General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

dual exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2014, 07:20 PM

dual exhaust drone

Just had dual exhaust flowmaster hushpower 2 installed... Thought it was going to be hush... You know.... kind of quiet..... Forget it! Hush?? I bought these because I watched the Flowmaster you tube video muffler comparison with the Latest Dodge Challenger. This hush power had a deep tone worthy of attention. So I bought it. The sound is ....How can I say...... Wow... Powerful...Deep bass..... Awesome.... Problem though... Great sound but Loud! Resonance......Droning... " Big time " at 40-45 mph.... So loud that I have to wear ear plugs.It sounds like I'm driving a battleship,Tank,The noise is Tremendous in the cabin... The video says it's low cabin noise by decimals..No!... At least in this Car ( 1967 Cutlass Supreme ) All pipes are sealed and secured. I understand it must be a body vibration issue.... These Hush flowmasters give a lower tone... More vibration... Suggestions? I have heard the " J " pipes " work but do they cancel performance?? Thanks ... I was told that going with the Flowmaster 50 delta flow may help. This is a 330 engine. But it sounds like a freakin Tank right now... Thanks
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would try putting an H pipe in. It fixed my Cutlass years ago.
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Exhaust is like music, everyone has their own tastes. Also the exhaust pulse from one make of car to another is totally different and unique. Pipe size, headers, type of crossover or no crossover will also make a difference. I always go to car shows and listen to the different tunes and go with similar setups. I have run into the same issue as you with drone through a Flowmaster type muffler and it's usually the muffler.

Since my hearing has declined over the years, I'm not into the super loud rumbling exhaust anymore. I use Walker Turbos. They are nice and quiet and I can hear my stereo, unless you open it up.
Old September 27th, 2014, 08:25 PM

I've tried Flowmasters on one Cutlass and Magnaflows on another. I still have both cars. I get compliments on how both sound, but I have serious issues with the cabin noise in both as well. I thought it was just me.
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:07 PM

Dynamat. Did wonders for my car...
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MudEye
Just had dual exhaust flowmaster hushpower 2 installed...

Resonance......Droning... " Big time " at 40-45 mph....
Yeah, it's not like Flowmaster droning has ever been discussed on the Interweb or anything...
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:06 AM

I still say Smithy steel pak mufflers (28") sound best on any car. They are on all of ours, and all sound great............no drone to these deaf ears!!!!
Old September 29th, 2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, it's not like Flowmaster droning has ever been discussed on the Interweb or anything...
So do the dynomax have the drone? Or the Walker? What Model no. Do You have... Thanx...
Old September 29th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

So do the dynomax have the drone? Or the Walker? What Model no. Do You have... Thanx...
Walker makes Dynomax. I'm a big fan of the 14" Dynomax Turbo mufflers, 2.5" inlet/outlet.
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Walker makes Dynomax. I'm a big fan of the 14" Dynomax Turbo mufflers, 2.5" inlet/outlet.
Hey Joe Have spent days on the internet reviewing. The Ultra flo ( Dynomax) may be the one I settle on( I should say. change out ) But worried about the dreaded drone again. I figure the longer muffler less drone? You have 14 inch? What is the sound like ( and the drone if any ) They have longer mufflers avail.
Like You... My ears have grown softer,mellowed. I believe it was Theodore Roosevelt " Speak softly and carry a big stick! " Soft idle..... Roar....

Thanx....

Last edited by MudEye; October 1st, 2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:35 PM

I am now running pypes race pros 18" case on mine and there is no drone. These are a packed muffler and it is great inside unless you let her go. These also are straight through like glass packs but way quieter when cruising. Full case. These are available but may have to be ordered depending on where you get them through. I also am running an H pipe. That also makes a difference. Street pros are a lot louder like the blowmasters. JMO
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Hey Joe Have spent days on the internet reviewing. The Ultra flo ( Dynomax) may be the one I settle on( I should say. change out ) But worried about the dreaded drone again. I figure the longer muffler less drone? You have 14 inch? What is the sound like ( and the drone if any ) They have longer mufflers avail.
Like You... My ears have grown softer,mellowed. I believe it was Theodore Roosevelt " Speak softly and carry a big stick! " Soft idle..... Roar....

Thanx.... Joe Man.........
I have the 18.5" Dynomax Super Turbos with 2 1/4" in and out and it sounds great when you floor it down the highway. No drones here.
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:25 PM

What hangers are between the pipes and body on your new exhaust, (just to exclude them from the cause of transmitting the vibration/drone.) Only ask because "the video " you mentioned may reference a system with a different hanger. Just a thought.
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:47 PM

I run 50 series Flowmasters, I like the sound and no drone but my car isn't a muscle car and my pipes are not joined or H'ed anywhere plus they exit at the rear like they are supposed to. Seems the faster I go the quieter they get.

Like Eric said sound is a very subjective thing much like the difference between redheads and blonds. I vote for the redheads...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; September 30th, 2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
What hangers are between the pipes and body on your new exhaust, (just to exclude them from the cause of transmitting the vibration/drone.) Only ask because "the video " you mentioned may reference a system with a different hanger. Just a thought.
Yes.... I looked under the car and their are 2 welds holding the muffler. One between engine and muffler... And one right up before the bumper. These are solid welds to the body. In fact I saw the guy who installed doing pull ups on them. Solid. Also their are no tips... as the pipes slope down before the bumper and do not exit passed it. I have noticed comments from others that a tip beyond the bumper will assure less or no drone. Thanx.
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:50 PM

What type hangers

Are the pipes hanging from rubber insulators or direct metal to metal to the body? If metal and no insulators, the vibration may be transmitting the sound.
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ELY442
I have the 18.5" Dynomax Super Turbos with 2 1/4" in and out and it sounds great when you floor it down the highway. No drones here.
Are these 14 inch and then 18.5 overall? Thanx Man...
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Are the pipes hanging from rubber insulators or direct metal to metal to the body? If metal and no insulators, the vibration may be transmitting the sound.
Yes ... good point.... I see no insulators under the car.... interesting.... 2 solid welds.... That vibrate the He double toothpick .... out of something and the drone is very serious... On take off.... And at about 1500. rpm.. Loud drone...

