General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2014, 08:30 PM

Exhaust

Just saw a video of my car at Kinney's exhaust in Texas. Its cool to see my car in videos before I owned it. I now know I have an X pipe with Magnaflow mufflers. I hate the drone I get with them and thought they were stock mufflers. Allen has provided a source for stock replacements and I intend on checking with that source. I have also done some research on magnaflow vs. walker though and would like some opinions on those. Any opinions would be great.
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:07 PM

Bad hangers?

Wonder if these hangers are causing the drone?

Last edited by Gary M; February 7th, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old September 17th, 2014, 05:03 PM

Contacted Gardener Exhaust

He thinks its the mufflers but the hangers are not correct. Getting a quote on a new exhaust from him. Thanks Allen, for the lead.
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Administrator

The hangers are not causing your drone, it's the mufflers.
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You might have better luck with an H pipe rather than the X pipe. The H pipe took the drone out of my 72 Cutlass when I put the turbos (generic) years ago.
Old September 18th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Ordered new system from Gardener Exhaust

From manifolds back including tips and all hangers and bolts. Aluminized with their Turbo mufflers. Thanks Allen for the number. They sound good on their website audio. It will be a while for them to make and ship but I will try to take pics of them when they arrive and post them as well as comment on the ease of install. The X pipe and mufflers I am taking off are still very good (except the drone). May sell them on the cheap instead of trashing. Someone may want the X pipe. Who knows.
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by Gary M
From manifolds back including tips and all hangers and bolts. Aluminized with their Turbo mufflers. Thanks Allen for the number. They sound good on their website audio. It will be a while for them to make and ship but I will try to take pics of them when they arrive and post them as well as comment on the ease of install. The X pipe and mufflers I am taking off are still very good (except the drone). May sell them on the cheap instead of trashing. Someone may want the X pipe. Who knows.
Looking forward to hearing what the outcome is on this. Do you mind sharing what the cost was?
Old September 19th, 2014, 04:27 PM

Not cheap

Under 1100.00 delivered. I got the concours system with aluminized and if I remember correctly, a ceramic coating where the manifold bolts to the exhaust. The bolts and hangers are reproduction of originals with coating and rubber insulators. The pipes have all the indents and bends the originals came with. The mufflers have the square rolled seams. The tips are welded and the correct length. Check out the website. They make their own mufflers. Audio of the system can be heard there.
Old September 19th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gary, I'm glad you are happy with Gardner. Eric will deliver you a fantastic product and I'm sure you'll have no problems installing it.

For anyone else who's looking for an authentic exhaust system (same look and sound) as OEM? Gardner Exhaust. Here's Eric Gardner's contact information:
(845) 758-8003
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Garner Exhust Pics

Decided not to waste the bucks on rubber hangers. The members on here that say its the mufflers causing the drone was good enough for me. I got the Gardner Exhaust with the proper hangers and have pics of how its packaged. Very Well! As you can see in the pics a glass is included that I thought would look great filled with beer! I was going to have someone install this exhaust but saw some spots under there that could use some touch up so ,looks like I'll be under there myself. Easier to do before the exhaust is in. The gas tank straps are black (not sure if that is correct) and I may change them as well as convert some surface rust behind the rear bumper. The gas tank looks aluminized and I have to decide if I should change it too. Is there any one else out there that starts out with a small project that blossoms into a large project?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
101514 069.jpg (21.2 KB, 71 views)
101514 070.jpg (32.3 KB, 66 views)
101514 071.jpg (34.5 KB, 60 views)
101514 072.jpg (57.1 KB, 62 views)
101514 074.jpg (27.3 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Gary M; October 15th, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old October 15th, 2014, 05:07 PM

More info

Should also mention that the tips were wrapped and the pipes were in plastic sleeves to protect the finish. There is an installation instruction sheet as well as drawings from the original assembly manual. A questionnaire with self addressed envelope to voice your opinion. May take a couple weeks to get time to install but I will post a video of the sound (if I can upload it).
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:41 AM

Is there any one else out there that starts out with a small project that blossoms into a large project?

Only just about every time.

I've been recommisioning a '55 Olds 98 4-door Holiday hardtop that has been sitting for about 12 years.
Changing the dash pad became fixing everything under the dash that did not work. It's a New Mexico car so the dash pad was baked to a crisp, along with all of the vacuum lines. I had the heater core rebuilt to fix a leak as well. Took a huge rat or mouse nest out of the heater box.
So, now it has working wipers, w/s washers, Wonderbar radio, heater, defrosters, and even the clock now works.
Had a boat trimmer make me a replacement dash pad with the correct vinyl sourced from SMS Auto Fabrics.
Now onto the dried out front suspension..
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:10 AM

Gardner is by far the way to go if you want OEM look and sound. The guys are really easy to deal with as well.

Sean
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Is there any one else out there that starts out with a small project that blossoms into a large project?
Yer kidding, right? Gassed - another MAW disaster?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM

Just kidding. We've all been there. I was just so anxious to hear the new exhaust but will have to be patient. I may clean up the area near the pipes, install the pipes and save the tank for winter. I could wrap them with the original plastic wrapping to protect from overspray when I remove the tank and freshen up that area. The tank area only has a little surface rust. Converter and encapsulate paint from Eastwood should do it.
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:06 AM

Progress

Getting Gardner Exhaust installed Thursday. Eric at Gardner recommended a guy in St. Louis who turns out has a shop that does restoration work ( very meticulous work, as I remember him from my parts delivery days). I'll post pics and hopefully video of completed job.
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:44 PM

Installed

Pics of Gardner Exhaust. Tips look uneven in pic but they are both same distance from bumper. Had to do alot of adjusting to get that way because who ever put the gas tank in rearranged the vent hoses/tubes.
Attached Images
work phone 256.jpg (34.1 KB, 43 views)
work phone 258.jpg (53.2 KB, 42 views)
olds show exhaust 148.jpg (87.2 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Gary M; October 30th, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Administrator

looks good, hows it sound?
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:51 PM

Sounds Good. Less drone and more crackle out the back. Cant upload video because of the security token problem
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just curious about pic 2. Why are the clamps sideways instead of vertical? The exhaust system looks awesome. Can't wait till your audio file uploads.
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:13 PM

The assembly manual calls for that, probably to prevent dragging over speed bumps?
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:17 PM

Audio was taken on my sony camera and cell phone. Won't upload. Damn security token.
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:32 PM

Tip

Eric Gardner said GM extended them out some to prevent gasses from getting behind the bumper but I could adjust it if I want. I think I will try because I like them in tighter and Dr Oldsmobile most likely is not coming to my house. > Great exhaust system!
Attached Images
image.jpg (53.2 KB, 28 views)
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The assembly manual calls for that, probably to prevent dragging over speed bumps?
Got my doubts about that one. You'd hit your drive shaft before you hit the clamps. Never really looked at the AM for that detail. Good eye.

I'll suggest my own theory. We already know these chassis were assembled upside down on the assembly line and then flipped prior to marriage of body and installation of engine/trans/driveshaft. So I'm going to say it was easier for one guy on each side of the car to reach over and zip those clamps on with the hangers facing sideways. Whattaya think of that?
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Makes more sense than speed bumps. The muffler body or drive shaft would hit first. Gardner supplies the page from the assembly manual that shows assembly. They even label the parts for proper alignment during assembly. Great service.
Old October 30th, 2014, 08:05 PM

Was very happy with Pete Rizo's shop. Father and daughter shop. He lived up to his reputation and she had me at hello. Everyone treated me like family. Highly recommend his shop.