General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Damsel in Distress Carburetor Help

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2015, 11:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
And if you want to see fireworks, just try calling him Allen.

- Eric
Huh? Been called worse that that Eric. Does it ever bother you if someone spells your name wrong? I'm sure you've seen it from time to time. Now if someone's doing it just to be a jerk, different story. This site doesn't lean that way for the most part. If you check back, I did go back and fix my typo re: Terry's name.
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:40 PM

Terry, I like your sense of humor and "go at it" attitude, and I would have guessed wrong on your name...Teri or Terri, so I would have been in the dog house also.
Old May 1st, 2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by becerra66
. I really dont care..I got my Cutlass, Im driving the Cutlass, and I may just go out in the Cutlass tonight.....me sticking my tongue out at my BF who cant this this post..but makes me feel better
Thats the feeling I have had for the past 35 years. A drive in the Cutlass has always been fun and makes me feel good.

Next project will be the gaskets to the exhaust intake manifold...right Eric thats what you said...U member u said for me to put my hand around and feel for a leak well that's where I feel it from...
That is the choke heater. Fel Pro makes that gasket and you should be able to get one at the local parts store. NAPA has always been a good source for these for me.

Choke heater tube gasket
FEL-PRO Part # 72586
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Fun71
That is the choke heater. Fel Pro makes that gasket and you should be able to get one at the local parts store. NAPA has always been a good source for these for me.
Or is it the intake manifold gasket at the exhaust crossover passage?

I'm not sure.

- Eric
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:48 AM

You can use a pc of hose such as vacuum line to your ear to probe around and pinpoint where noises like leaks are coming from. Warning- when you find the exhaust leak it will be LOUD. So maybe not put the ear end of the hose IN the ear but near it.

Replace that kinked fuel line with a real one.

You should press on the gas pedal ONCE, then RELEASE it to start a cold engine. The only time you should floor the pedal is if cranking and pumping has flooded the engine and you need to use the unloader feature. Please review the post I made about how a choke and start of a long-cold engine should go.

Press once to squirt in fuel and set the choke/ Fast Idle Cam. Release pedal and car should start and settle into high idle. After oh 30 seconds, tap pedal again to drop to the next lowest Fast Idle step.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:42 AM
Damsel in Distress

Talking Guten Morgen - Everyone

Octania -Mijo Lindo Chulu look at this pic, I think u missed a few post, do u member when u told me to go get a drink of water sip on it then pinch the straw, thats what happening to ur gas u mentioned....MEMBER!!!!we are so pasted the carburetor...me smiling really big at you..Hello Kitty where uve been....I even posted a message back to u...for you to go suck on my straw now....me smiling again at U....

I think if I member correctly Danny carb guy said it was the intake manifolds, he felt it...I texted him right now to confirm

Kenneth the cutlass does have that emotional affect on us don't it...
It's CRAZY, Ive been in a weird funk since she's been parked, and once she's back on the road..." Its a MIRACLE, I'm cured" me smiling...
And Kenneth going to go cut the back yard...ughhhhh then I can go work on the car, make sure I have the tools to replace the gaskets...

I hope he realizes he's like thisssssss close of me walking out of his life...
Question to u men---- u all know when ur messing up, RIGHT, or u know when the misses is so done with u righttttttt...men are not stupid they are really smart...lol me giggling hahahehehhohoho....
and he wants a ride in my cutlass...WHAT!!!...no men allowed in my cutlass it's for girls only

Anyways, everyone have a great wonderful day, it's warm and nice so far....hugs to all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Passenger view.jpg (90.6 KB, 31 views)
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Terry? I'd give him a ride in the Cutlass. Heck, my missus rides in mine and when she asked me to put her name on the title along with mine it was no big deal. I get to work on it and drive it. She could drive it if she wanted to but she prefers just o ride in it. The car isn't gender specific to me. Mine's called the Silver Surfer. My Dad used to call his 67 Josie.

Enjoy your ride but don't be afraid to show it off or give rides to special people in your life.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
Damsel in Distress

No rings...no rides...lol
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Boy you're tough...my Mrs. would be pissed if I had to give rings to any other gals who might get a ride in my Cutlass.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Administrator

A few simple word changes and you have a theme song...

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Question to u men---- u all know when ur messing up, RIGHT, or u know when the misses is so done with u righttttttt...men are not stupid they are really smart...
Welllllll... Actually, I would suggest that most men have no idea when they're on thin ice. Men tend to be kind of blind that way.

