General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Early Cutlass places

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2014, 07:56 PM
Registered car nut

Early Cutlass places

Looking at a 63 Cutlass tomorrow morning. No doubt I'll bring home another project. 2 on jack stands in the shop now.

I don't see much on the older models. I am familiar enough to know they share more with the Corvair than newer A-bodies.

Yet to see it so I don't know if its nice enough to fix or just part it.
I'll know soon enough.

Is there websites more geared more toward them? (Not that here isn't good)
I guessing parts are scarce.
The 215 could be coffee table material or maybe I will luck out?
Old November 1st, 2014, 09:08 AM

If you get it here's an extra 215 over in Lakeview.

http://klamath.craigslist.org/pts/4736228110.html

John
Old November 1st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nonhog
Looking at a 63 Cutlass tomorrow morning. No doubt I'll bring home another project. 2 on jack stands in the shop now.

I don't see much on the older models. I am familiar enough to know they share more with the Corvair than newer A-bodies.

Yet to see it so I don't know if its nice enough to fix or just part it.
I'll know soon enough.

Is there websites more geared more toward them? (Not that here isn't good)
I guessing parts are scarce.
The 215 could be coffee table material or maybe I will luck out?
I've had my 1962 F-85 wagon for nearly five years and surprisingly, there are more repro parts available now than there were then. The 1961-63 Cutlass and Skylark share a lot of parts. There are no repro body parts available, so get a rust-free car or plan on buying a rust-free parts car (which begs the question, why not just build that one?). Kanter sells suspension, steering, and brake parts. The 215 was sold to Rover and lived on in Land Rovers through the early 2000s, so engine parts are readily available (many Buick V6 parts are common, also). The Rotohydramatic 5 trans is unique to the Olds (Buicks used a Dynaflow) and is not one of GM's better automatics. Repro parts for a manual trans conversion are available. Fatman actually sells a complete bolt-in front suspension crossmember with modern suspension and brakes. The rear axle is unique to the 61-63 F-85/Skylark lines and parts are nearly unavailable. Trim is not being reproduced either. SMS sells upholstery material (flat, not sewn seat covers) and can make repro door panels. Amazingly, Steele Rubber sells ALL the weatherstrip for these cars. OPGI is starting to carry parts for them as well.

Be aware that while the 61-63 cars have a lot in common, the 63s use many one-year-only parts, including the steering linkage, brakes (63s use self adjusters), and obviously sheet metal.
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:59 PM
Registered car nut

Not home yet. So can't make a plan yet. But I did bring home extra fenders and a bumper and other stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
63cutlass 001.jpg (91.2 KB, 40 views)
63cutlass 002.jpg (95.7 KB, 41 views)
63cutlass 003.jpg (92.7 KB, 39 views)
63cutlass 005.jpg (107.0 KB, 37 views)
63cutlass 006.jpg (111.2 KB, 34 views)
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:19 AM

whered you find that? after having my 62's i wouldnt mind trying a 63, after having an auto as a daily idk if id buy another auto without plans to convert to a manual.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:27 AM

this site is for 61-63, very slow but i stop by most days. http://oldsjetfire.com/
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:39 AM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by young olds
this site is for 61-63, very slow but i stop by most days. http://oldsjetfire.com/

Awesome thanks!

Originally Posted by young olds
whered you find that? after having my 62's i wouldnt mind trying a 63, after having an auto as a daily idk if id buy another auto without plans to convert to a manual.

I was surprised to see the shifting pattern. If I run the 215 I will upgrade to a 4speed auto or a 5speed stick (we'll see)
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:43 AM

Ive considered doing a 200r4 in my wagon but idk if i want to cut up the tranny tunnel that much plus manuals are more fun.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

I was surprised to see the shifting pattern.
Don't be. That was normal before the 1964 model year.

If I run the 215 I will upgrade to a 4speed auto or a 5speed stick (we'll see)
The modern GM automatics require an adapter plate (sold by D&D) and trans tunnel mods to clear. The stock RH5 automatic is MUCH smaller than anything else out there.

