General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
try and find a mid 60s Olds 88 or 98 wagon today! And if you are lucky enough to have one good luck finding parts for it.
As Oldsmaniac points out, there were no full-size Olds wagons between 1965 and 1970 as the Vista Cruiser, which was based on the Cutlass, was the largest wagon Olds offered.

With regard to finding parts for station wagons, as the owner of a somewhat later full-size wagon, a '73 Custom Cruiser, let me say that it depends. Mechanical parts are findable all day long, for the most part. Engine, brakes, suspension, drivetrain, no problem. Body and trim parts, except for the rear parts of the car, are no more difficult or easy to find than they would be for someone looking for parts for a '73 Delta 88 or 98. From the firewall forward, a '73 Custom Cruiser is identical to a '73 Delta 88 or 98.

As a couple of examples, if I need weatherstripping for the doors, I can buy what is made for a 4-door sedan of the comparable non-wagon, and weatherstripping for the four-door Delta 88's and 98's is available. I needed carpeting as well for my car, and it was no problem to get.

If I need a roof rack, though, that's a different story. Ditto for the weatherstripping on either side of the rear window, which is the holy grail of missing parts. No one reproduces it, everyone needs it, anything you might find NOS still in the box is likely to be as dried out as what's on your car, and clamshell wagon owners around the world would give their left hand if someone would come along and start making it. But the demand just isn't there.
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:50 AM

Unfortunately Jaunty75 is probably right.
First, there's no "probably about it. I am right!

The cars that sold the most back in the day - 4-doors and station wagons - were also the least wanted when they got older.
Here's a perfect example of this right now.

This guy has been trying to sell this car for a while now, and I think this is about the umpteenth time he's had it listed for sale. Aside from the fact that his photos are poorly composed and the size of postage stamps, which isn't helping his cause, his biggest problem is that he's asking a convertible-level price for a four-door.

Yes, the car is nice. It's beautiful, in fact. But it's a full-size four-door. It may be rare. It may be in great shape. It may be a family heirloom. But if no one wants it, it will sit on the lot all day long if the owner thinks its rarity and condition alone are enough to justify a high price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-N...US_Cars_Trucks

This photo is about as good as it gets.

Old September 9th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Jetstarjim
Hmmnn....Don't give me any idea's! How cool would a 65' Jetstar1 4-speed station wagon be? I think I'm going to go out and mock it up in cardboard, lol!
It might be possible. One would need a 65 Jetstar, a 65-67 Pontiac Catalina station wagon , and MAD fabrication and bodyworking skills.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; September 10th, 2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old September 9th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Oldsmaniac your car is awesome, I love the big 4spd cars, almost any make.
Old September 9th, 2014, 07:38 PM

Well count me in then as a "darksider"
Sheesh... try to find parts for a 1967 Olds 98 LS 4-door with posts... uggh
Beautiful classy incredibly well designed and luxurious... its a "one-off" year where many of the other year parts seem to be different.

Check out my gallery with a note that the big-*** wheels are soon to be history when Cragar sends the replacements...
Old September 10th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

Smile

Originally Posted by dprestia
Beautiful classy incredibly well designed and luxurious... its a "one-off" year where many of the other year parts seem to be different.

Check out my gallery with a note that the big-*** wheels are soon to be history when Cragar sends the replacements...
It's almost certain that they will never produce such large , powerful , comfortable , and opulent automobiles like this again.
These cars were designed to cruise the interstates at 90 MPH or more . And cross deserts in complete air conditioned comfort .

I like your idea of ditching the big wheels for Cragars. I'm sure a set of 235/70 R 15's will give you a much better ride. They will make it ride like a 98 should.
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:14 AM

its a "one-off" year where many of the other year parts seem to be different
It's no more a one-off year than any other model year for Oldsmobile all through the '60s and '70s. The whole idea on the part of the designers was to come up with something new every year as a way attract interest and sell cars, even if the changes from year to year were not large. But every year saw changes in front and rear-end treatments, hood shape, placement of taillights, headlights, parking lights, and turn signals, changes to the dashboard, etc. The problems you face in finding parts for restoration are the problems anyone trying to restore a full-size Oldsmobile faces.

