General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Re-stamped w parts

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2014, 06:46 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
Morgan whats actually more surprising is that trick is still a member on here .......... granted hasn't posted for obvious reasons but still...................
I agree and i dont understand why a modererator has not informed the administrator...it seems they are are more concerned about editing random posts because of a couple of swear words rather then suspend the ability of a member to sell forged parts,and i believe this is not just here say. I have always been against ANY forged or altered part that has a part number and date
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by NDERISE
i'am the guy that bought the car from mike, it is not his fault in any way he thought he was buying a no re-stamp carb and dist . just as all the others that have been scamed. he (mike) had no way of checking if the parts were re-stamps as the parts have been in my possession for the last 2 years. and was told as I was told they were not re-stamped so y worrier. but thanks to steve and sam we can verify the parts we need to be original ones. I think more people will come forward with these problems in time.

thanks ray
I know you are the guy saw pics of your parts last night and aware of the others as well. Hence the reason I started the thread as I too was ripped off. Sam from the get go has been instrumental in basically unfolding all of this pretty much and has been solely the go to guy in discriminating parts -real from fake. Yes agreed Im sure more will come forward as time goes on.
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
I agree and i dont understand why a modererator has not informed the administrator...it seems they are are more concerned about editing random posts because of a couple of swear words rather then suspend the ability of a member to sell forged parts,and i believe this is not just here say. I have always been against ANY forged or altered part that has a part number and date
I know the moderator Eric or whatever kicks Josh off and here we have people getting screwed for 1000's of dollars
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:32 PM

Mike did you contact ray in the late spring that some parts on his car are in question or did you just come out now because Ray is questioning parts Brian Tricks name was associated months ago and dont get me wrong im not accusing you of anything and i hope you told Ray right away because if you didnt it like egg on the face and unfortunate to get stuck in the middle
No I didn't contact him because I had no reason to believe Trick would do me that way. Ray has told me he in no way holds me responsible for this cluster. If I'm stuck in the middle,that's between Ray and I and then Trick and me.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; September 1st, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:59 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
No I didn't contact him because I had no reason to believe Trick would do me that way. Ray has told me he in no way holds me responsible for this cluster. If I'm stuck in the middle,that's between Ray and I and then Trick and me.
thats fine mike and i know your upset about this, i like to know as many details as possible when it comes to things like this that change hands and this is a pretty small community of cars like this
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM

Knowingly and willingly attempting to defraud someone over a certain dollar value is criminal and a Felony in most cases.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stefano
Knowingly and willingly attempting to defraud someone over a certain dollar value is criminal and a Felony in most cases.
Stefano,

What is the dollar value it needs to be over to be considered a felony?

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; December 29th, 2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:21 PM

Each State has its own parameters, but usually has to be $200.00 or more and in some cases as high as $1,000.00, but this is cumulative of all parts and transactions with the individual.

If its between two states / interstate and involves Banks and wire transfers, then the Feds can get involved.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:47 PM
morgan

I really dont think felony charges can be made here unless you have some legal contacts, even though a bunch of people have been screwed the seller can claim he was unaware and bought a bunch of parts in a lot and resold them...even if you have a lawyer in the family i dont think you will get far
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:52 PM

A contact dispute would make it a civil matter, not criminal. This type of issue can be both, civil and criminal.

Once a complaint is filed the Police would have an investigation and then decided whether or not to press charges, an arrest could happen faster than you might think.

Last edited by Stefano; September 2nd, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:01 PM

I really dont think felony charges can be made here unless you have some legal contacts, even though a bunch of people have been screwed the seller can claim he was unaware and bought a bunch of parts in a lot and resold them...even if you have a lawyer in the family i dont think you will get far

exactly, first phone call to Lake Erie Police Dept " Brian Trick sold me fake parts for Olds 70 W-30 "
officer - "huh, okay come down and fill out a report"

however just found out from Sam he has not been on here for months but Sam just told me he is ROP.
How could they not know has to be cross over within these two sites ???
He never paid back Sam in full so I wonder .......................
Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:17 PM

This thread is difficult to follow.

I am not placing blame, guilt or stating that any one particular person did or didn't do something.

But, yes that is how it works. It starts with a single complaint and if there are others and a pattern of fraud and deception is established, then an arrest may be eminent.

Please understand that I am not an attorney nor a Law Enforcement Officer, just someone with over three decades business experience within this industry.

Last edited by Stefano; September 2nd, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:31 PM

I am not placing blame, guilt or stating that any one particular person did or didn't do something.

