General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 442 w30

Old October 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM

It's in the classifieds....I hope somebody gets it before I molest it...
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:18 PM

Glad you are putting it up for sale first and seeing what happens. I for one am a purest with W30 cars but completely see your side of it. For now.... since the engine is missing anyway.... who cares what's in it for now, you can drive it an enjoy it until you either find someone to buy it or find the real parts.

Before I get lambasted, believe me this is a great car, a great find and should be brought back to life as it was but it is very easy for those to say Olds parts cost money but W30 specific parts are an "arm and a leg" easy to talk about it, way harder to come up with the funds. Just a pet-peeve of mine, just cause someone owns a W30 doesn't mean they have a million to spend on it. Just don't change it any more than it is.
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:49 PM

PM sent. Maybe I should consider selling mine? Havent given it any thought until now?
Old October 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM

I am no expert at all on 67 w-30 cars but can vin number verify if this is a w-30 car? if not what paperwork {pop, original sales order, window sticker} is needed to verify w-30? if no paperwork is available than is car just a regular cutlass or 442 and not rare? just curious.
Charlie,,
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
I am no expert at all on 67 w-30 cars but can vin number verify if this is a w-30 car? if not what paperwork {pop, original sales order, window sticker} is needed to verify w-30? if no paperwork is available than is car just a regular cutlass or 442 and not rare? just curious.
Charlie,,
Well I will chime in with limited knowledge, the trim tag will at least tell you if the 442 was built within the window of production which started in late January and finished in June. The window sticker would be proof positive and I believe so will a POP. I believe all 67 W's were Lansing built so a build sheet wont be found. One should have proof positive before big money is paid for a supposed W30. Otherwise it is a 442 with W30 components and should be valued as such. Someone please correct me if my info is not correct.
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:51 PM

my opinion

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Well I will chime in with limited knowledge, the trim tag will at least tell you if the 442 was built within the window of production which started in late January and finished in June. The window sticker would be proof positive and I believe so will a POP. I believe all 67 W's were Lansing built so a build sheet wont be found. One should have proof positive before big money is paid for a supposed W30. Otherwise it is a 442 with W30 components and should be valued as such. Someone please correct me if my info is not correct.
Your assessment is 100% correct & in line with my own thinking. I hope that the car is a real W machine & I am pleased that it is for sale because putting a LS engine into it was not acceptable.

Good luck with the car & the upcoming sale.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:42 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Your assessment is 100% correct & in line with my own thinking. I hope that the car is a real W machine & I am pleased that it is for sale because putting a LS engine into it was not acceptable.

Good luck with the car & the upcoming sale.
The car sold in a couple hours. Even if you can't prove its a w30 a near rust free 67 442 black /red , gauges , 4speed buckets / console car was well worth the $$$ it sold for.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:56 PM

thanks for the info! good to see the car sold so fast. seems to be going to a good home with a nice future.
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:20 PM

It's real.
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:59 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
It's real.
care to share how you know for sure?
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
care to share how you know for sure?
Can I say for absolutely for sure it's real? no I can't but after 30+ years of looking @ these cars,it's real. There's some things that would have to be looked @ in person to make sure. I'm not being evasive but there is things that the factory did that can't be duplicated and placement/sizes of different parts that cannot be told. The reason is to keep somebody from cloning a car. I'm sorry if this isn't good enough for you but that's the best I have.
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Trying to remember member

The POP will authenticate it only if it is originally an auto trans car.
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:06 AM

Can I say for absolutely for sure it's real? no I can't but after 30+ years of looking @ these cars,it's real. There's some things that would have to be looked @ in person to make sure. I'm not being evasive but there is things that the factory did that can't be duplicated and placement/sizes of different parts that cannot be told. The reason is to keep somebody from cloning a car. I'm sorry if this isn't good enough for you but that's the best I have.
X2!! Mike is absolutely correct. Those of us that have spent countless hours looking at these cars trying to "DISPROVE" their authenticity know that there are still some generally unknown "tells" about the cars that the :cloners" dont know about!! Therefore, as has been said countless times before, - we cant PROVE IT IS REAL -- but we can POSITIVELY DISPROVE one form being REAL. I agree with Mike that we do supect" that this car is REAL -- but a close-up inspection may DISPROVE the car.