You pretty much have to hold their face in one hand, so they're looking at you, and say what you mean very, very slowly.

The saying "All men are dogs" applies well here:
How would you treat a dog who isn't behaving the way you want?
You wouldn't sit down and have a long talk with him.
You'd either give him a swat and say "BAD!" or you'd take his nose and rub it in what he did wrong.
People who say, "Now, Fluffy, that was just just a bad thing to do. You don't jump up on the counter and eat the steak. No, no, no. The steak is people food, and you aren't allowed on the counter. Don't do that again, Fluffy" have badly behaved dogs.
People who train their dogs with a 2x4 in one hand and a piece of raw meat in the other hand have very well behaved dogs.

- Eric
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:25 PM
Damsel in Distress

Allan that's right she's your wife, RIGHT....alrighty then!!!!

Eric, lol to funny I've never really listen to the song...hit the nail on the nose....

Eric, men ayayayaya....I don't believe that uall don't have a clue, I believe you pretend NOT to have CLUE so you can be excused!!!! which sometimes work...me smiling...

Ok Eric so I have to take his nose and rub it in what he did wrong, or I need a 2x4 and some raw meat..........ok ok I see the connection....interesting...

Got it!!! I remember a class -Ivan Pavlov's Conditioning, I see I see....well I will try the steak before the 2x4....see if that's works....
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Eric, men ayayayaya....I don't believe that uall don't have a clue, I believe you pretend NOT to have CLUE so you can be excused!!!! which sometimes work...me smiling...
We really don't...
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:35 PM
It's a Cutlass.

just...... wow.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:26 PM
Damsel in Distress

Hi Jeff in Colorado,

How is you....as Johnny Cash would say.....

Can you define your wow....
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:13 AM
It's a Cutlass.

Wink

Hi becerra66.

I reckon not.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:46 AM
Damsel in Distress

Come on now don't be shy, I see something stirring in that brain of yours...

we just happen to talk about a lot of things here...Mostly my cutlass but I do tend to stray at times don't I Eric#1, Eric- oldcutlass, Allan....

OCTANIA!!!! dear Octania!!!!! Octania....well.....OCTANIA did u see my new straw or NOT....
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Not to stray, but our poor Spurs will have to buy tickets to the final this year. Oh well...
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Do we get side tracked? Nope, course not, when we talk carbs we also talk calories and stuff too. Pass de pasghetti would ja? Plenty of 2 armed exercise watching de games, right?
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:42 AM
Damsel in Distress

Oh Eric I know, what a upset to the SPURS fans, we love them anyways..boo hoo heart breaking it was..

Allan - too funny....Squirrel.....
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:21 AM
Damsel in Distress

Saw my BEST life time friend

Not sure if uall aware, my hometown is Brownsville Texas..

Last night my best life time friend came into town with her boyfriend that lives in Brownsville too..Last night we took pics drank and caught up with each other......It's amazing how seeing a old time friend lifts your spirits

But Allan the boyfriend has a auto body shop YES!!!!, they are on there way to my house so he can look at the cutlass during the day to give me a paint job estimate...Yes I will have to get the car to Brownsville though....

Any ways wanted to share a few pics from last night...after the Spurs game
Attached Images
best life time friend.jpg (42.5 KB, 48 views)
sandy and me.jpg (39.6 KB, 45 views)
Old May 4th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Damsel in Distress

Hey favorite peeps...

Ok I have a CRAZY idea I want to do...but need some advice...suggestions etc...you know Ive been talking of a PARTY right..well just so u know I love to throw parties food and fun for everyone right..

OK here it goes..I want to have a classic auto show...But Ive never been to one....Are there entry fees, what about prizes..or does it depend on what type of show I have....
I am serious VERY serious to pull this off...

I just called the owners of Castillo's Ice House & Softball Complex, I got permission to have a classic car show JUST NOW
12567 Somerset Rd, Von Ormy, TX 78073

Eric, Allan, Eric, Kenneth, Eric, Octania!!!!!!

Ideas and suggestions Please.......

