
A while back a gentleman was grafting together 68-69 assemblies using two air stock cleaners.
Given that the snorkels on the O.A.I. air cleaners are different from those on stock air cleaners, I don't really see how grafting two together is in any way helpful.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:06 PM

A while back a gentleman was grafting together 68-69 assemblies using two air stock cleaners. He did them accurately. He got so good at it rumor had it that OPG approached him and commissioned him to build them for them on an as-needed bases. This is strictly word of mouth through the grape vine but from reputable sources. Presently I don't know if this is still the case or they are actually new stampings. I do know two people that purchased them ~10 years ago so they got the hand built versions. If you put the "new" next to an original I couldn't tell the difference right down to the proper taper on the intake tubes. As Joe mentioned there are subtle differences between the two years same goes for the bumper ducts, brackets etc.... Why not call their tech dept and ask a few questions. They should have testimonial feed back as well. The parts place most likely uses the same source? I think the whole W30,1,2 "kit" was shy of 1K. An original cleaner housing alone will run ~3K. Im pretty sure the items found on evil bay are one of those two vendors selling catalog items on ebay. The "repops" are supposed to be high quality.
Thats funny because I heard years back that it could be done so that there was no way of telling and this came from the person that made them.This was also about ten years ago and the guy was from IL. I found a original air cleaner for a friend it was located in CA, he only paid $400 for it.If they are going for $3000 then they have gone way up were it is just stupid money. I'm glad they are repoping parts when the market gets stupid like that.Its nice that anyone that wants one can buy a repop at a fair price as long as they don't try and pass there car off as a original W car when selling or showing.

Thanks for all the replys

Last edited by Bernhard; February 11th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:53 PM

I haven't seen that style snorkel on any other air cleaners other than 68/69 Olds OAI.

We have '68 style OAI installed in the red '70. I paid $400 for a nice used air cleaner but I think it is a repop. Smaller spotwelds on snorkel to housing joint, vac pots embossed "Auto ThermAC", underside of chrome lid kinda cheesy finish, paint is solvent sensitive. I also didn't haggle over the price as I drove 50 miles to meet the guy & wasn't sure if there was variance in details. It was nice enough to not sweat it & quite suitable for the application, & I was already there.

I had a legit '68 base for a potential buy, it was a little rusty under a cheesy greenish gold spray can job & had one bent but workable snorkel, vac pots were not embossed, larger/blunter spotwelds. Owner wanted $800 for it. Since we were just doing what IMO was just a cool retrofit in a wrong year car I wasn't worried about authenticity or year.

I realize thread regards a '69 but I thought this might shed a very small amount of light on the subject & some possible things to look for as they are quite similar.

Last edited by bccan; February 25th, 2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the 6 cylinder 68 air cleaners used the same snorkel as the OAI. Look at the assembly manual
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:40 PM

Allly you are just a bit faster...my thoughts exactly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1948 Whizzer 1 384 (360x480).jpg (140.6 KB, 170 views)
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM

Good news:
"6 cylinder 68 air cleaners used the same snorkel as the OAI"

Bad news:
Those are rarer than production OAI snouts

A few yrs ago I made one using very similar snouts found on mid-70's Pontiacs in the yards. I got tired of it and put it out at the 100th? anniversary swap meet and it sold immediately at $75. I have a box, somewhere, of parts collected to do this to a few more, but there was little interest, and the repops became available, and then I got a real job.
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM

So is this 68 Actionline '6' my lottery ticket to the sweetlife? lol
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Good news:
"6 cylinder 68 air cleaners used the same snorkel as the OAI"

Bad news:
Those are rarer than production OAI snouts

A few yrs ago I made one using very similar snouts found on mid-70's Pontiacs in the yards. I got tired of it and put it out at the 100th? anniversary swap meet and it sold immediately at $75. I have a box, somewhere, of parts collected to do this to a few more, but there was little interest, and the repops became available, and then I got a real job.
I have seen OAI air cleaners and have never seen a 68 6cyl air cleaner. In the pic the 68 has a rolled lip.

Last edited by Bernhard; February 11th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:27 PM

Yes sir Bernhard, also note the absence of the raised ribs inboard & outboard of the Vacuum door.. Close but not %100
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:37 PM

Good eye I seen the outer beed but did not see the in board bead.I have used a bead roller in the past but do not know if they make one that can roll a bead inside a snorkel, the vacuum pot port is also facing in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Bernhard; February 11th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM

lol, now you're just showing off. Good one sir!
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:57 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ya I dont remember the specific details of how he grafted the assemblies together and what parts he pirated but when laid side by side to an original I could not see the difference. He even used the correct vacuum motors etc...His welds were superb and I weld so Im critical of that detail.
I just hope the repops aren't offshore!"
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:04 PM

Bernard, as you are in Vancouver, BC. Supercars Unlimited may be best for you as far as shipping costs.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Bernard, as you are in Vancouver, BC. Supercars Unlimited may be best for you as far as shipping costs.
I'm in BC I will look at what Supercars has as well.

I hope the repops are not off shore but so much stuff is made there now.
I'm big on buying Canadian and USA made products so much so I buy used before I buy off shore.
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:45 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

quote<<<I'm big on buying Canadian and USA made products so much so I buy used before I buy off shore>>>end quote.

Hats off to you brother Bernhard!!! I couldn't agree more!!! Enough filling china’s coffers while we shrivel away. Go into any of the big box stores and I mean any of them and read the labels! CHINA! I now go out of my way to NOT purchase chinese goods...period. Give it to the mom/pop places.
We need to ferret out Canadian & USA made items. They exist just have to look close...
Ex: Every vendor I spoke with about replacement gas tanks only offered offshore, sorry NOT doing it for many reasons. Upon further research I went towards my Corvette vendors. They use Spectra which is Canadian through Quanta dealers. Quanta and National Parts Depot exclusively carry Spectra. By the time I got it to my front door it was twice the cost of china. Shipping was 120. I should have looked into Greyhound….But I don’t care. Canada is fine in my book. Hands down they have the best beer and ballets. If we show the retailers we are sick of offshore and hit them where it hurts the most, their wallets, then we can speak volumes silently.
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:27 AM

quote<<<I'm big on buying Canadian and USA made products so much so I buy used before I buy off shore>>>end quote.

Hats off to you brother Bernhard!!! I couldn't agree more!!! Enough filling china’s coffers while we shrivel away. Go into any of the big box stores and I mean any of them and read the labels! CHINA! I now go out of my way to NOT purchase chinese goods...period. Give it to the mom/pop places.
We need to ferret out Canadian & USA made items. They exist just have to look close...
Ex: Every vendor I spoke with about replacement gas tanks only offered offshore, sorry NOT doing it for many reasons. Upon further research I went towards my Corvette vendors. They use Spectra which is Canadian through Quanta dealers. Quanta and National Parts Depot exclusively carry Spectra. By the time I got it to my front door it was twice the cost of china. Shipping was 120. I should have looked into Greyhound….But I don’t care. Canada is fine in my book. Hands down they have the best beer and ballets. If we show the retailers we are sick of offshore and hit them where it hurts the most, their wallets, then we can speak volumes silently.
Well said I'm 100% with you. Everyone I talk two I tell them to buy Can and USA made products.
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:20 PM

Here's a few pics of the '69 air cleaner on my '68 H/O. I'd gladly trade for a '68 version. The snorkels are 5-1/8" wide - so the 6 cylinder version is close.

An original cleaner housing alone will run ~3K.
If this is true - it's FOR SALE outright, shipping included.
Attached Images
DSCN4193.jpg (55.5 KB, 196 views)
DSCN4194.jpg (49.1 KB, 157 views)
DSCN4195.jpg (54.8 KB, 152 views)
DSCN4196.jpg (49.4 KB, 167 views)
DSCN4197.jpg (47.4 KB, 173 views)
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
Here's a few pics of the '69 air cleaner on my '68 H/O. I'd gladly trade for a '68 version. The snorkels are 5-1/8" wide - so the 6 cylinder version is close.

If this is true - it's FOR SALE outright, shipping included.
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:57 PM

Oops

Um those pictures are not of an original '69, that's a repop.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:22 AM

What makes you think it's a reproduction? I've had it for ~20 years, I purchased it used as pictured at a PA swap meet.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
What makes you think it's a reproduction? I've had it for ~20 years, I purchased it used as pictured at a PA swap meet.
I might have been a little too quick to judge on that, I was looking on my iPhone and couldn't get the pictures big enough. What I couldn't see was the wider (bulged out) part of the snorkle where the vacuum port is. It may be there I just can't tell. So sorry if I'm wrong.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Thats funny because I heard years back that it could be done so that there was no way of telling and this came from the person that made them.This was also about ten years ago and the guy was from IL.
Karl Sarpolis?