I can assure you that one thing the designers of these cars were not concerned with is the ease or difficulty with which restorers would be able to find parts 40 or 50 years later!
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
It's almost certain that they will never produce such large , powerful , comfortable , and opulent automobiles like this again.
Sure they do. They just look different.

I'm sure all the words you used above...large, powerful, comfortable, and opulent...would be applicable to this vehicle:

Old September 11th, 2014, 09:46 AM

X2 on this for the parts. My PO also had put some big-*** 24" rims on the car that were thankfully removed right before I purchased it. I'm looking forward to seeing what your car looks like with the Cragar's on!
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by jaunty75

I'm sure all the words you used above...large, powerful, comfortable, and opulent...would be applicable to this vehicle:

Sure, but that's not a car . It's an SUV built on a truck chassis.
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:42 AM

i think that "modern suv " has a lot common with my 64 olds 98 .... its handlin around corners...like a boat! ha has ha !!!!!!!!!!
Old September 12th, 2014, 04:23 AM

Sold my big beauty last year 69 delta MYCAR_zps011af8d3.jpg
Should be buying another in November from a member on here slightly more work will be going into this next one!
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff K.
X2 on this for the parts. My PO also had put some big-*** 24" rims on the car that were thankfully removed right before I purchased it. I'm looking forward to seeing what your car looks like with the Cragar's on!

The Coker Wheels i bought with the Olds centercaps were amazing in all respect except they didn't fit... Not 5 on 5 and they don't make them that way.... (only 5 on 4.75) I was so pissed. The Cragar wheels are backordered of course so my big beautiful car is sitting on 21 yr old takoffs from my 1993 Silverado truck - looks like a rat-rod of sorts and not really driveable like that but suprisingly rides waaaay better than the 22"s when i test drove it on the 21 yr old tires.

I will update my gallery when the transformation takes place - those 22" rode like **** and rubbed - good riddance, previous owner decision - not mine
Old September 15th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Phantom Phixer

The Coker Wheels i bought with the Olds centercaps were amazing in all respect except they didn't fit... Not 5 on 5 and they don't make them that way.... (only 5 on 4.75) I was so pissed. The Cragar wheels are backordered of course so my big beautiful car is sitting on 21 yr old takoffs from my 1993 Silverado truck - looks like a rat-rod of sorts and not really driveable like that but suprisingly rides waaaay better than the 22"s when i test drove it on the 21 yr old tires.

I will update my gallery when the transformation takes place - those 22" rode like **** and rubbed - good riddance, previous owner decision - not mine
Here's another idea, If you haven't purchased the Cragars yet.
A "how to" on putting Olds caps on Buick Riviera wheels (5X5).

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...size-cars.html
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
Well I guess I fit in here as I'm rebuilding a 62 super 88 wagon and using my 62 starfire as a parts car (frame and floors gone). I'm also rebuilding a 63 98 convertible (frame off ) and have a 63 98 custom sports coupe in antique rose that is finished and a 63 98 midnight mist convertible that we restored 24 years ago.
When I get the photos I'll post them up.
Steve
I'd love to see those photos , Steve . '63's are my favorite.
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff K.

The new Cragars came in ahead of the backorder date.. Thank God!
Here they are wrapped in Hankook tires. The ride is so mucher better on the 15" Wheels (vs 22" crap)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3989 (2).jpg (63.1 KB, 80 views)
IMG_3985 (2).jpg (76.6 KB, 89 views)
IMG_3984 (2).jpg (79.4 KB, 87 views)
IMG_3986.jpg (66.9 KB, 85 views)
Old September 27th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Phantom Phixer

The new Cragars came in ahead of the backorder date.. Thank God!
Here they are wrapped in Hankook tires. The ride is so mucher better on the 15" Wheels (vs 22" crap)...
It looks a helluva lot better too!
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:49 PM

What is a "uk" mile per gallon? I thought miles were the same length everywhere. Except for nautical miles, but that's for travel on the seas.

