General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Garage finally

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2015, 05:54 PM

Garage finally

So finally decided to build my garage after looking at the foundation for 12 yrs.
It seems once kids are born, time and money become scarce. Life is too short so WTH. 28x38 with a second floor
I'm looking for ideas or examples of a good shop set up or anything else.
Pictures are good so don't be shy.
Contemplating what material to put on the interior walls besides the usual sheetrock/plaster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4259.JPG (120.9 KB, 158 views)
IMG_4261.JPG (112.0 KB, 153 views)
IMG_4283.JPG (151.6 KB, 165 views)
Old August 26th, 2015, 07:59 PM
72 Olds CS

looks pretty sweet and good size too.

any heat source in mind ?

i dont have (good) heat but it is well insulated i use a heater on a propane tank its ok but if its real cold (like last winter) i just dont go out there....my buddy used an outdoor wood furnace and radiant floor heat keep his place at 50 and the floor is never cold concrete (its really nice)

i sat on my foundation for 6 years before i built, then i wished i had a bigger foundation LOL

my garage is attached to the house, i put the compressor in the celler and ran a hard line out to the garage, this cuts down on moisture in lines as the comp is right next to the dehumidifier and cuts noise too (well in the garage at least )

also ran 20 amp 110 outlets and 2 50 amp 220 outlets on opposite corners for welder

last i have a steel beam across the ctr of the building with a trolley and chainfall works great to hoist stuff outta my truck (or put into truck) as well as pull engines and lifts sleds and bikes when working on them. that alone has saved me many a back ache

Last edited by RetroRanger; August 26th, 2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:55 AM

I bought a propane hot air furnace that I found on Craigslist that is like new. I'm planning on setting that up with some duct work and split the system for garage and second floor? I think radiant heat would have been the way to go but wasn't thinking about that 10 yrs ago. I don't want a big utility bill but I don't want it to go below 40 degrees in the winter so we'll see?
After looking at the foundation for yrs I thought I should have made it bigger but now when it comes to building it, it's big enough for now. I'm sure it will fill up with stuff in no time.
My garage being detached its like another house. I have a 2" conduit for a 100 amp service and a water line that I put in when I did foundation. The only thing that bums me out is no bathroom or sink because I am on septic system and this is way too far from my current system to hook up, otherwise I could probably live out there.
I like your compressor location. I'm thinking of building a little vented, insulated closet to put around a compressor which I don't have yet?
I did I joists so I would have no posts. I beam would have been nice though.
I've been thinking about lighting also. What kind of lights do you have?
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:30 AM

put the closet outside the building- a shed.

Why have the noise of the compressor inside at all?

Jib crane at the big door is a good idea too. Fabricate as needed. Beasty workbenches. Large SS sink for a workbench- even if the "drain" goes to a bucket, you can wash things nicely.
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:04 AM
72 Olds CS

I've got the tube LEDs for lights, they used to be 4' fluorescents but I converted them to tLEDs a year or so ago. They are instant on no flicker all temp compatible they light up the place like an operating room they are a nice bright white, you can buy the entire setup or if u have older fluorescent fixtures the conversion is simple.

I just saw a portable gantry crane (jib?) on cl . That does essentially the same as the steel beam I'll see if I can locate it again

I like the ss sink idea !
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Shoveling Snow

2x6 or 2x4 walls?
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:08 AM

Nice Paul!

How high is the ceiling?

You need a 2 post lift!
Old August 27th, 2015, 08:43 AM

Wow looks great Paul! Good luck and keep us posted...
Old August 27th, 2015, 09:42 AM

I put a bunch of 4' T8's in mine. If they're all ceiling mounted you're still going to need work lights down low.

The 20 amp circuits are a good idea - I did 15 amps and later had to add a couple 20 amps. Outlet bottoms 4' off the floor (they won't get blocked by plywood etc leaning on walls) and lots of them. I put mine 6' apart around the entire shop. If I block one with a shelving unit, there's always another close by.

I also wired a couple outlets for my workbench using split circuits like in a kitchen. That might have been overkill, but it was easier to do while the walls were open...

If you like garage bling like neon/light up signs, consider another bank of outlets high around the perimeter on a switch.

I've seen people use OSB, Plywood and curogated tin sheeting on the lower half of walls. I used drywall on mine and no problems.
Old August 27th, 2015, 01:35 PM
same but different

That looks to be a nice set up. My garage is close to that size but no upper level.

At least three things come to mind about my garage.
I wish it were bigger..
Better lighting...down low.
A few more electrical outlets...

I like the idea of a sink also...

