General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Selling My 71 Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2014, 01:04 PM

Selling My 71 Please Help!

Some of you guys were so much help earlier this year so I am back for some more advice.

I have 71 442, its a W-30 replica. I had intended on keeping this car for the rest of my life as it was my dads and has a lot of sentimental value to me. But recently some things have happened leaving my only option to sell my car. It is extremely heart breaking for me. I want it to go to someone who will really appreciate the car.

So my question is where do I start, what sites should I list on, how do you properly list a car of this type, and what is an appropriate bottom line to accept.
Attached Images
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:52 PM
Runner

There are pros and cons to a lot of different sites:

Ebay
Pro: Bigger audience
Con: Fees and occasionally people that don't pay. Ebay will take about $150 and paypal will take another percent if you use them (between 3-7 maybe, I don't remember).

Craigslist
Pro: completely free
Cons: Local market, deal with a lot of people who will offer you 25% of your asking price, and you risk just meeting with really weird people. However, I've always had good experience buying Olds or selling parts here.

Oldsmobilecentral.com

Pro: Its free, audience is just Oldsmobile people.
Con: Smaller audience.

Definitely here in the For sale section

Pro: Lots of Olds fans, fee
Cons: None, this site is awesome.

Others?

Your price is going to be subjective to what you think. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. Look around and see what cars in your similar condition sold for. Again, this may be difficult because a lot of people will list their car for one price, but by all means, that does not mean the car is worth it (ex Selling a 72 Cutlass Supreme for 50k when its just a normal car). Here is a link to other 1971 442s that I've seen for sale around the web. If you have an ebay account, you can also look at completed and sold listings to also give you an idea.

I'm sure other members here can give very valuable input.

Just remember, be as detailed as possible in your descriptions and have as many pictures of relevant areas (engine, trunk, inside, fenders, etc...).

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I wish you the best of luck with the sale. Hopefully some turn of events happen and you can just keep your car.
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:55 PM
Administrator

I agree with the above, is here is anyway you can get clear of your financial issue without selling the car. You'll regret it down the road. Good luck and hope everything turns out ok.
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:57 PM

Why not try to sell it on this site first? You may find someone willing to sell it back to you when the time comes when you can fit it back into your budget.
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:46 AM

This site is a very good idea, I know all the guys on here love their olds, and the possibility of being able to someday get it back would be incredible. What do you guys think about 20,000 to 25,000. To high, To Low? I will be going to the garage where I keep the car this weekend, so I can get some more info on it. Unfortunately weather isn't looking good here so I won't be able to get any good photos.

@oldcutlass, trust me if there was anyway around this I would never sell this car, but there just isn't. I'm recently became a single mom who will be receiving no support from the father, and current owner of a fixer upper style house that needs quiet a bit of reno to be able to rent part of it out for extra income. Its just a shitty situation.
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So, who is in Delaware and might be able to evaluate the situation "on the ground" and come up with a strategy that will allow Meg to keep her car?

- Eric
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:55 AM

As with any car related site there are guys ALWAYS giving out appraisals! With the joke aside, make a condensed description on here with some pictures. I tell guys we all know what a 442 looks like so show some of the areas you may not be happy with ie: ripped seat, pinhole or bubble here etc. It helps everyone get a feel for the car and maybe we could all lend an experienced honest hand. better to start here than just throwing it out to the sometimes uneducated masses.
Old August 1st, 2014, 07:31 AM

Ok I will work on getting some what detailed info I have, and see what pictures I can get, depending on the weather this weekend. Thanks for all your help guys!