General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Safety Sentinel Speedo

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2014, 02:10 PM

Safety Sentinel Speedo

Does anyone have a safety sentinel speedo on their car? If so, does it work and how well does it work? I acquired the speedo for my 59 but don't have the correct PC board. Seems the regular PC boards had all the right copper traces, just not the right holes and buzzer connections so I drilled the holes and put in the light and connection to the speedo sentinel mechanism. It should have a buzzer also but I have no clue what that should sound like or how reliable the whole sentinel thing really is cause it looks fairly delicate. Anyone have any experience with this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (64.5 KB, 37 views)
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:09 PM

I've got one in my 69 and I've worked on a number of them from other late 60s cars. I've never looked at one of that age. The differences on the later ones compared to the regular units aren't that great. The PC board, the buzzer, the adjustment ****/shaft, the both speedo needles, and a couple plastic screws instead of metal make up the functional differences. Simple option that does what it is advertised to do...
Old February 7th, 2014, 06:47 PM

I did the same on my 63, added the clips by drilling and riviting them on. The buzzer and the light come on when the yellow needle is hit by the speedo needle making the connection.
The buzzer sounds like a door buzzer when you open the door with the key still in the ignition of a 70s car.
The boards are forgiving as long as you don't bend them far enough to brake the silver threads.
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:13 PM

Thanks 69ho and Oldskeeper. Mine is a bit older and the roll type of speedo but same principle I guess. It all checks out on the bench so it should be ok back on the car. The PC Card is all repaired and I spread a bit of epoxy over the copper traces to keep them adhered. I'll have to try and find a buzzer.
Attached Images
image.jpg (68.5 KB, 42 views)
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Another pic.
Attached Images
image.jpg (55.1 KB, 28 views)
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:43 PM

My '65 Starfire came with the speed minder. The first time it went off on me (just purchased the car), it made an intermittent buzzing noise and I thought my speedo cable was failing...until I looked down at the dash and also saw the white-yellow light in the dash blinking. Both the intensity of the buzzing and light appear to increase the further past the limit you go.
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:11 PM

Thanks Mid60. That's interesting. I think mine will just be a steady light and buzz. Circuitry looks that way. No electronics involved, just an interesting switch. It appears it will only stay on while the speed is at what is set then maybe 10 mph more. Once I see that it works I'll probably set it to 110 and never hear/see it again. Unless.......
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:11 AM

The 66-67 one on the round speedo has the orange needle hit a sprung wire behind the white, user set, needle. I think it keeps going on past. I have a setup with everything but the buzzer, I think. I'll strap it next to the ralley pack and have needles everywhere, hah.