General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 gas gauge inop

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2014, 08:46 AM

67 gas gauge inop

Today I plan to find out why my gas gauge is still not working. Have replaced the sending unit. Going to test a few gauges to make sure I have a working gauge. Don't want to pull the dash to change a printed circuit at this point in the season. (don't want the car down for any length of time) I am also considering an aftermarket gauge. Has anyone installed a working aftermarket gas gauge in a 67 with the factory sender? If so which gauge did you use? I think this is the one major weak spot in these cars.

Thanks
Larry
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:49 AM

The circuit board can be changed without pulling the dash. If you take the seat out and give yourself some room,it's not bad @ all. I'm a big guy and I have done it a few times. I would check a few things before I did that.
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:51 AM

Yea I thought of taking the seat out for ease of access too. What all would you check?
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Administrator

What is the gauge reading now? What happens when you remove or ground the wire going to the sender with the key on?
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Yea I thought of taking the seat out for ease of access too. What all would you check?
The first thing I would check is the connector on the circuit board. I would put my hand on the wiring harness connector and move it gently and see if the gauge changes. You might need somebody to watch unless you have very long arms. I'm assuming that the gauge was working @ some point and just quit,right? You might also check the ground wire where it bolts to the pan to make sure it's OK and not corroded. You can also tighten all of the circuit board screws,they sometimes get loose or not make good contact. If you changed the sending unit and the ground wire looked good,that's probably not an option but I would double check it. The gauge itself could be bad and is very easy to change. There 3 bracket straps that go from the gauge down to the bottom of the housing and there are 3 screws that come in from the back/circuit board that connect the gauge to the circuit board. One of those might be loose and that's why I said to check the screws to make sure they are tight and making good contact.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; May 26th, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:09 AM

I will try all of that. It did work but, That was over 30 years ago when my Dad and I bought the car. I drove it home and it was working. After 30 plus years of sitting it could just be some poor contacts as you are suggesting. I will keep everyone posted. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks
Larry
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:18 PM

I tried all that was suggested. Here is what I ended up doing: Tested the gauge and it did not work, tested two others and found one that did work. I did not have any hot or ground at the gauge and the sending unit signal also did not seem to reach the gauge. I figured ok could replace the printed circuit. I have a couple that seem fine. Then decided nope, I will hard wire it and ;that will be that. So, that is what I did. Ran a new wire from the sending unit. ran a new hot lead and a new ground and it works perfectly. I did it all neat and you can't see the wires. No more worries about the printed circuit having issues. So, being as I have aftermarket gauges the only thing the printed circuit is doing it running gauge lights.

Not what a some would do. But, I want a working reliable gas gauge.

Thanks for all the input
Larry
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Works for me.