Last edited by becerra66; May 5th, 2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old May 4th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Administrator

A car show is expensive to organize. I'd make it a show and shine, no prizes and no fee. Just music, fun, and good company. You need to find the websites that people post their shows on, it's usually free. Facebook is great if your linked to local car folk. I think the San Antonio newspapers have some public announcement ads that are free. Contact the local car clubs etc. you might want to see if you can provide low cost food and drinks. We throw one once a month, sometimes with a band, and provide hotdogs, hamburgers, etc,. Usually attract around 50+ local cars + a lot of lookers, on a Saturday afternoon.
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Damsel in Distress

Thanks Eric,
Doing research, checking out other car shows flyers and advertising, seeing how they do there's..There's one coming up this weekend hopefully I can check it out..see how things are done

Meat- hotdogs or hamburgers, I got the hook up for that too...My X works at Exce/Cargilll Meats Distributing I can buy that buy the Boxes..Good idea and not too expensive. I can make a few banners for the sports complex and I can print my own flyers too..

Ima have a meeting with the owners this weekend, see what we can come up with.

They have lots of events out at the bar/sport complex...there's a lot of room too...
Music mmmm.mmmmm if Im lucky maybe they will cough up the bill for that....

Ok gona go do more research...input input johnny 5 alive!!!!!
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Administrator

A good home stereo and a power outlet, will play the music of your choice.
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I haven't done any organizing for car shows so I can't really offer anything that way. One thing I will suggest is IF you decide to have a Show n Shine (free entry or such) consider having a donation table for a registered charity that people can donate to? Most peeps I've seen at car shows are willing to step up beyond just showing off their rides. Just make it obvious that donations are welcome but not mandatory. There's so much need in the world today.

I wish you the very best on your venture Terry! Go get em.
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Damsel in Distress

Talking I like both ideas

@ Eric - I'd make it a show and shine, no prizes and no fee. Just music, fun, and good company...
Yes I like that idea, I always say food & fun for everyone, more like a social gathering and check out other cars

@ Allan and I also REALLY like the charity idea a few came to mind...gotto think hard on that one

Castillos is a big place it has a bar in the front as you drive to the back you have 3 softball fields plenty of parking and a huge pavilion...
the Pavillion also has a bar and a grill...bathrooms...

No fee - just a show and shine
and if anyone has any other ideas for a name that would be useful....show n shine is soooooo u know what I mean

Or if I do a small entry fee - free tshirt and hot dogs while they last like from 11-1 for the free stuff....looking and at other flyers to get ideas

ok good night

Just shooting around ideas, thinking out loud...
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:51 AM

I was a part of a group that founded the largest area car show that has lived on for +30 years. Ive done the start up thing and it was fun and exciting, i left the group after several years when the excitement wore off.

You called it a classic car show and i am not clear on what you mean by show.

If you are referring to a judged and formal gathering .......

You should look at all other shows in your area and when they occur. If you want the car show crowd you will need to look for an open weekend, you dont want to try and compete with existing/established shows. The show crowd will expect proper categories, qualified judges, display cards, dash plaques, trophies and etc. Parking lot layout is important it needs to be secluded from general public vehicle traffic. Ample parking, possibly trailer parking, sani cans, PA system for announcing, a cop is a good idea if there is alchohol. And most important is advertising and cross promoting at any car event and car related business in the area. The list goes on and on.

If this is more an informal gathering and its more about people getting together, i would switch it from a "car show" to a cars and coffee type event where there isnt pre arranged food, no registration, no trophies and etc. Those events usually grow out of a group of gals/guys who establish the attendance base and or a local business that wants to welcome people on a day of the week to draw a crowd or business. You wont have out of pocket costs and this type event will draw a larger demo than a car show (classic or otherwise). It also opens up the possibility of doing it on a weeknight. Here as well look at other events and dont compete with a know weekly event unless you have something distinct to offer to draw people away from established events.

Go to as many other events as possible and study everything around the cars, ie layout and what people who organize the show are doing.

Good luck.
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:14 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Best shows IMO are; anyone is welcome with what ever they have, free of charge. No classes just awards for the judges and peoples choices. Some live music a few food & beverage, trinket and parts vendors etc...Run whatcha brung.
We have one here that is a cruze in every Friday night. Its basically a giant weekly car show (4-500 cars average). But its just a cruse-in. Fish fry's, dogs n burges and $3 cans of frosty ones. About 3 times during the summer they have a sponsored "official" show. Yes there's an entry fee for those $15-20. Usually on a Sat or a Sunday. Fun... low key... none of that high flutin trailer queen with armor alled' tire treads stuff, but that's welcome too. Just havent seen any. They are all driven in. You never know whats gona show up from sleds, to rats, to early 20th century buggies, but mostly Muscle. That said, the tuners are there too but only a hand full at most, but welcome as well.

allyolds68 (aka Mike) I keep telling ya its worth the ride...just get there early or let me know your comin Ill TRY to save you a spot. If ya cant do Fridays look for the sponsored shows on line. My 68 is generally the lone stone representing 68s out of 500. Theres only one other who occasionally shows up. He has a Cutlass S red white gut which is beautiful.
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Damsel in Distress

Talking Rough Draft

Ok....this is going to be fun...

I have a meeting with owner on Thursday...hes game, he's been wanting to have a car show.. JUST MY LUCK we will discuss music when I see him

thanks for the advise and suggestions..my plan is to have a free event and see what the turn out will be. If it turns out great, we will hold another one with entry fees, admission, awards

more advise and suggestions are welcomed...

Eric#1 pack your bags...lol...me smiling I know I know ur a million miles away

and where the HECK is OCTANIA.....OCTANIA sounds like a commercial
Attached Images

Last edited by becerra66; May 5th, 2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Damsel in Distress

Great NEWS!!!!!shifter cable broke

That's freaking great..That crappy shifter cable BROKE....its frayed away from the rest of the part...

WTH....can I return that thing or what
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Damsel in Distress

What's a transmission code

Does anyone know the transmission code or a part number for the shifter cable...

Im so UPSET!!!!! wtheck man.....piece of crap.....sorry Ima have to blast that dude selling those crappy parts....

arrrrrrrggggggg
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:16 PM
morgan

Is the engine to firewall ground cable attached, if not your shifter cable can serve as the ground and get fried
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Damsel in Distress

Pogo Im not sure....I haven't taken anything off as far as a ground

and heres a questons where is the ground cable located so I can check that out...

The cable when I got it was very fragile and loose at the end where u attach the cable to the shifter lever....that's where it broke.
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Does anyone know the transmission code or a part number for the shifter cable...
The transmission code for TH350s is stamped into the accumulator cover on the passenger side of the transmission.

This one says 72 KE 15, so it is a "KE" transmission.

Your transmission will be either a "KA" or an "LA."

Sucks about the cable. You'll get this car to the point of being completely fine, though. It just takes time...

Originally Posted by pogo69
Is the engine to firewall ground cable attached, if not your shifter cable can serve as the ground and get fried
An excellent point, Pogo.

Terry, there should be a woven ground strap from the rear surface of one of the heads (usually the passenger side) to the firewall.
Alternately, there may be a second ground wire coming from the battery and going to the core support.

If you have neither one of these, that's a good explanation for your problem.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; May 5th, 2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Damsel in Distress

Thats it Pogo

Like everything else it's broken...its just hanging on the body....

I need some Tequila right away!!!!!

I need South Padre Island...

I need to go fishing!!!!!!!!

man oh man..this is when I feel Im in over my head....It will pass....
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Hey, your doing great. Things happen and that's how we all learn.
Old May 5th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If the ground strap is broken, just replace it with a stout length of wire - 10ga should be good - or run a 10ga wire from the (-) battery terminal to a screw on the core support.

Be sure to solder the terminal ends on the wire, for maximum current passage, and toe guard against corrosion.

No big deal.

Your car will probably run better after this, too.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Damsel in Distress

I can see clearly now the rain is gone, I can see all the obstacle in my way

Im sure u all have learned Im pretty hardcore, mean and just not very girly right!!!!
Well there's 2 things about me that make me very much a female, girl, chic or woman
1. my big *****
2. Im a cry baby

Thanks for the kind words Eric oldcutlass...hugs to u....me smiling, I know that's how we learn Eric, but Im tired of learning right now...lol...just want it to go smooth......just once....I said something about the car in the womens bathroom today, I tried to knock on wood but couldn't find any........

and Eric#1, ok I will do that, but I need to BUY another cable tomorrow and another tire for my van.....I
xoxoxoxo u all the best good night guys thanks
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:10 PM

Hang in there, Terry. (Note...Canadian but spelled it right)

As you fight through each of these trials, take some time to look at what you've taken on and beaten on DnD. You've brought that car a long way already and are well on your way to having a solid, well behaved classic to enjoy.

DnD is lucky to have someone so determined and enthusiastic.

Quick Reply: Damsel in Distress Carburetor Help