General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New tires for my 88?

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:13 PM

New tires for my 88?

i've had the car for ten years, it has 46,000 miles. (i put approx. 1000 miles a year). the michelin ww tires that came with the car look great.

the code on the tire reads: DOT B3DV B5NX 262. (just noticed that tires were made in canada...if that matters?). i think these are very old.

i've been looking for new ones, very hard to find. i'm being given a choice of korean or chinese tires with names i never heard of. i know about coker, but those are $$$!

anyone know more than me? (please, don't all scream at once).

thanks!
Attached Images
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:11 PM

What exactly is very hard to find? Non-chinese/korean tires, a specific brand tire, a specific size tire, or ???

www.tirerack.com is a good resource for researching tires. I just researched there and then bought the tires I liked from Amazon with free shipping.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:31 PM

yes, familiar brands and a sliver of choice. after the baby formula scandal, i raise my eyebrows at certain chinese products, tires being one of them. but thank you for the link, i'll check it out now!
Old July 24th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Oldsdruid

Going thru the same thing on the Custom Cruiser wagon. You wouldn't think a 225/75R15 passenger car tire would be that hard to find, but pickin's are slim. The big-name tiremakers have abandoned that market. I can get light truck tires that size all day long... with a knobby truck-style tread. Yah right.

Norma, I'd go with Korean tires over Chinese. The wagon currently has a set of Kumho Solus with about 40k miles and other than being a little noisy they've been good tires.

I hate fooling with having to order tires and then find somewhere to install them.
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Administrator

If you move into a 70 series tire your selection increase a lot.
Old July 24th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

I went through this with the wife's 1985 D88 recently, which has 205/75-15s. I was able to get BFG snow tires in that size last fall, but BFG doesn't make regular tires in that size. Go figure. It pained me to buy Hankooks, though we've had no problems with them. I also used Kuhmos on my 93 Allante and the ended up being excellent all-around tires. Quiet and good wet and dry traction.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:45 AM

thanks rocketraider! i agree, i lean towards korean tires over chinese. and i also agree about buying them & having someone else put 'em on. no doubt the installers will be all, "we ain't responsible...."

fun71, i'm an idiot & not sure what "going to 70" would imply.

joe padavano, is it me or does this brand, HANKOOKS sound ridiculous? i can't help but think that a board room full of koreans decided that john "hancock" sounded like a great name, SO american, but somewhere along the way, the **** became kook!
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by normadesmond
i also agree about buying them & having someone else put 'em on. no doubt the installers will be all, "we ain't responsible...."
Tire Rack has a list of affiliated installers throughout the country to avoid exactly this problem. They will even arrange to drop ship the tires you purchase to an installer of your choice to avoid any hassles. I have used Tire Rack and others to buy tires with excellent service, however I have my own tire machine and balancer and mount them myself, so there's no issue of responsibility - it's ALWAYS my fault...

but somewhere along the way, the **** became kook!
That happens more often than you might think.
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM

now i've just discovered maxxis tires, available from coker. $135.00 w/ shipping, each. i phoned maxxis, they're made overseas, taiwan & 2 other spots similar.

i am SO confused.
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:08 PM

very good joe...

....i knew it was a great line as i typed it, but you gave it an excellent riposte.
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by normadesmond
i'm an idiot & not sure what "going to 70" would imply.
It's the aspect ratio of the tire. The sidewall height is a percentage of the tire width. A 75 series tire has a taller sidewall than a 70 series tire. This continues with 65, 60, 55, 50, etc.

So, a 225-70-15 tire would be slightly shorter overall and slightly wider tread width than a 225-75-15 tire.

Last edited by Fun71; July 27th, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM

thanks fun71....confusion's over!
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:51 PM

I bought a set of Hankook tires for my 88. Proper whitewalls in 225 75r15
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I went through this with the wife's 1985 D88 recently, which has 205/75-15s. I was able to get BFG snow tires in that size last fall, but BFG doesn't make regular tires in that size. Go figure. It pained me to buy Hankooks, though we've had no problems with them. I also used Kuhmos on my 93 Allante and the ended up being excellent all-around tires. Quiet and good wet and dry traction.

