General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1955 Oldsmobile Transmission Help Please

Old June 27th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Question 1955 Oldsmobile Transmission Help Please

Hi Everyone,

We just put our engine and transmission back in our 1955 Oldsmobile 98, we changed the front pump seal. When we started the car up, it ran for 10 minutes and then the transmission fluid started pouring out of the car. It looked like it was coming out of the front. We took it all apart and put another front pump seal on. Sure enough got it all back together, let it run about 10 minutes and it still is pouring out. We have 3 mechanics working on it and they are baffled. It's a hydramatic transmission. Before we did the engine and took off the transmission, we would leak transmission fluid if the car sat for a couple days, but not alot, also not when it was running, and it wouldn't pour out like it is. Any ideas at all, we've baffled about what could be the problem?

Also, is there another transmission that you could put into the car to replace the hydramatic transmission?

Thanks so much for any help....
Sandy
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM

There is quite a bit of information on our website about swapping modern automatic transmissions in place of the earlier units. Check it out with the search function.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM

I am curious if once you put the transmission back together, filled it with transmission fluid and started it for 10 minutes, did you go thru the gears or was it just sitting there in Neutral? Did you actually drive it? I had a friend who overfilled a '57 Hydramatic, and it came peeing out a vent hole, but it was towards the rear of the transmission. Did you use a new seal or one that came out of the box that was 50+ years old? If you have access to a car lift that would make things easier for you to see where it is peeing out of in front of your face while its running. I know - that sounded disgusting
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM

I just bought a 4 speed hydro-matic 55 olds 88. The owner told me it has a shift kit in it but 2nd gear realyy jerks. He said that the dual? linkage needs to be adjusted. I have no idea what he is talking about and who in the Savannah, Georgia/Claxton area could I contact on this. The car runs grat except for the hard shift going into 2nd and down shifting into 2nd- Thanks-Neal Hammack
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:37 PM

I wouldn't get in to much of a hurry to swap out your hydramatic at least as yet. These are robust and a very good transmission and were used in dragsters well into the 60's. I believe your problems are centered more around your mechanics lack of knowledge than a serious problem with your transmission.The problem you describe isn't a common one and since it did not occur be for you tore it down I would be looking at a disassemble assembly problem. There are people on this board that live and breath these transmissions and I'm sure when they see your post help will be on it's way. There are adapter plates available for modern transmissions ( ross racing) if you should chose that route, but at a high price and it's doubtful that a rebuilt would cost anything near what a conversion would end up costing. If you don't get the information you are looking for here try posting in the transmission forum where some of the experts hang out.... Just my thoughts....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; March 12th, 2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: misspell name
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Cool I need some assistance on my 1955 88 olds bench seat

I am 6'4" and need to relocate my bench seat back about 3" . How is the best way to do this. I cannot find any pictures about doing this even with the GM 1955 shop manual.-Help!
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Neal Hammack
I am 6'4" and need to relocate my bench seat back about 3" . How is the best way to do this. I cannot find any pictures about doing this even with the GM 1955 shop manual.-Help!
Neal, you need to start a new thread for this subject. This thread is about a 55 transmission.