The T5 is a nice swap.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
........ The 215 was sold to Rover and lived on in Land Rovers through the early 2000s, so engine parts are readily available (many Buick V6 parts are common, also)......
AS I recall, Triumph was also suppose to have used the 215 in the TR-8.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 67442nut
AS I recall, Triumph was also suppose to have used the 215 in the TR-8.
It was used in many British vehicles. The TR8, Rover 3500, TVR, Morgan Plus8, MGB V8, and even the Land Rover 101 forward control all-terrain military vehicle. There was also the Leyland P76 version, with a taller deck. The latest Rover motors were built in displacements up to 4.6 liters (actually 5.0 for some TVR applications) and used cross-bolted mains. I've got one of these short blocks for my 62, as they are externally identical to the original 215. The British V8 website has much information on interchangeable parts. These are referred to as BOPR motors (Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Rover).
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The Rotohydramatic 5 trans is unique to the Olds (Buicks used a Dynaflow) and is not one of GM's better automatics.

Buick did not use a Dynaflow in the Special. They used a transmission called a Dual Path. Mechanics at the dealership I worked at back in the day did not even attempt to work on them. The just replaced them with a factory rebuilt unit.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
The Rotohydramatic 5 trans is unique to the Olds (Buicks used a Dynaflow) and is not one of GM's better automatics.

Buick did not use a Dynaflow in the Special. They used a transmission called a Dual Path. Mechanics at the dealership I worked at back in the day did not even attempt to work on them. The just replaced them with a factory rebuilt unit.
You are correct, thanks. Sorry for the mis-information. The Buford trans used a conventional torque converter. The RH5 used an internal fluid coupling. The trans has an input shaft that looks like the one on a manual trans. There is a spring-loaded plate (like the center of a manual trans clutch disk) that bolts to the flywheel to accept this input shaft.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:07 PM
Registered car nut

Could care less about the trans. My guess is its a core and probably hard to get rid of?

More important is who's building a 215? D&D has a cool website but lacks build info and results. Can one get a civilized 250HP?

I'm no numbers matching purist. Love to see a current EFI turbo ed version.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Could care less about the trans. My guess is its a core and probably hard to get rid of?

More important is who's building a 215? D&D has a cool website but lacks build info and results. Can one get a civilized 250HP?

I'm no numbers matching purist. Love to see a current EFI turbo ed version.
I'm guessing you COULDN'T care less about the trans. In any case, as I posted above, go to the British V8 website for many, many builds of this motor. I've got the EFI intake from a Rover motor, plan to use a Megasquirt to drive it.
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm guessing you COULDN'T care less about the trans. In any case, as I posted above, go to the British V8 website for many, many builds of this motor. I've got the EFI intake from a Rover motor, plan to use a Megasquirt to drive it.
Member over at British V8. Find it hard to navigate, yet entertaining.
Megasquirt huh? Turbo ever cross your mind? As in modern turbo set up.
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Member over at British V8. Find it hard to navigate, yet entertaining.
Megasquirt huh? Turbo ever cross your mind? As in modern turbo set up.
Actually, yes. The Rover EFI manifold has a plenum with the throttle body on the driver's side. You could mount the turbo above the passenger side exhaust manifold, run the compressor output through an intercooler in front of the radiator, and then plumb it to the throttle body.
Old November 17th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Registered car nut

Turns out I was right re: my grammer issue earlier in this thread.
Just pulled engine and trans and I am very curious about that weird little tranny.
Old November 17th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Turns out I was right re: my grammer issue earlier in this thread.
Just pulled engine and trans and I am very curious about that weird little tranny.
If you are referring to the RotoHydramatic 5, it is unique to the 1961-63 F-85/Cutlass cars. Olds alternately called it a three speed and four speed AT, but the reality is that it only has three hard gear ratios. The alleged "fourth" speed is obtained through the fluid coupling internal to the trans, similar to the principle of the switch-pitch torque converter used on the 1964-67 automatics.
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Registered car nut

Had I read up before seperating the engine/trans I would have known there was no conventional torque converter. Was a very interesting site to see. I suspect it will end up in the recycle pile. I imagine demand for used RH5 is pretty low.
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:59 AM

Reminds me of the DeSoto and others Fluid Drive semi-automatic PrestoMatic systems. It had 2 mechanical gears, a clutch, and an overdrive unit. Use the clutch to select low range or high range forward or reverse, take off, then let off the gas to get into overdrive in either low or high. You theoretically had 4 ratios, but only got to use either 1-2-4, or 1-3-4, depending on if you shifted, or the car shifted first. Use the clutch or not when you came to a stop. No parking pawl, parking brake on the drive shaft, so if engaged at speed the gear reduction could and would flip the car, and, when it went out, the standard wooden wedge was used to keep your car from rolling off when parked.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:03 AM

Correction, that was an underdrive unit that would kick out to be in high. Final range was 1 to 1, in high, with the underdrive not in.