I have plywood down low and peg board up high.( My garage has two concrete walls).Some of the plywood is covered in cabinets/or work bench area. I have a fair share of real estate in peg board also, works for me.

If you choose a light paint color it will help somewhat in reflecting light.

I've got no idea how to quiet down a compressor, other than to install in off site/away or build an enclosure. That comes with problems too. Mine is "kinda" built in. Its muffeled, but not quiet, and still not big enough. I have it plumbed in copper pipe with drains and three drops, filtered to of course.
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:15 PM

Ceiling ends up at 11' finished. I planned for that exact reason Paul.
Whats a good and inexpensive two post lift?
Walls are all 2x6 construction.
Good call on the outlets up high.
I like the idea of the compressor outside.
Are Beasty work benches a brand?
I was thinking of making my own.
Leaning towards LED ceiling strip lights even though more costly I think they are brighter and use less energy.
I was also thinking of using FRP panels on their side 4' up off foundation for easy cleaning. Its the stuff they use in commercial kitchens.
Epoxy floor paint for easy clean up.
Love to see some pix of other garages.
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

scrappie, check this forum out for a ton of ideas and info.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Thanks, A guy could get lost on that site.
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Majored in rear tire demo

You're in eastern MA. Where? I am too.

Just a few thoughts, Scrappie:

Spray foam insulation...walls and ceilings. You'll be glad you did.

I don't know if I'd want a compressor outside in the weather we have here in winter. I have a Bel-Aire 318VLE in my garage. Not super loud and after running a couple of cycles will help make the garage pretty comfy.

As far as lifts are concerned, good and cheap are not words to be used in the same sentence. I would avoid anything made from chinesium. The walls of the tubing are thinner. Most are not certified. YOU are under it. Call Gary Bloom. He's a great guy and will find a lift to suit your needs that is safe. https://garybloomsales.com

Paul
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Scrappie,

I'm just a little farther down the path than you are on my new garage. It's a 30x48 stick built with 12 foot walls and a 7/12 pitch that gave me enough room upstairs to use attic storage trusses. The space upstairs is 10 ft wide and a little over 7 ft tall in the center. It should give me more than enough space to keep things out of my way downstairs. They just sheetrocked it yesterday. It's basically divided into two sections. The far right is for my '71 442 convertible and my wife's '74 Javelin. I needed them out of our attached garage but I didn't want to have to constantly clean them if they were parked in my work area.

My compressor is going into the closet right behind where you see it in the pictures. The open area to the right of that is for my engine hoist and other larger tools so they are out of the way. The floor was designed with deep pads for a lift. I'm getting far too old to lay on my back under a car any more. If anyone is interested, my whole build is at:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=291325

I can't reccomend the Garage Journal site enough. It's just like this one - full of great people with great experience and knowledge and more than willing to share it.
Attached Images
008.JPG (2.71 MB, 86 views)
012.JPG (1.83 MB, 79 views)
014.JPG (2.80 MB, 79 views)
007.JPG (2.88 MB, 77 views)
Old August 28th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Olds fanatic

garagejournal

I totally agree about the garagejournal web site. I've spent many hours on that site and have gotten a lot of ideas, inspiration and also motivation.

You're right...it's very easy to get lost in all that content.
Old August 28th, 2015, 06:46 PM

That is a nice looking building. I dig the separate rooms. Great storage above also.
I'm gonna check out your build on garage journal.
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:31 PM

You can find photos of my garage build here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2330. A lot of good inspiration from the garage journal folks, although I can't say I'm a fan of the current management. But that's a different discussion.
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM

My garage is planned for next year. So far, I have space in my backyard. I will go to that site for ideas.
Old August 29th, 2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2Olds4U
You're in eastern MA. Where? I am too.

Just a few thoughts, Scrappie:

Spray foam insulation...walls and ceilings. You'll be glad you did.

I don't know if I'd want a compressor outside in the weather we have here in winter. I have a Bel-Aire 318VLE in my garage. Not super loud and after running a couple of cycles will help make the garage pretty comfy.

As far as lifts are concerned, good and cheap are not words to be used in the same sentence. I would avoid anything made from chinesium. The walls of the tubing are thinner. Most are not certified. YOU are under it. Call Gary Bloom. He's a great guy and will find a lift to suit your needs that is safe. https://garybloomsales.com

Paul
I'm in Mendon MA

Last edited by scrappie; August 29th, 2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add text
Old August 29th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
You can find photos of my garage build here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2330. A lot of good inspiration from the garage journal folks, although I can't say I'm a fan of the current management. But that's a different discussion.
Hey VI Cutty any chance your an aviator?

