General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stumped on hot rough idle.

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Stumped on hot rough idle.

I am at the end of my rope with a hot idle problem. It sounds just like a vacuum leak at the exhaust ( that tell-tale chuff chuff sound) and the engine is shaky. It happens only when hot and run for awhile. Sometimes (rarely) it idle OK when hot. The Engine , a 350, runs great at all other throttle positions. The timing is a 7 BTDC, electronic ignition conversion, new tank ,new fuel pump, rebuilt quadra jet (professionally) and the throttle bushings and well plugs were done, new filters, new intake gasket (valley pan), new plugs and wires.

I tested all the vacuum lines, intake, pwr brake booster, trans modulator by pinching them off or propane. The idle screws are 4 turn out to get it to idle reasonably.They should be 1 and 1/2 I believe. Out richens it so I suspect a vacuum leak I just can't find. Or possibly that quadra- jet is in trouble. It runs perfect until its hot at an idle and then the idle is "shaky".
The only thing I am unsure of is the vacuum line routing. I don't have a diagram to verify....Any thoughts would be welcome...John
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68ragtop
I am at the end of my rope with a hot idle problem. It sounds just like a vacuum leak at the exhaust ( that tell-tale chuff chuff sound) and the engine is shaky. It happens only when hot and run for awhile. Sometimes (rarely) it idle OK when hot. The Engine , a 350, runs great at all other throttle positions. The timing is a 7 BTDC, electronic ignition conversion, new tank ,new fuel pump, rebuilt quadra jet (professionally) and the throttle bushings and well plugs were done, new filters, new intake gasket (valley pan), new plugs and wires.

I tested all the vacuum lines, intake, pwr brake booster, trans modulator by pinching them off or propane. The idle screws are 4 turn out to get it to idle reasonably.They should be 1 and 1/2 I believe. Out richens it so I suspect a vacuum leak I just can't find. Or possibly that quadra- jet is in trouble. It runs perfect until its hot at an idle and then the idle is "shaky".
The only thing I am unsure of is the vacuum line routing. I don't have a diagram to verify....Any thoughts would be welcome...John
Well, it does SOUND like a vac leak. It might be a crack that opens up as the engine gets hot. It might be the underside of the intake manifold. It might be the hot idle compensator.
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:15 AM

What idle RPM are you looking for....? Maybe just an adjustment or fine tuning is required between curb idle, and mixture screws......just a thought.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Just the facts...

it's very easy to check for a bad hot idle compensator. on the rear of the carb there is a small, spring-loaded pin, push it in straight with your finger. if the rebuilder overlooked the h.i.c. gasket-that would cause a vacuum leak.

bill
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Valve clearance problem when hot maybe ?
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
it's very easy to check for a bad hot idle compensator. on the rear of the carb there is a small, spring-loaded pin, push it in straight with your finger. if the rebuilder overlooked the h.i.c. gasket-that would cause a vacuum leak.

bill
I will check that out when I get the car back on thursday from getting the dual exhaust installed.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Modern Motoring
Valve clearance problem when hot maybe ?
Could be....I haven't checked. They don't rap. I haven't checked the compression yet either. It runs soooo nice off idle though. I don't understand why compression or valve lash would be it.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
What idle RPM are you looking for....? Maybe just an adjustment or fine tuning is required between curb idle, and mixture screws......just a thought.
Done that , but thanks.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:17 PM

It would be good to check those things, just to make sure.
My '71 Ford F-250 with a 390 would act up like that when the points and condenser started to get old.
Old August 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Oldsdruid

Had a 73 Delta that would act like that after it got good and warm. It was the Accel coil I had put on a few months earlier. Only coil I ever had to just absolutely fail.

My Toronado would act up warm too and that one ended up being a wore-out distributor.

Something to check- does the electronic ignition require a full 12v to operate, or can it run off the resistance wire?
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Registered

Is the choke set correctly and working? rebuilt isn't always good, I went through three "rebuilt" on mine. The butterfly isn't hanging and the pull off okay? If it were me and the carb is okay externally I would borrow a carb or get another one that I know is right and make sure it isn't that, sell it or return it if yours is okay, start eliminating things one by one. Engines chug when the choke is stuck, no heat riser valve on those is there? those really chuff when they get stuck.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 18th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:25 AM

The choke functions perfectly....its only has a problem at a hot idle. Something is "running home to mama" when the engine is hot, that is operating temperature. Its important to note that it had the same issue before the carb was rebuilt....it improved a bit.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Check the other post "rough idle after 20 seconds or so", sounds like you may have a similar problem. His was corrected with spark advance adjustment.
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM

OK. For those interested, I did a compression check this morning...........1) 115 3) 115 5) 100 7) 105
2) 100 4) 100 6) 100 8) 115
When I checked the rings by compression test w/oil, it only raised them 3-5 lbs each.

I think a valve(s) or seat(s) is/are in trouble. I adjusted the idle mix screws WAY out ( 6 turns ) on the "iffy side", 4 or so on the other side to get the best possible hot idle and I will live with it.

At this point rather than put the money into this engine, I will start looking for a rebuildable big block..
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM

BTW...the dual exhaust with flowmaster 40's sound heavenly!!