I've had two sets of Hankooks on my 98, both in 215/75/15. The first set of 714s were ok. I replaced them after 5 years due to dry rot. Typical in the southwest. Very slim pickins for for WWs. I've seen another Asian brand floating around called Champiro, and they make a 1" WW in a number of sizes. I called a supposed retailer here in Phoenix. The owner said he would get back to me with a quote and never did. A quick visit to the discount tire website showed 4 of the Hankook 724s available, so I jumped on it back in late December. They ride and handle better than the 714s and were made in Thailand instead of China, FWIW.
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:07 AM

If memory serves me, Cooper also makes a 225 75r15 in a whitewall. They're just harder to find. I had little choice last summer when I blew a tire and my spare was ... the original from 69.
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by henryk8398
I've had two sets of Hankooks on my 98, both in 215/75/15. The first set of 714s were ok. I replaced them after 5 years due to dry rot. ................A quick visit to the discount tire website showed 4 of the Hankook 724s available, so I jumped on it back in late December. They ride and handle better than the 714s and were made in Thailand instead of China, FWIW.
I'll be getting tires for my '65 JS1. Need to be 14" and I'm intent on getting ww because that is what it came with originally. I know, 14" tires are disappearing. But they will be radials, I'll make that concession (to originality). The correct size is 225-75-14, but those just can't be had. That was the slightly larger ww option in '65, the standard size was 215-75-14, which it presently has. The 215-75 is available in ww from Hankook in the Optimo H724. Great price, but I'm worried about them lasting long. Wearing out won't be an issue. 5 years won't make me happy, but the "storage conditions" are about optimal and certainly not the Southwest outdoor environment.
I'm still looking for a "close to the correct size ww radial", but I may just have to go with the Hankook.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Why worry about how long a tire will last? Most warranties are based on mileage. If your car is not a daily driver, how long will the warranty last? Read the warranty and for a couple dollars more you may be able to get full replacement on a failure, possibly never having to buy tires again...and free rotations to boot.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eubiedad
Why worry about how long a tire will last? Most warranties are based on mileage. If your car is not a daily driver, how long will the warranty last? Read the warranty and for a couple dollars more you may be able to get full replacement on a failure, possibly never having to buy tires again...and free rotations to boot.
I think you're dreaming. I've read the warranties. The warranty is for mileage in relation to tread-wear and manufacturing defects. Dry rot and other age compromises are not covered from everything I can tell. I'd like to see someone who has cashed in under those conditions.
Think about it: How are you going to approach them about replacement of 10+ year old tires that are not worn out and look fine? They won't replace them for age. But they better be replaced.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:32 AM

eubiedad.....i too became aware of cooper (online) & visited a ntw. that tire is discontinued & they only show having one, in texas.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:10 PM

OK. This thread prompted me to actually read the warranty.

Dry rot is not covered after 4 years of use or 6 years after manufacture on Hankook. They use the term "ozone cracking". Sound like its the environment's fault rather than cheap rubber.

So its covered. Not long enough to serve the life of a weekend classic, but well into the life of a normally driven tire.

I stand corrected
Old July 26th, 2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
The 215-75 is available in ww from Hankook in the Optimo H724.
Take a look at the 724 specs on their web site. I just bought a couple 724s in 205-75-15 for trailer tires and was surprised to see how much narrower the tread was than the existing tires. I checked their web site and sure enough, the listed tread width is nearly 2" narrower than the BFG tires currently on the trailer. This doesn't bother me for a trailer, but on my car I would really not like it.
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Take a look at the 724 specs on their web site. I just bought a couple 724s in 205-75-15 for trailer tires and was surprised to see how much narrower the tread was than the existing tires. I checked their web site and sure enough, the listed tread width is nearly 2" narrower than the BFG tires currently on the trailer. This doesn't bother me for a trailer, but on my car I would really not like it.
2 things that don't sound right, but maybe I'm missing something:
1. The 724 205-75-15 has 2" narrower tread than BFG 205-75-15? Shouldn't be.
2. Are you using passenger tires on your trailer? That is a big no no.
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:32 PM

2 things that don't sound right, but maybe I'm missing something:
1. The 724 205-75-15 has 2" narrower tread than BFG 205-75-15? Shouldn't be.
I was surprised to see that as well, until I realized how the tires are measured. The section width (the 205 number) is measured across the widest part of the tire, which is where the sidewalls bulge outward, NOT across the tread. Look at the actual tire specs on the Hankook web site - compare the 724 specs to the 725 and 727 specs and you'll see the difference in tread width with the higher performance (more expensive) tires.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Produc...m=2&FnCode=023

2. Are you using passenger tires on your trailer? That is a big no no.
It's all about the load rating and carrying capacity. I have a tiny utility trailer that is used for jobs that are too big (or dirty) to fit into the rear of the Jeep or the back of the wagon. The tires on the trailer have an individual load rating of 1600 pounds (97S) for a combined weight carrying capacity of 3200 pounds. Reduce that by the recommended 9% for P-metric vs. ST or LT tires and I'm left with 2900 pound capacity. My little utility trailer couldn't be loaded with that much weight, plus my Jeep is rated to tow only 2000 pounds, so there is no way I will ever be able to overload the tires.

Last edited by Fun71; July 27th, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old July 27th, 2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I was surprised to see that as well, until I realized how the tires are measured. The section width (the 205 number) is measured across the widest part of the tire, which is where the sidewalls bulge outward, NOT across the tread. Look at the actual tire specs on the Hankook web site - compare the 724 specs to the 725 and 727 specs and you'll see the difference in tread width with the higher performance (more expensive) tires.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Produc...m=2&FnCode=023

Thanks, I'll look into that.

It's all about the load rating and carrying capacity. I have a tiny utility trailer that is used for jobs that are too big (or dirty) to fit into the rear of the Jeep or the back of the wagon. The tires on the trailer have an individual load rating of 1600 pounds (97S) for a combined weight carrying capacity of 3200 pounds. Reduce that by the recommended 9% for P-metric vs. ST or LT tires and I'm left with 2900 pound capacity. My little utility trailer couldn't be loaded with that much weight, plus my Jeep is rated to tow only 2000 pounds, so there is no way I will ever be able to overload the tires.
I don't know whether you're safe or not, but it is definitely *not* just about load rating and carrying capacity. It is also about tire construction, particularly sidewall construction. I don't recall all the details, but what I do recall is the bottom line that one should not put passenger tires on trailers.
Old July 27th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

It is also about tire construction, particularly sidewall construction.
^^^This. Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls to help avoid trailer sway. Frankly, for a small, lightly-loaded trailer this is probably not a big deal so long as you have plenty of load capacity margin and don't overload the trailer or have the CG too far back.
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:28 PM

Correct. Trailer sway leads to tire heating, which can then lead to tire failure. On a flat utility trailer that won't see more than a few hundred pounds load weight (camping gear, couple sheets of plywood, etc) there won't be any problems.

I don't know whether you're safe or not, but it is definitely *not* just about load rating and carrying capacity. It is also about tire construction, particularly sidewall construction. I don't recall all the details
All of those things ARE about load rating and carrying capacity. As I said above, with a tiny trailer that is lightly loaded the tires I have are more than adequate. When you get to heavier loads and tandem axles (car haulers, boat trailers, tall enclosed trailers, etc) the tires become much more critical as there are much more stresses put on them. For a 4x6 utility trailer that will be carrying some supplies a couple miles from Home Depot to the house there is no issue.

Last edited by Fun71; July 27th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.