But, yes that is how it works. It starts with a single complaint and if there are others and a pattern of fraud and deception is established, then an arrest may be eminent.

Please understand that I am not an attorney nor a Law Enforcement Officer, just someone with over three decades business experience within this industry.

not really difficult to follow and no one but yourself as of yet has mentioned such.

didn't see where anyone is attributing blame towards your way we are aware who the blame should be directed at

yes we all know how it works someone initiates a complaint

yes far as I know no one has mistaken a used car salesman for a lawyer or law enforcement at least I haven't

me and pogo were simply stating that "easier said than done"
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:09 AM

Please explain why this thread is difficult to follow?

To me it's easy - people got taken of thousands of dollars by paying for parts that they thought were legit BUt were fake! I personally, don't have $ to throw around like that! I think we all work to hard to throw money away by getting screwed!

Have a great day,

Sam
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:44 PM

Who is the person who faked-up / restamped the parts and who is the person who has been ripping people off by selling the parts. Is this all about one person or multiple individuals?
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:14 PM

one person w intent
other person bought carbs that were re-stamps but he did not know that

Last edited by dnmfranco; September 4th, 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:18 PM

Who is the person who faked-up / restamped the parts and who is the person who has been ripping people off by selling the parts. Is this all about one person or multiple individuals?

sent you email that gave more insight to this hope it helps
Dean
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:19 PM

sent you email that gave more insight to this hope it helps
Dean
Anybody who reads this thread can plainly see who the accused is. Hell,Stevie Wonder can see it.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Anybody who reads this thread can plainly see who the accused is. Hell,Stevie Wonder can see it.

lol, Mike that was funny
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM

not aware

there are many many of our fellow people that belong to this forum that are not aware of what is happening hear, I for one just read this post about 9 days ago. someone needs to flag this thread as a must read.

thanks ray
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by NDERISE
there are many many of our fellow people that belong to this forum that are not aware of what is happening hear, I for one just read this post about 9 days ago. someone needs to flag this thread as a must read.

thanks ray
I agree.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:10 PM

well not sure what else I can do far as that but will try to get "flagged"
it has gotten a lot of views and was a hot topic for awhile
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:18 PM

Ray,
Did you set up in the swap meet in Cincy?

Don W
Old September 4th, 2014, 05:04 AM

swap meet

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
Ray,
Did you set up in the swap meet in Cincy?

Don W
yes I sure did
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:30 PM

The story continues.........

One of our fellow members on here was looking at purchasing a distributor for his 71 W30 and a carburator for his 70 W30.

He received a message from the "seller" stating that he had the parts. Again, no pictures posted on the site but a PM was sent about the parts. A follow up email was sent with the following pictures.
(Yup, the seller again had the right date coded W30 parts for what the buyer was looking for- how convenient is that!)

The buyer did end up purchasing the distributor BUT passed on the carburetor. The part numbers on the carb were very suspect as the stampings were different in the before and after pictures that were sent to him. He recently received a refund for the distributor.

0fac0d32252245d665281638576a4117_zps99c78fee.jpg
c6c04d4c6778c95eb981a8aa4e6bc511_zps837f3f02.jpg

b04d4831b3d0b870643bd396834bdfc4_zps1cae85de.jpg
aebdc27a46b42ba0afbb99eaf363f28d_zpscd753303.jpg

c7e483f5d1dcc3e14ad05d0ee7d07599_zps30dfd634.jpg
cc615564dfcefbea1efca2702f688855_zpsfbc03c2d.jpg

Do you see the difference??? Look at the before/after pictures of the carb!
As for the distributor - re-stamp too. Look at the familiar smooth surface. The dist. is being sent to the facility to be looked at a little closer. I will let you know the findings as soon as I know.

Still 6 months later, more and more people coming forward about receiving
"re-stamped" W parts.

Something to think about again, In the previous few months how many W parts have you seen for sale compared to the previous few years! I wonder why???

Cheers,

Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; September 4th, 2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Sam is this recent activity if so did the communication via email occur on here?
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:21 PM

Sam is this recent activity if so did the communication via email occur on here?
Hey Dean,

The date of the conversation via email -
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:05:11 -0400
He received his refund for the distributor recently even though the transaction happened over a year and a half ago.

How many more ??

Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; September 4th, 2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:07 PM

okay well the differences in the carbs look pretty bad.

So is he still on ROP?
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:24 PM

One question that must be asked of those who got burned is:
Did you specifically ask if the part you were buying was an original or a re-stamp?