TPP air cleaners are most likely overseas. A high percentage of reproduction items they've brought to market over the years are Taiwan and other overseas locals.

Original OAI air cleaners used to bring $3K, but they have come down from there.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
How hard is it to find a original one? What do they sell for?

Is there a high quality reproduction on the market?

Bernhard they are out there, try putting a wanted ad in 442.com. In the past I have had luck there far as rare stuff

Also you can get them from 400 to 1000 in today's market pending condition

Far as repros not bad, you can get used repros for on or around 300.

I have bought used repros from this ebay seller in the past.
User name is motorco18013 , from time to time he will sell repros that I have gotten in past for 300 or under.

He just sold two yesterday a 68 and 69 both went for that.

I always keep an eye out , I missed out on the 69 yesterday out bided at last second oh well
Dean
Old March 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco

Yeah I bought the 68. I was thinking I don't need the original 68 air cleaner that I have because my car isn't a w-30, ramrod or anything special. So I bought a repro.
I'll probably end up selling the original but it's gonna have to be pried from my hands
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by kevdog442
Yeah I bought the 68. I was thinking I don't need the original 68 air cleaner that I have because my car isn't a w-30, ramrod or anything special. So I bought a repro.
I'll probably end up selling the original but it's gonna have to be pried from my hands
well if you do let me know my original ram rod one is not the greatest Dean
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:16 PM

Bernhard they are out there, try putting a wanted ad in 442.com. In the past I have had luck there far as rare stuff

Also you can get them from 400 to 1000 in today's market pending condition

Far as repros not bad, you can get used repros for on or around 300.

I have bought used repros from this ebay seller in the past.
User name is motorco18013 , from time to time he will sell repros that I have gotten in past for 300 or under.

I always keep an eye out , I missed out on the 69 yesterday out bided at last second oh well
Dean
Dean
Thanks for the reply/ advice the ram air cleaner is on the back burner.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
Karl Sarpolis?

TPP air cleaners are most likely overseas. A high percentage of reproduction items they've brought to market over the years are Taiwan and other overseas locals.

Original OAI air cleaners used to bring $3K, but they have come down from there.

Sorry I forgot his name long ago
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:28 PM

I think I have a orig 69 w 30 air if you don't find one call me tomorrow 813 267 5107 bob also have a repo for 300
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:42 PM

Ok

well if you do let me know my original ram rod one is not the greatest Dean
Ok I haven't received the repro yet, when I do, I'll see if it's comparable.
I'll let you know
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by kevdog442
Ok I haven't received the repro yet, when I do, I'll see if it's comparable.
I'll let you know

okay thanks
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:10 PM

What is the difference between the 68 and 69 Dual Snorkel air cleaners? Breather tube on the passenger side of the 69's??

Tom
68 442
70 F85
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tom442
What is the difference between the 68 and 69 Dual Snorkel air cleaners? Breather tube on the passenger side of the 69's??

Tom
68 442
70 F85
Yes, that and the connector elbow for the hot air tube on the 68 units.
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:48 PM

okay thanks
Pm sent
Old July 8th, 2021, 08:50 PM

Exclamation Beware of motorco18013 Customer Service!

I see this is a rather old post, but high caution using that supplier mentioned above "motorco18013"!

One of the large collectors in our club informed me that he was asking them a simple inquiry the other day whether it was a shadow or a condition he saw in a picture of one of their products, and they responded with a barrage of degrading and unprofessional comments! He said there were direct comments from motorco8013 that they didn't want to do business with him because he was too picky and his explanations were boring or something. He told me when he responded with wonder about how they could run a business treating a customer that way, they responded asking if he wanted to compare wealth and other comments like he was insignificant to them! He shared the eBay chat exchange with us, and it was all there and blew us all away. Unbelievable! I took a look and they have a lot of positive ratings, but with that customer service, it would have to be a last resort and willing to accept anything before anyone should chance buying anything from them!!! Look elsewhere!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 442 W30 Ram Air air cleaner?????