I see V1 cut in your user name and if your a pilot you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old August 29th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
Hey VI Cutty any chance your an aviator?

I see V1 cut in your user name and if your a pilot you'll know what I'm talking about.
Nope, as much as I like vintage aircraft I'm nothing more than a passenger in the air. The VI stands for Vancouver Island (where I live) and the Cutty because I created the nickname before I knew many don't like referring to Cutli as "Cutty".
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:23 AM

Gotcha
Old April 12th, 2016, 08:12 AM

overdue update on garage

Yeah so I finished my garage last fall just in time to get my car in for the winter. Now I just have to save for another 10 yrs for restoration and some nice equipment like: air compressor, blasting cabinet,mig welder, rotisserie and maybe a lift. Not necessarily in that order but my wish list anyway.
I've been doing a little research on compressors, anybody have any recommendations on a good reasonably priced compressor? I have a dedicated 220 line ready to go. Any recommendations or advice on any other equipment I mentioned is welcomed also.
Attached Images
IMG_2923.JPG (1.85 MB, 67 views)
IMG_2996.JPG (1.35 MB, 68 views)
IMG_3067.JPG (1.84 MB, 80 views)
IMG_3068.JPG (1.61 MB, 75 views)
Old April 12th, 2016, 08:16 AM

Not sure why the last two pix are sideways?
Maybe one of the administrators could fix?

Last edited by scrappie; April 12th, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old April 12th, 2016, 09:16 AM

Wow, looks great. Lots of space and light.

It looks like you used a coating on the floor, what did you use and how is it holding up?
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dan K
Wow, looks great. Lots of space and light.

It looks like you used a coating on the floor, what did you use and how is it holding up?
Its a two step industrial epoxy. First cleaned and scuffed slab then primer and let dry for 24hrs. Next step was the top coat epoxy which was mixed with a hardener. I broadcasted some silica sand as I went to give it a non-slip surface otherwise it would be like a skating rink. The floor so far is holding up great. I have spilled oil, diesel fuel and brake fluid and it just wipes up clean with a rag.
Stuff wasn't cheap tho but worth it IMO. Let me know if you need more info on product.
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:32 PM

Compressor

Regarding a suggestion for a compressor for your new/impressive garage shop: Two years ago I bought an Ingersoll Rand 5/80 unit on sale from Murdochs for $1100. Best compressor I've ever had. It keeps up, and even outruns my 40# blast cabinet from HF. I can blast literally nonstop for hours without running out of air. It also runs all my air tools with no lack of CFM. My legs and back get tired from standing in front of leaning over my blast cabinet, meanwhile the compressor will catch up and turn off, catch up and turn off, cycling as long as I need it.
Old April 13th, 2016, 03:43 AM

Thanks for the input. I always thought IR was a good brand with good reputation until I found some reviews on aircompresors direct website. The majority of complaints were for poor quality and foreign made parts? You seem to have had good luck with yours though.
Old April 13th, 2016, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the input. I always thought IR was a good brand with good reputation until I found some reviews on aircompresors direct website. The majority of complaints were for poor quality and foreign made parts? You seem to have had good luck with yours though.
I had an IR that I loved. Would have likely lasted the rest of my life but I outgrew it. I sold it and got another IR 80 gallon 2 stage and love it also. Only had this one for two two years but no problems with either one of them. This one did have alot of nasty crap and metallic in the first oil change. Looked as if they did not wash out the inside before assembly. I changed oil 3 times real quick after I got it and now it is clean inside. Yes, It has foreign parts though... What ever you get just be sure it is a cast iron compressor. I see lots of people having trouble with the aluminum ones long term.
Old April 13th, 2016, 05:12 AM

Thx for your input
Old April 13th, 2016, 05:22 AM

i didn't see refrigerator or beer on your wish list; guess you already have those
Old April 13th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Yeah so I finished my garage last fall just in time to get my car in for the winter. Now I just have to save for another 10 yrs for restoration and some nice equipment like: air compressor, blasting cabinet,mig welder, rotisserie and maybe a lift. Not necessarily in that order but my wish list anyway.
I've been doing a little research on compressors, anybody have any recommendations on a good reasonably priced compressor? I have a dedicated 220 line ready to go. Any recommendations or advice on any other equipment I mentioned is welcomed also.
Great job. I am sooooo jealous of you. I have a 20 x 20, 2 car garage with no heat and the electricity stopped working but I have a solar powered exhaust fan to store both of my Cutlasses and a Snap On toolbox with a locker in between. I really cant complain. At least I have a garage.
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:08 AM

