General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1960 dual exhaust changeover

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM

1960 dual exhaust changeover

I have a 60 Olds Dynamic 88 341 - 2 barrel and would like to install a dual exhaust system. Can I use the existing manifold for the dual side, or do I need a special dual exhaust manifold from a Super 88?

Ritch
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

I think it takes a special manifold as you suspected. I don't have experience with that particular car but did own a '69 Delta and with the rear steer (steering box behind the control arm) it made it very difficult to modify the existing manifold. People have simply taken off the crossover pipe and plugged the holes left by the procedure but that is not optimal. At any rate, welcome to CO.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM

welcome to the site, this has been discussed before. I will look around later today and see if I can find thread and post a link if no one can answer your question
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM

re. dual exhaust

Hi there; If you want dual exhaust on your '60 Olds you just have your Muffler Store install pipes using your existing Manifolds. It is not until '63 in the Olds Big Car line up did you have a specific left hand (D. S.) Manifold for Dual Exhaust set ups. Hope this helps.
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Starfire, citcap, and Oldsguy:

Thanks for the replies.

When you install the dual-side exhaust pipe on the existing manifold, is there sufficient space to get past the steering linkage? Also, the pipe would almost ride on top of the starter and would create a starter heating problem.

Ritch
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Hey; Dual Exaust does have it's draw backs by Starter over heating, but by having a really good Starter on your car will stop the problem, and maybe a small heat shield you can fabricate yourself and install it around the outside of the Starter. Muffler Shops that have been installing Systems for awhile should have all the Charts necessary to make all the correct bends with your existing Manifolds. When setting up the right Exaust the Manifold will have to be capped where the Crossover Pipe previously joined the front of the right Manifold,and that is no big deal at all. I noticed that you say your Engine is only a Two Barrel Carb, so I don't think by putting Duals on your car will make much of an improvement, until you can find a Four Barrel Carb,Manifold & Linkage. Good Luck and enjoy your Real Olds!!!!
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Hi 62 Starfire

Heat shield would probably do the job.

Do you think there is enough clearance to bring the pipe down from the manifold through the space behind the steering arm? Looks like a really tight fit there.

I was thinking of dual exhausts mostly for the sound and the look. It seems to have lots of go, even with a 2 barrel.

Thanks,
Ritch
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM

Hey Ritch; Check out your local Muffler Shop that has the ability to do your exhaust and he'll show how it's done. These "60 Olds "98"s had Dual Exhaust all the time, so some of these Guys that were doing exhaust work back in the '60s must still be around and if not they would have passed the Cards for making these pipes on to the next Generation. Olds '98,Super '88s, and Dynamics are all the same where you are concerned about up front by the Steering Box, so get talking to your muffler guy and getur on down the ROAD!!!

Last edited by 62Starfire63; May 9th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM

62Starfire

I went to Midas and the manager tried to convince me that it wasn't possible. I told him that I had been on the Oldsmobile Forum and it is in fact possible to install dual exhausts on the 1960 model. He obviously was stymied. But, he said he would give it a try. He said "It will require some extensive bending, cutting, and welding".

I thilnk he was trying to prepare me for a sizeable billing. I was tempted to go elsewhere for another opinion, but decided to stay with Midas. They are usually reliable. However, I won't be totally surprised if he decides it is too "tricky".

If he gets as far as the mufflers, I will go with the Midas round shaped with baffles. I want a nice throaty sound, but I don't want it to bark when you gear down.

I take it in Tuesday morning at 9:00. Wish me luck!

Ritch
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Ritch, you don't say where you are located. There are a couple muffler shops in the Dallas area I would recommend. I took my friends 54 Super 88 convertible to my local muffler shop I have used. This was about 4 years ago. We wanted to put twin Smitty's on it to be period correct. We had added power steering to the car. It was pretty close to impossible to get to the drivers side manifold with the power steering. We wound up splitting the tailpipe in front of the gas tank and faked it with one Smitty. Good luck with you car and let us know how it turns out.
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Past Administrator

Here's hoping they turn out nice and we look forward to progress updates then...
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Good luck. Before you commit to this have another candid conversation with the shop manager. You don't want a hacked up job. You might want to step back a bit and get another opinion. I have found that the independent shops (at least in our area) do a better job the then the chain stores and take greater care in their installs. Just my opinion
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Citcapp and I are on the same page here. A lot of times (probably most) the local shop has the owner doing the work. He is the same guy that will be there if you have problems. He also depends on referrals for new customers. The franchised shops may be okay but chances are you will have some guy doing the work that only looking for a paycheck. The local owner will have a lot more pride in his work. Just my opinion.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM

citcapp and redoldsman

You're right. I will ask him what I can expect in terms of appearance as well as quality. I previously asked a guy who is reputed to do very good with exhaust systems and he is a nice guy, but he said he didn't think he could do a satisfactory job in terms of all of the bending, etc. required. So, unfortunately, he declined.

There is one independent shop that I could get an opinion from on Monday.

Ritch
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:51 AM

Let us know how it all turns out and good luck
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Hi You Olds Lovers

I took the Olds to Midas and had the conversion done. Everything went smoothly. Where the twists and turns take place, below the dual-side manifold, it looks great. I didn't have a heat shield or equivalent installed near the starter. I will "wait and see", before I do anything.

What a great sound it has! Not too loud and not quiet, just the great sound of a Rocket V8. I used a relatively short, oval muffler that Midas has in stock (Easy Flow or something). I had them add chrome curved-down tailpipe extensions. They come out in the stock location. Looks great.

Thanks for all of your help.

Ritch
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Happy it turned out well for you. Love the sound of a Olds V8
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM

I am a newbie to this site this is my first post reply really I have a 1960 super 88 394 i am wanting to put dual exhaust as well but I have lost my job and have no cash to buy a dual exhaust but I have a 67 bel air that I recently sold my 283 motor wasn't sure if it was turbo fire couldn't find out how to tell and it has a dual exhaust with bullet mufflers can y'all let me know if it will work if I can use the same brackets if under the car is way different or if the motor sizes are just to different have basic mechanic skills I guess I was the one who pulled the motor out of the bel air if that helps skill wise thanks any info will help
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM

You can use the mufflers (if the pipes are the same diameter) from your 67 Bel Air, that is about it. Get a hacksaw or cutting torch and cut the mufflers out of the pipes if you want to reuse them. Then again, mufflers aren't too expensive. The Chevy 283 and Olds 394 are completely different engines and the 60 Super 88 and 67 Bel Air are completely different cars. Nothing much will swap between the two.
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Save your money and do it right.