General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

442 hood hinges

Old March 13th, 2017, 11:12 AM

442 hood hinges

Should hood hinges be painted that flat black like inside engine compartment? or body color or both?
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:45 AM

Hood hinges grey phosphate coated — a grayish color. You can spray it with "cast" grey and then on mist from farther way to add a dusting of flat powdery final coat .
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Randy C.

I used cast grey as stevengerard stated. But I removed the springs, cleaned 'em up and painted them stainless steel. The assembled hinges look pretty close to original even though they are painted.

Randy C.
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:45 PM

Thanks guys I have a old set from a parts car that are at least a matched set that I have already got rust off of and I can see grey on one and somebody must have painted other black that will not come off easy... may just replace springs as I cant do inside of springs... not sure but I have been living with one bad hinge for 2 years and don't want to have to do this again soon... I appreciate the input... I have some of the aspen green in paint can and will mist it after the cast paint... what is best lubricant for the hinges?
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:48 PM

X3...they were grey phosphate. The technique Steven mentioned is very good, I've used it myself for some parts on my GS. My hinges I use POR 15 manifold factory grey, it's very durable, and an absolutely killer look. You can do them and the springs ON the car by carefully masking, and remove one bolt at a time. You use a foam brush, you don't need to bake them. Bare in mind I did my 442 hinges about 18 YEARS ago, they have been opened hundreds of times. The car scored 999 last time out for Sr. Preservation, I've never had anybody question them. It's one of the best "tricks" I know.
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:51 PM

You do the springs by partially closing the hood, you can paint this stuff right over the black scuffed.
Old March 14th, 2017, 12:51 AM

I just ordered the por 15 manifold grey as I need the manifolds painted anyhow then I will give light dusting of aspen green after... thanks for the help guys!
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:08 AM

you don't need to mist it with the aspen green. I meant you mist it with the cast grey from a distance as that adds a little texture and flatness to the finish. If you mist it with green it will look like over spray. No need for that - unless you want to.
Old March 14th, 2017, 02:14 PM

sorry didn't know and couldn't remember what my olds cars hinges looked like even though I looked at them many times... thank you for the guidance guys
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:51 PM

Ok as a follow up I have finished the used hinges and they look brand new... I used phosphoric acid and scrubbed them down... rinsed the rust and old paint off... let dry for a day then used wire brush to make surface finish better... wiped down with cloth and painted with the POR-15 grey manifold paint mentioned above and they look fantastic! Going to oil and install them today... thank you all for much appreciated advise!
Old March 19th, 2017, 06:16 PM

Good deal, glad you are happy with them. I've had hinges plated before, but for a driven car that stuff has a nice durable, driveable finish.
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:17 PM

installed and happy

lookin good