While I don't like re-stamps, and I think that anyone who re-stamps without disclosing it is being sneaky at best, it's not really fraud. If someone asks for a 7040258 carburetor and the seller ships them a carburetor which functions like a 7040258 and has 7040258 stamped on it, the seller has fulfilled the order. Only if the buyer specifically asks for an original part which has not been re-stamped and the seller ships a re-stamp has fraud occured. Good luck convincing a law enforcement officer otherwise.

As always, buyer beware.
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Last post yesterday, if we are talking about the same person.

Last edited by 70cutty; July 31st, 2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Did you specifically ask if the part you were buying was an original or a re-stamp?

While I don't like re-stamps, and I think that anyone who re-stamps without disclosing it is being sneaky at best, it's not really fraud. If someone asks for a 7040258 carburetor and the seller ships them a carburetor which functions like a 7040258 and has 7040258 stamped on it, the seller has fulfilled the order. Only if the buyer specifically asks for an original part which has not been re-stamped and the seller ships a re-stamp has fraud occured. Good luck convincing a law enforcement officer otherwise.

As always, buyer beware.

I was one of the many that got burned! 1K for an OW tranny - which I stated I want an original but I got a restamp. Then I paid 1400 for an original TM code 70W30 rear end so I thought - again a restamp.

Every single person that I have communicated with have stated that they asked for an original W specific part -- NOT 1, again NOT 1 asked for a "restamped W part!" They wanted ORIGINAL like myself!

Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; September 4th, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:33 PM

I am also wondering now how many times the "seller" sent legit pictures of W parts via email and thhen later shipped a different part totally.

I only say this because of the before/after pictures above.

Sam
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Beer Connoisseur

As always, buyer beware.
It is a fraud if you are paying for an original.
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM

As always, buyer beware.
I agree w being forthright up front but unfortunately from the buyers in question here, this was not the case in all of 10 scenarios .... at least

I bought a 8255 thinking it was the real deal and it wasn't. Yes it did perform well, but I paid authentic money for a re-stamp.

I also agree yes good luck convincing law enforcement, I mean this is not diamond counterfeit here although just as criminal in my view.
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
It is a fraud if you are paying for an original.
yes, which is why this thread came about. We were ripped off and yes does rhyme w Brian
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:47 PM
morgan

As always, buyer beware.
your kidding right?

paying 800 -1500 dollars for a 50 dollar part...restamping a more valuable number over a lesser value number...not really fraud?
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 72xw30
The part numbers on the carb were very suspect as the stampings were different in the before and after pictures that were sent to him.

Do you see the difference??? Look at the before/after pictures of the carb!

For the uninformed can you please describe what makes the carb a restamp

I see an original and a restored carb.

I can say for sure I don't see the usual milled surface that would indicated that the carb has been altered. I see a lightly stamped 0 on both. I see a heavily stamped 9 on both. The alignment of the numbers looks the same on each. The pics are taken at different angles but I don't see anything glaring enough in these pics to say without a doubt that this is a restamp. I can't tell for sure if they are the same carb or not because the second one has obviously been restored.
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM

Mike I'm no pro either but look at 5 in the date code

Also I have had 3-4 carbs restored the integrity of the numbers has never been compromised by the restoration. I am not saying that has not happened to someone else by poor workmanship.
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Mike I'm no pro either but look at 5 in the date code

Also I have had 3-4 carbs restored the integrity of the numbers has never been compromised by the restoration. I am not saying that has not happened to someone else by poor workmanship.

So they may not be the same carb.

I still don't see what makes either of these an obvious re-stamp. Did someone mic the surfaces to prove they're been milled? Are there specific internal alterations to these carbs to differentiate them from a standard q-jet or more likely something that has not been machined so it retains an original casting surface? I'm not passing judgment on anyone. I just want to know what makes these re-stamps. Without a milled surface I assume you'd have to have blank castings to recreate these.

As far as distributors go I think Octania mic'd a bunch of the OD's one time and when one was turned down it was glaringly obvious but not necessarily from the photos
Old September 4th, 2014, 04:18 PM

correct sometimes they take any carb and turn into what they want
For instance the 8255 I bought, it turned out that it started out as a chevy carb.

Usually they don't touch the internals from what I understand

for instance when BAPS came out w that initial line of re-pop w carbs, the internals were not done correctly to w specs.
So they performed poorly

Far as the milling aspect Sam is more versed on that

Quick Reply: Re-stamped w parts