According to Wikipedia, the "international mile," which is used in the U.S. and the U.K. among many other countries, is 1,609.344 meters. This comes out to be exactly 5280 feet, or 1 mile.

The miles are the same but the gallon is different. The UK gallon is 4.54 litres as opposed to the US gallon at 3.79 litres.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by andyolds88
The miles are the same but the gallon is different. The UK gallon is 4.54 litres as opposed to the US gallon at 3.79 litres.
Ah, I get it.

It's

"UK mile per gallon"

not

"UK mile" per gallon

Thanks.
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:55 AM

thought maybe one of yall could help me....

i got a 64 olds dynamic 88 i am trying to restore. im looking for the upper control arm bushing retainer bolt and washer
bolt is 1'' x 3/8''/ 24 (threading)

any suggestions? any known part numbers? any help is appreciated.

also if anyone knows what other models besides 64 88's (starfire jetstar super etc.) that share front end suspension with my 88 it would help alot in the search for parts online.

thank you.
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:56 PM

I am one with the darkside, 63 88. since I was little always wanted 64 impala ss 4spd 409. now I have a 63 olds celebrity sedan and like it so much more. just wish I could find the parts. body mount left rear under seat toast. got one from a kid but he sent me the wrong side and scrapped the car. a little rocker work and fiz the rear quarter doglegs and ready for paint. motor tranny are ready. do need a gas tank too. ha the search continues.
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by ghsot
i got a 64 olds dynamic 88 i am trying to restore. im looking for the upper control arm bushing retainer bolt and washer
bolt is 1'' x 3/8''/ 24 (threading)

any suggestions? any known part numbers? any help is appreciated.

also if anyone knows what other models besides 64 88's (starfire jetstar super etc.) that share front end suspension with my 88 it would help alot in the search for parts online.

thank you.
Every new bushing should come with the bolt and washer.
If your bushings are original and 50 years old they should be replaced.
It will make your car ride and handle SO much better!
According to my Olds parts book 64 was by itself as far as bushings go.
All models except f-85 however, use the same bushings.

The factory part numbers for these bushings are 388213 for uppers and 388214 for lowers.

Kanter Auto and Fusick Automotive are two sources. You may also find them on E-Bay but be careful, because some E- bay vendors assume that Chevy bushings are the same. They're not.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; October 4th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Phantom Phixer

63 and 64 fullsize parts

I just posted up a few 63 & 64 parts on the parts for sale section of this forum.
Some good used , some NOS.

Only the tailight housing is left.
Attached Images
2014-06-10 10.02.30.jpg (42.3 KB, 57 views)
2014-06-10 10.05.11.jpg (44.5 KB, 52 views)
2014-06-10 10.08.08.jpg (42.3 KB, 50 views)
2014-09-17 16.58.55.jpg (53.9 KB, 47 views)
2014-09-17 17.08.03.jpg (44.8 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Charlie Jones; April 28th, 2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old October 10th, 2014, 01:35 PM
2 '66 98's

More "darksiders"

I missed this thread when it was active. I think I am a good candidate to join. Since I spend a few months in Kissimmee, FL during the winter I may look you (Charlie) up. I have had the white '66 98 Holiday Sedan since 1978. I paid $550. for it with about 72,000 miles on it. It has over 200,000 miles on it now. I restored it about 6 years ago. Three years ago I installed fuel injection on the original 425ci and put in a 200R4 trans. It now gets 20mpg on the open highway. I bought the red '66 98 convertible in 1997 with 34,200 miles on it. It now has 48,600. I drove it to Cincinnati to the Nationals in July. It is like riding on a cloud - smooth and quiet. I have some NOS and used parts for these cars if someone is in need.
Attached Images
WhiteRedOldsGrpPix.jpg (83.7 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by bigoldscruiser; October 10th, 2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: additional info
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
I missed this thread when it was active. I think I am a good candidate to join. Since I spend a few months in Kissimmee, FL during the winter I may look you (Charlie) up. I have had the white '66 98 Holiday Sedan since 1978. I paid $550. for it with about 72,000 miles on it. It has over 200,000 miles on it now. I restored it about 6 years ago. Three years ago I installed fuel injection on the original 425ci and put in a 200R4 trans. It now gets 20mpg on the open highway. I bought the red '66 98 convertible in 1997 with 34,200 miles on it. It now has 48,600. I drove it to Cincinnati to the Nationals in July. It is like riding on a cloud - smooth and quiet. I have some NOS and used parts for these cars if someone is in need.
Welcome to the "darkside".
I live on the northwest side of the Orlando metropolis in Apopka.
Send me your phone # in a PM. Maybe we can hook up sometime.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
Phantom Phixer

