General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Restoration Performance for body panels?

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Restoration Performance for body panels?

Anyone use restorationperformance for body panels? How is there service. They have goodmark quarters for significant less than other places I have seen them.
Old November 25th, 2014, 08:52 PM

I think you'll find that most any body panel comes from the same manufacturer. Having said that, if you can get a Goodmark panel for an Oldsmobile go for it.
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

I was more wondering about the retailer. I have not seen anything on them on here, and the price difference is so significant, I was wondering if I was missing something.
Old January 28th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

I always get annoyed with threads that pose a question and you never know what the person did or the results. So, here is the summary of my experience. After no luck in finding someone that had dealings with this company, I decided to take a chance. The price difference was too significant not to. I ordered 2 quarters, 2 outer wheel wells, and 1/4 front passenger floor pan. As I mentioned, I basically paid for all of this shipped for less than I could get 2 quarters shipped from OPGI, or anywhere else I looked. Plus the quarter panel part numbers were close enough that I assumed they were the same parts. (Goodmark numbers)

I ordered on Dec 6 on line after hours on a Saturday. And in the process I messed up the shipping portion of the order, cancelled that order and re ordered. Now there were two orders showing up in my account, I called them on Monday morning, and they only had one order and it would take a couple of days to process. Their site says notes 6-10 days before shipping confirmation will be sent.

Seven days later, money out of account no confirmation. I better call. Well, since they would not leave the boxes if someone is not home, I opted to have it sent to an alternate residential address where someone is home during the day. When I called this is a no no, address cannot be different than billing address for residential drop. I do not know when I would have been told of this infraction, but a couple of days later, I gave them a carrier drop, I felt comfortable with to ship it to. OK, they would process and give me a call back. This began a pattern of I call, we will call you back, no call, I call

Left outer wheel well was on back order, and they were waiting to ship, the order until it came in. Any idea on when? We will need to call the supplier and call you back. I st of January, still don't know we'll check with supplier,and get back with you. Call back, still don't know timing on back order. Rest of the order is waiting to ship on that piece, we will have the supplier ship what they do have, and let you know when it is expected to ship.

About three business days later the terminal calls, hey, your parts are here. I go get those parts, check them out look ok to me. (Goodmark stickers with part numbers on CHL bags). Wait a few more days, call again, I think we found the back ordered part at another warehouse, and today I received the last piece of the order.

In fairness, they were moving to a new location in the middle of the Holidays, but they could do a better job of follow up with the customer.

Will I use them again? Probably, will give it another try if the price difference is there. If anyone uses them in the future you may need to plan on making a few calls.
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Glad that worked out okay. I am sure you had a few moments when your cheeks were a little puckered.
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Yes, a PITB, but it seems that there has been a lot of various vendor trouble s posted on this site over the past year. I guess I am the it has to happen twice to be systemic type guy
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Just a story I'll relate here because it's relevant.
Back in the 90's I was offered a job at Year One in GA. I was given a great tour of the place and I remember standing in the warehouse area that housed all the body panels. I commented on how nice the quality was and he told me that there was basically one manufacturer of all the pieces, for the most part, and that all their panels were one to two grades below factory NOS panels. He said if factory panels are a '5' then what they and most others sell is a '3-4'.
I've heard a lot of great things about Goodmark and if you were able to get those for that price you did well.
Old January 30th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Photoshop God

FYI, I was looking at their site to check prices for my 71 vert and quarters are $295. At rockauto they are only $255, similar shipping. It's interesting that five years ago restorationperformance was selling goodmarks at $506.

If only rockauto would let you pick them up at their location.
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by DewChugr
FYI, I was looking at their site to check prices for my 71 vert and quarters are $295. At rockauto they are only $255, similar shipping. It's interesting that five years ago restorationperformance was selling goodmarks at $506.

If only rockauto would let you pick them up at their location.
OPGI price $312 Restoration Performance $155 for each quarter that I bought.

I still don't understand the pricing either after 5 year, on all the panels whether full quarters or skins. With that much price change, something changed other than the thickness of metal.

I didn't even think about Rock auto. Out of curiosity I looked on the site, but I didn't find any quarters, what other panels do they have?
Old January 30th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Photoshop God

Quite a bit, fenders, floors, door skins, roof panel, etc. If you look under 442 there is not nearly as many items listed as under Cutlass. All categories here.
Old January 30th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by DewChugr
Quite a bit, fenders, floors, door skins, roof panel, etc. If you look under 442 there is not nearly as many items listed as under Cutlass. All categories here.
L I B, there them is. I was looking under 442. Well the deal was not as good as I thought, RA $20 cheaper on quarter. RPC has price match guarantee at the time of ordering.

Thanks for reminding me about RA.