What kind kind of insulators are You talking about?.....
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:03 PM

I have the same mufflers on a 67 442 running stock pipes that exit past the bumper no drone. In fact I sometimes wish they made a little more noise. I have the others on a 67 cutlass with a 350 and 2 1/2 inch pipes with turn downs at the rearend and a cross over and you would swear there is no way they are the same muffler. the 350 is very loud and has lots of drone.
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I have the same mufflers on a 67 442 running stock pipes that exit past the bumper no drone. In fact I sometimes wish they made a little more noise. I have the others on a 67 cutlass with a 350 and 2 1/2 inch pipes with turn downs at the rearend and a cross over and you would swear there is no way they are the same muffler. the 350 is very loud and has lots of drone.
Very interesting... Have the 2 1/4 loud as HE double toothpick.... I'll add some tips to the end pass the bumper. Problem is.... My pipes go down... Yours Go up...? Thanks...
Old October 1st, 2014, 08:37 PM

On my 442 they are just as stock with the angle cut and just past the rearend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Flashback Saturday 2014.jpg (119.1 KB, 42 views)
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:04 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Yes ... good point.... I see no insulators under the car.... interesting.... 2 solid welds.... That vibrate the He double toothpick .... out of something and the drone is very serious... On take off.... And at about 1500. rpm.. Loud drone...

Rubber mounts for the exhaust system. The exhaust needs to able to move with the engine as it moves on it mounts. It needs to have some movement btw, but not much!.
Without them you will have a horrible driving experience.

If you have a resonant period (bad noise/vibration at certain engine speeds), try moving the mufflers to a different location, it could be they are at just the right place to amplify noise rather then reduce it.

Roger.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:32 AM

.... So loud that I have to wear ear plugs.It sounds like I'm driving a battleship Tank,
I'd kind of like to go for a ride in a battleship or a tank. Both at the same time would be really interesting.

I do not like the Dynomax: they are too quiet. I like the Flowmasters and mine do not drone.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM

Are these 14 inch and then 18.5 overall? Thanx Man...
Yes it is. It is the Dynomax 17732.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
morgan

i have also had the walker turbo's on my car for the last 20 years , no drone and they are not that loud
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:31 PM

The stock hangers that came on my year (72) car are shown on Gardner exhaust.com. There is a rubber strip that the pipes hang from to stop vibration. Your year may be different but the website shows pictures of the original factory type of hangers I mentioned. I am planning on having my present "rigged" hangers removed and rubber insulated hangers installed by a local shop even though I plan on replacing my exhaust with the Gardner Exhaust system, just to see if my suspicion of vibration transfer is correct. Might take a week to get in but I will post my findings.
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:16 PM

Ok.... Thanks everyone for the input... Replaced with Magnaflow 11246. 18 inch , 24 inch overall. Sounds 80 % better. Has the muscle sound. Still some drone at same rpm , but 80 % quieter in cabin. Could not be happier.
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:54 PM

Even with the Gardner Exhaust I get some drone but it sounds so much better.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:08 AM

Yep, without rubber hangers, you will also eventually get cracked pipes somewhere. There has to be some flex. It's not just for vibration felt in the floor.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:21 AM

Ok.... Thanks everyone for the input... Replaced with Magnaflow 11246. 18 inch , 24 inch overall. Sounds 80 % better. Has the muscle sound. Still some drone at same rpm , but 80 % quieter in cabin. Could not be happier.
. Post a video if you can. Would like to hear it.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I would try putting an H pipe in. It fixed my Cutlass years ago.
Already got that!
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:05 AM

I suspect your SuperTurbos are mated to a big block?
I have a Supreme with a 350 and Dynomax VT and they sound good on idle, not so much on throttle...
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mohamed Ali Humaid
I have a Supreme with a 350 and Dynomax VT and they sound good on idle, not so much on throttle...
The VT mufflers are not Super Turbos. Different internal configuration, different sound.
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:23 AM

The VT mufflers are not Super Turbos. Different internal configuration, different sound.
Sure. I was just trying to see if the super turbos sound any better than my VTs. They're way cheaper too!
Old March 14th, 2017, 12:03 PM

No, my Super Turbos are on my stock 350 and my 455 (461) has the VT.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:11 AM

No, my Super Turbos are on my stock 350 and my 455 (461) has the VT.
Great! May I know the part number for your Super Turbos? Or the muffler length please? Thanks!
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Great! May I know the part number for your Super Turbos? Or the muffler length please? Thanks!
17732, overall length is 18 1/2", 2 1/4" pipes in and out.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Walker makes a bunch of different Super Turbo mufflers with various pipe sizes and port locations. Get the ones you need for your application. The 17732s are the smaller 14" body style. Walker also makes a 20" body style.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Walker makes a bunch of different Super Turbo mufflers with various pipe sizes and port locations. Get the ones you need for your application. The 17732s are the smaller 14" body style. Walker also makes a 20" body style.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers
So question now is which length is a better suit (good sound and no drone) for a 350 with 2.5" duals and an H pipe?
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

So question now is which length is a better suit (good sound and no drone) for a 350 with 2.5" duals and an H pipe?
As a general rule, longer case length will be quieter.

Quick Reply: dual exhaust drone