This thread has languished lately.
Come on "darksiders", there's got to be more of you out there.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:50 PM

Here's my '61 D88. I bought this last year as a rolling project as it had been off the road for around 12 years. It was imported from the USA by the previous owner who spotted it while he was in the town of Crockett in Texas. It is probably the most un-sought after models being a four door sedan plus it has ZERO options! No p/s, no a/c, no p/b, no radio, poverty hub caps etc etc.
That said I love the thing and use it on a regular basis . https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1&d=1415000896
Attached Images
JD520412.jpg (69.2 KB, 91 views)
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by andyolds88
It is probably the most un-sought after models being a four door sedan plus it has ZERO options! No p/s, no a/c, no p/b, no radio, poverty hub caps etc etc.
That equals rare. However, rare does NOT equal worth a ton of money!
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
That equals rare. However, rare does NOT equal worth a ton of money!

Ha ha, very true! I'm unlikely to get rich off my Olds that's for sure (far from it with UK fuel prices lol!)
It gets lots of attention though, in that respect it's priceless!
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Phantom Phixer

Need a 394 motor

I'm in need of a rebuildable 63 or 64 394 engine. (Aluminum timing cover. )
Prefer it to be in Florida , Georgia , or Alabama . As shipping is very costly.

Found one !

Last edited by Charlie Jones; April 28th, 2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: found one
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:08 PM

if you end up expanding your search - I know a guy that has one here in the chicago area for sale
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:23 PM

I've always loved big cars, I drove a 72 Eldorado as a daily driver for years and a 71 Coupe DeVille as my toy. I've become a big fan of late 60's Deltas and early 70's 98's.

I downsized to an 07 Grand Marquis. The 70 Cutlass lives in the garage most of the time.
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:04 PM

What a fugly car!Didn't your dad tell you not to buy ugly cars!
Old July 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM

Du you have any spares ? I need a couple of parts for my 62 Starfire.
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Well I did it again, I just can't say no.....I bought a 62 Starfire coupe in wedgewood mist with the blue interior. It's a builder so I can use my other car as a parts car and end up with a great car.I also know where I can get a new set of side panels.
Steve
Old July 18th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by olwreckman
Du you have any spares ? I need a couple of parts for my 62 Starfire.
What parts do you need?
Old July 18th, 2015, 07:41 PM

I need a 62 Starfire air cleaner, steering wheel horn center, rear bumper.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 07:45 PM
Phantom Phixer

Body mounts

Got the body off the frame on my 63 Dynamic.
Has anyone ever done a "Body Off" on a 63?
Where did you find new body mount bushings ?
Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:18 AM
Bfg

Its about time the full size Olds get some recognition! The 70-72 A Body's have become a dime a dozen, and all you see at car shows. And most have been restored with Chinese parts.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:33 AM

Ok thanks for the invite Charlie, I'm in! '63 Dynamic 88 coupe, rough on the outside, rougher on the inside but I love it!

I'm from England and I've only recently got hold of it so I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of the workshop manual, then I can get stuck into getting it up and running.

A few snaps I took of it below.
Attached Images
040.JPG (2.43 MB, 75 views)
037.JPG (2.40 MB, 67 views)
035.JPG (2.39 MB, 62 views)
036.JPG (2.45 MB, 59 views)
039.JPG (2.42 MB, 62 views)

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !