General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help! Car wont start!

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Help! Car wont start!

Hello,

I have a 6cyl, 1980 Cutlass Supreme. It's in fine shape but I let it sit a little too long this winter. Once in a while I was turning it over and letting it run for 5-10 minutes or so but I let it go a little too long this time.

My first guess was the battery, I brought it in to be charged, which I did (it's pretty new).

The car wants to start. It feels like fuel is not getting into the engine. I am not a mechanic so I don't really know what to do about this. Any ideas?
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:18 AM

New batteries can fail
Battery power and starter motor are the starting system, which is a good thing to have but by no means necessary for the car to run.

Let's assume that it is cranking OK with the now-charged battery, but not starting.

If you suspect no fuel why not spray some Starting Fluid into the engine and if then it catches and dies, look into fuel pump, fuse [assuming injected engine], etc.

Spark is easy to check for, just put any plug wire on your tongue while cranking the engine. [Don't actually do that]
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OldManTucker
Hello,

I have a 6cyl, 1980 Cutlass Supreme. It's in fine shape but I let it sit a little too long this winter. Once in a while I was turning it over and letting it run for 5-10 minutes or so but I let it go a little too long this time.

My first guess was the battery, I brought it in to be charged, which I did (it's pretty new).

The car wants to start. It feels like fuel is not getting into the engine. I am not a mechanic so I don't really know what to do about this. Any ideas?
Just so we're clear, your problem is that the engine turns over with the starter, but won't start. Your problem could be ignition, fuel, or choke. The first thing to do is to pull one plug wire and hold it near a ground point while cranking the engine to verify you have spark. I usually stick a phillips screwdriver in the plug boot and use the handle of the screwdriver as an insulated place to hold while cranking. If you don't get spark, troubleshoot the ignition.

Assuming you have spark, the next thing is to verify that the choke is closed with the engine cold. Assuming it is working properly, then hold the choke open and look down the carb while pumping the accelerator. You should see a stream of gas coming from the accelerator pump shooters in the primary bores. If not, find the fuel problem.

Usually, problems with starting after sitting are caused by the additives in gasoline gelling in the carb during storage and plugging the idle jets.
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by Octania
New batteries can fail
Battery power and starter motor are the starting system, which is a good thing to have but by no means necessary for the car to run.

Let's assume that it is cranking OK with the now-charged battery, but not starting.

If you suspect no fuel why not spray some Starting Fluid into the engine and if then it catches and dies, look into fuel pump, fuse [assuming injected engine], etc.

Spark is easy to check for, just put any plug wire on your tongue while cranking the engine. [Don't actually do that]

Why dont you tell him to look down the gas tank with a cigarette lighter?
Old April 28th, 2015, 01:06 PM

I check out the spark and get some starter fluid.

Keep the ideas coming. I love this site!
Old April 28th, 2015, 04:27 PM

sounds like bad gas to me, if the car was running when parked and you were starting it once in a while. gas can go sour over winter and cause a no start. not likely that something broke or went bad sitting there unless it was there for years.
Old April 28th, 2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ELY442
Why dont you tell him to look down the gas tank with a cigarette lighter?
We don't want some innocent bystander hurt.

Checking spark with your tongue would be hella amusing though

I learned once not to turn the HEI distributor by grabbing the top of the cap while it is running.

Last edited by Octania; April 28th, 2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old April 28th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldManTucker
I check out the spark and get some starter fluid.

Keep the ideas coming. I love this site!
Bad idea if you are going to use starter fluid. You can damage your motor in no time. Just get a fresh can of gasoline and pour some in a cup and pour it down the carburetor.
Old April 29th, 2015, 05:38 PM

pffft
really
how is it they still sell the stuff and I have managed to use SF many times with no ill effect AFAIK ??

Sure, use gasoline. It is the correct juice. I was thinking fuel injected engine at first, 1980?, and it is really easy to get SF into an FI engine by way of any hose pulled off the intake...

Last edited by Octania; April 29th, 2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:29 PM

Update

I figured I owed it to all of you to let you guys know what's happening. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts.

I poured a little gas into the carburetor, the engine cranked right over and then stalled. I did this twice.

Then I poured 2 gallons of new gas into the tank with no luck.

I guess it's a whole tank of bad gas which would need to be syphoned out somehow and/or there is something wrong with the fuel lines.

This is so weird as there were no symptoms of this so I have no idea where to start. What a pain in the ***!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:22 PM
morgan

I wouldnt drain the tank yet...when was the fuel filter replaced last could be severly clogged i would check that first and see how long the car runs the crappy gas will burn thru or your fuel pump may be bad as sonething i would check after the fuel filter
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:29 PM
same but different

When you press the throttle a couple of times, is gas squirting out in the carb?

If NOT....At this point I would be checking the fuel pump operation. You can undo the fuel line a the pump and run into a can. Turn over engine and see if will fill the can up.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:36 PM
Administrator

I doubt the gas is bad enough to effect it starting, my gut would be seeing if, as the others said, fuel to the carb from the pump.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:42 PM

hmm, well if it has bad gas it will still try to run at least so if you can pour some in the carb and it starts up and runs then dies you have no fuel pressure lots of could be's but bottom line. I would replaced the fuel pump and the filter together and call it a day.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:03 PM

Agreed. Easy fix. You can put 2-3 oz of fuel into the carb BOWL by way of the vent tube and then run her for a minute or three while u watch fluid pumped or not via the temporary line you run from the FP to a receptacle of your choice.

A few tricks are to use a flare wrench on the fuel line to carb fitting and use the 1" wrench to hold still the carb fittng and filter housing so that the line does not twist....