Good luck to the new owner --- if it is Danny Lattimore that got it -- he will do the car absolute justice --- and we can all be assured the the car has found a very good home and owner! Congrats to Danny ( if you did get the car)!!
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
X2!! Mike is absolutely correct. Those of us that have spent countless hours looking at these cars trying to "DISPROVE" their authenticity know that there are still some generally unknown "tells" about the cars that the :cloners" dont know about!!
If there is one thing I hate is someone trying to pass off a clone as the real thing. Also I do not feel the general public needs to know these "secret" factory mods on the W30, but what happens over time and all the experts are no longer around? Where will this info be stored or will it just get lost?
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:04 AM

If there is one thing I hate is someone trying to pass off a clone as the real thing. Also I do not feel the general public needs to know these "secret" factory mods on the W30, but what happens over time and all the experts are no longer around? Where will this info be stored or will it just get lost?
That my friend is a very good question. I'm not ncluding myself in the 'expert' category by any means. I do have a good knowledge of the 66 cars and somewhat in the 67 cars. Curt Anderson is the best guy on 66/67 cars. His library and documentation files are very extensive and would be the best guy IMHO to write a book. His work schedule right now doesn't allow for it but he's nearing retirement age and maybe then he could. Even Curt learns something all of the time about these cars. There has been a particular thing come up recently that appears to be a 67 W-30 only deal and this car appears to have it. It's not iron clad but it's leaning toward possibly identifying a 67 W-30. I'll give you an example of how Curt has been documenting these cars. When we were @ the Olds Nats in Dallas,we ran into a guy who said he has a 67 W-30 but it wasn't for sale. Curt asked the guy could we look @ the car and he agreed but said again,it's not for sale. So we got directions and took a long trip the next day just so Curt could ID the car. It was the real deal but in not so good condition but was really worth looking at. I've tried to encourage Curt to write a book and maybe he will.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:28 AM

That my friend is a very good question. I'm not ncluding myself in the 'expert' category by any means. I do have a good knowledge of the 66 cars and somewhat in the 67 cars. Curt Anderson is the best guy on 66/67 cars. His library and documentation files are very extensive and would be the best guy IMHO to write a book. His work schedule right now doesn't allow for it but he's nearing retirement age and maybe then he could. Even Curt learns something all of the time about these cars. There has been a particular thing come up recently that appears to be a 67 W-30 only deal and this car appears to have it. It's not iron clad but it's leaning toward possibly identifying a 67 W-30. I'll give you an example of how Curt has been documenting these cars. When we were @ the Olds Nats in Dallas,we ran into a guy who said he has a 67 W-30 but it wasn't for sale. Curt asked the guy could we look @ the car and he agreed but said again,it's not for sale. So we got directions and took a long trip the next day just so Curt could ID the car. It was the real deal but in not so good condition but was really worth looking at. I've tried to encourage Curt to write a book and maybe he will.
For sure Curt should write the book! And the real "beauty" of the "newly-discovered" "tell" that Mike is referring to is that it would be almost impossible for a cloner to duplicate it! And that's the best news us real 67 W30 car owners have had in years. This probably even benefits the 4 speed cars moreso than the auto cars!
Danny Lattimore had great plans for the car already! Talked to him this morning!!
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM

And the real "beauty" of the "newly-discovered" "tell" that Mike is referring to is that it would be almost impossible for a cloner to duplicate it! And that's the best news us real 67 W30 car owners have had in years. This probably even benefits the 4 speed cars moreso than the auto cars!
Tweed if true why should it not be disclosed... I mean what you are saying of being nearly impossible to reproduce? This is starting to sound like info a NJ chapter president once told me he had about factory produced W31 Rallye 350's. He said they were produced and he could tell if they were legit upon inspection but would not reveal what he would see.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Interesting, so based on these latest posts, something was seen in these pics, which means it must be in the pic of the engine compartment. I don't know much about the 66/67s so I'm guessing the firewall or the crossmember must have something that tells a unique story - wish the 68-71s did as well.
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Tweed if true why should it not be disclosed... I mean what you are saying of being nearly impossible to reproduce? This is starting to sound like info a NJ chapter president once told me he had about factory produced W31 Rallye 350's. He said they were produced and he could tell if they were legit upon inspection but would not reveal what he would see.
Joe - the main reason for not "publicizing" the detail of the "find" is that the people that due the "diligence" on these cars -- Curt and others --- want to be 99% certain of it before prematurely telling the public and then maybe to suffer the "embarrassment" of having it turn out to not be the "iron-clad" tell that it could possible turn out to be --- You can be rest assured that all will know it as soon as they are confident enough to "hang their hat" on it!!
Right now it stands as a "fact" that may still be able to be "DISPROVEN ?

Secrecy in not a issue in this case! Mike may have more to add?
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:18 PM

..... what I think I know .....

The tell is easily reproduced, that is the reason to not state it on a public forum. I've known the tell for ~20 years and don't travel in the "Olds" circles and don't personally know many "Olds" people & have yet to have anyone discuss the "tell" openly among strangers. It is an easy YES/NO '67 W-30 indicator.

Recently a young (20 something) Olds enthusiast started talking to anyone/everyone who has/had (or thought they had) a '67 W30 - he learned/discovered the tell and discusses it openly. So its existence is becoming more widely known.

I'm a numbers "geek" & have info on 26 of the '67 W30s, mostly from online forums & auctions.

here's mine 338177M258924 I've owned since '90 (look familiar - maybe from NW PA, it had a 12" wide white stripe around the tail end) - unfortunately the pic with no engine is more recent - I guess I need to get some work done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1967-w304spd.jpg (90.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC05583.jpg (60.4 KB, 31 views)
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
..... what I think I know .....

The tell is easily reproduced, that is the reason to not state it on a public forum. I've known the tell for ~20 years and don't travel in the "Olds" circles and don't personally know many "Olds" people & have yet to have anyone discuss the "tell" openly among strangers. It is an easy YES/NO '67 W-30 indicator.

Recently a young (20 something) Olds enthusiast started talking to anyone/everyone who has/had (or thought they had) a '67 W30 - he learned/discovered the tell and discusses it openly. So its existence is becoming more widely known.

I'm a numbers "geek" & have info on 26 of the '67 W30s, mostly from online forums & auctions.

here's mine 338177M258924 I've owned since '90 (look familiar - maybe from NW PA, it had a 12" wide white stripe around the tail end) - unfortunately the pic with no engine is more recent - I guess I need to get some work done
It's possible that the 'tell' has been discussed on an open forum,I do not read everything that has been posted. It's not that somebody wants to know something nobody else does,it's trying to preserve the authenticity of any given car. There was a 66 W-30 found with a Cutlass front end,no engine or trans but the tell tell factory nuances of the factory 66 W-30 were there thus authenticating the car. If the tell tell that has been discussed about the 67 W-30 is what I'm thinking it is,it's not a positive tell tell. I had a January build 67 W-30,one of four that did not have the tell tell sign. That's the reason the tell tell is still under scrutiny,not sure yet. More 67 W-30 are going to have to be checked to verify it.
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Shoveling Snow

I have looked at a fair # 0f 67 W-30s and yes they have certain aspects of the build that tell me that they are correct. A lot have been raced and modified to the point it can be a little difficult ascertain if they are really W cars.
Wrecked cars did have their parts moved to different bodies. Thru the years originality was not a concern.
If you want to know how to identify a fake talk to Mike, Tweed, Curt or myself in person. Or look at an original unrestored car, they are out there. I think the info will be passed to the right people that will use it for good and not evil.
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:14 PM

For sure Curt should write the book!
That would be great! I would like to see or hear about Oldsmobile racing beginning with the 64 442 thru the early 70's and of course the developement of the W30 and factory backing for race cars. I am partial to 67's though.