Dream shop

Scrapple,

Very cool shop!! I love the design. Like you, I have waited a very long time to have a dream shop. Now that we live in the country on 8 acres, I was finally able to pull the trigger. The building is about 30'x50' with an upstairs storage attic. It's basically divided into two separate spaces. I wanted an area separate from the work space where I could keep my nicer cars clean from all the crap you stir up working on them

The pictures were taken during construction. It's pretty much finished now - although I'm not so sure they're ever really done. In the one pic you can see my compressor. It's the large one from Lowes, 60 gallon and 150 psi. It's probably not the greatest but so far it has worked pretty well for the way I use it. They're inexpensive enough that I could always upgrade it later. It's sitting outside the closet I designed for it. They are pretty loud and I wanted a sound insulated space for it so it wouldn't drone out everything else. There is also a pic of the unfinished attic storage area. I have a 7' clear height so I can actually walk up there. It's great to be able to get stuff upstairs and out of your work area so your not constantly stumbling over it.

The last pic is my current project - a '70 442 convertible along with a pretty good idea od how the interior is finished. The shop was designed for a lift but I haven't bought it yet. I'm waiting to separate the body from the frame until I have the lift. I'm just to old (and fearful of working under jack stands) to be crawling around on the floor any more.
Attached Images
008.JPG (2.71 MB, 27 views)
012.JPG (1.83 MB, 21 views)
014.JPG (2.80 MB, 24 views)
004.JPG (2.06 MB, 34 views)
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
i didn't see refrigerator or beer on your wish list; guess you already have those
Refrigerator is built un to my tool box but I can't seem to keep it stocked
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ELY442
Great job. I am sooooo jealous of you. I have a 20 x 20, 2 car garage with no heat and the electricity stopped working but I have a solar powered exhaust fan to store both of my Cutlasses and a Snap On toolbox with a locker in between. I really cant complain. At least I have a garage.
Your right you can't complain, I used to have a tent
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by rand5204
Scrapple,

Very cool shop!! I love the design. Like you, I have waited a very long time to have a dream shop. Now that we live in the country on 8 acres, I was finally able to pull the trigger. The building is about 30'x50' with an upstairs storage attic. It's basically divided into two separate spaces. I wanted an area separate from the work space where I could keep my nicer cars clean from all the crap you stir up working on them

The pictures were taken during construction. It's pretty much finished now - although I'm not so sure they're ever really done. In the one pic you can see my compressor. It's the large one from Lowes, 60 gallon and 150 psi. It's probably not the greatest but so far it has worked pretty well for the way I use it. They're inexpensive enough that I could always upgrade it later. It's sitting outside the closet I designed for it. They are pretty loud and I wanted a sound insulated space for it so it wouldn't drone out everything else. There is also a pic of the unfinished attic storage area. I have a 7' clear height so I can actually walk up there. It's great to be able to get stuff upstairs and out of your work area so your not constantly stumbling over it.

The last pic is my current project - a '70 442 convertible along with a pretty good idea od how the interior is finished. The shop was designed for a lift but I haven't bought it yet. I'm waiting to separate the body from the frame until I have the lift. I'm just to old (and fearful of working under jack stands) to be crawling around on the floor any more.
That is a nice set up, I remember admiring it last year. Id like to see some more pix of the car though. Some details on color inside and out along with options?
Looks like a nice project. Hows the motor? auto or 4spd?
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:02 PM

I'm in Mass too, Braintree. I'm renovating a dump in Weymouth. I need to rebuild a one car garage that my Cutlass is in. I had to give up finding a garage in good condition. So many built 60 years ago have bad sills. My house is plenty high enough but the detached garage was built too low. So many properties I looked at had the same situation.
Old April 14th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Olds Fever

Thought I would share my work in progress... Although, the work in progress has slowed down a little, because I have already filled it, both levels...
One suggestion to anyone building a new shop... MAKE SURE IT IS COMPLETED BEFORE MOVING ANYTHING IN...
Don't ask me how I know, just saying...
Attached Images
DSCF0851.JPG (2.41 MB, 21 views)
DSCF0857.JPG (2.42 MB, 22 views)
DSCF0856.JPG (2.41 MB, 21 views)
DSCF0853.JPG (2.43 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by CRUZN 66; April 14th, 2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old April 14th, 2016, 05:37 PM

Now thats a garage! What is the size of that?
I made sure nothing was in my garage until I could just look at the big open space for a while to plan the layout.
My wife couldn't wait, and still tries to put all kinds of stuff in there. I just lock the door.

Quick Reply: Garage finally