General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

51 Olds 88A - Rest in Peace

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM

51 Olds 88A - Rest in Peace

Just got back from my trip to Washington & Montana, i picked up a pair of 50 Olds coupe door window frames i bought on ebay, did a local pick up in Seatac, Wa saved $70 s/h that a good thing

Went to Montana to look at a 51 Olds 88A i found a year or two ago it had a lot of Great universal parts for my 50 Olds coupe, i was going to sell the 4 dr body to someone that could use it

The word was the 60 or so cars were all gone they were CRUSHED, that was the BAD part of the trip. I was told the crusher cleaned out many small yards with the steel prices being up

Just a heads up - If you have some cars or parts spotted this might be the time to get them, it kind of makes you sick when you hear about this

I did see two 59 Olds 88's, a 2 door Hardtop & a Convertible they were solid & ran the man was 88 and was going to part with them because he couldn't work on them any more, seeing the 88's brightened up the day a bit
Old October 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Nailhead 88
Just got back from my trip to Washington & Montana, i picked up a pair of 50 Olds coupe door window frames i bought on ebay, did a local pick up in Seatac, Wa saved $70 s/h that a good thing

Went to Montana to look at a 51 Olds 88A i found a year or two ago it had a lot of Great universal parts for my 50 Olds coupe, i was going to sell the 4 dr body to someone that could use it

The word was the 60 or so cars were all gone they were CRUSHED, that was the BAD part of the trip. I was told the crusher cleaned out many small yards with the steel prices being up

Just a heads up - If you have some cars or parts spotted this might be the time to get them, it kind of makes you sick when you hear about this

I did see two 59 Olds 88's, a 2 door Hardtop & a Convertible they were solid & ran the man was 88 and was going to part with them because he couldn't work on them any more, seeing the 88's brightened up the day a bit
Seems nobody cares anymore. I have to run by the local yard at least every other day and take my tools along all of the time. You see it then you don't. Before long we are all going to have to save parts even if we don't need them, in order to barter for parts. Might even start another thread posting the spares you are willing to part with as batter for parts you need. What does everyone think of this idea

Pat
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

Pat, the problem with that is the extra cash needed to get that stuff and the room to store it. I have trouble finding enough to get my project done. It is really sad. You do have a good idea though, just hard for me to help out, sadly.
Nailhead 88, your experience sounds very similar to my post of a few months ago "A Sad Story". You are right, with the price of scrap metal up and the municipalities and local governments feeling all frisky to get "Green" it is terrible.