General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Radio knobs

Old May 27th, 2015, 08:15 AM

Radio *****

Hello,

I've got a 70 Cutlass rolling restoration.

I had a modern sound system installed under the dash. I found a stock Olds AM radio on ebay to fill up the empty space in the dash and installed it. It's just for looks...not even hooked up.

Anyway, I called OPGI to order some ***** and bezels for the stock radio. The ***** are listed on the website as am/fm *****. The OPGI guy said that the ***** and bezels won't fit an am radio because the stems are different sizes.

Is he correct? If so, does anyone know where I can find some ***** for that am radio?

Thanks for the help guys. I've never posted before, since most of my questions can be answered with a simple search. But I couldn't find this one.

ETA: Oops...I just read the sticky about what this forum is for. I'll repost in the correct subforum

Last edited by Jim B.; May 27th, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:28 AM

Radio *****

Hello,

I've got a 70 Cutlass rolling restoration.

I had a modern sound system installed under the dash. I found a stock Olds AM radio on ebay to fill up the empty space in the dash and installed it. It's just for looks...not even hooked up.

Anyway, I called OPGI to order some ***** and bezels for the stock radio. The ***** are listed on the website as am/fm *****. The OPGI guy said that the ***** and bezels won't fit an am radio because the stems are different sizes.

Is he correct? If so, does anyone know where I can find some ***** for that am radio?
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I moved your thread. If I remember right the shafts are all the same size.
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:52 AM

Thank you.
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:07 PM

The center shafts are all the same diameter and should have a "D" shape to them. The volume and tuner ***** will all interchange. The problems will be with the secondary *****. The tone **** if you will. The FM radio has a tone **** behind the volume **** and a balance **** behind the tuner. The AM radio only has a tone **** behind the volume and a fake behind the tuner. Some of the later units even had a triple set of ***** with volume, treble, and bass on the left and tuner, balance, and fade on the right. The triple sets sometimes have different size holes in them than the double **** set and therefore will not interchange.
Old May 28th, 2015, 02:46 AM

Am/FM stereo right side fader ***** are different than AM ***** because the FM stereo part of the radio must have two channels and therefor the fader control is built into the radio. On an AM radio you could have one front speaker or two with the extra one in the rear package shelf with the corresponding three prong fader plugged in to control the two speakers. The outer **** will be the same for both sides.