General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Our new Technical Editor/Moderator

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Past Administrator

Our new Technical Editor/Moderator

I want everyone to know about a new function at our website. Joe_padavano is going to be our new Technical Editor/Moderator. He is going to be watching threads/posts that ask questions which many of us may know the answer to but sometimes may slip through the cracks and not get a response on. I have asked him to try and keep an eye out for accuracy of the information we share as well. As many of you know, Joe has displayed quite a bit of knowledge on Oldsmobiles and it seems only right that we have someone to keep us on track in that regard.
Who knows, if he gets a writer's bug he may write a few articles for us as well. Oldsmobile History, documentation, years for certain models, options etc, may be a subject.
I hope this helps everyone and makes our site more useful and a more meaningful part of our Oldsmobile experience.
Thanks.
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Great idea.
Joe has helped me here(and other places) with issues like motor mounts,
brakes/MC's & brackets. He's a wealth of info.
Congrats on the Bump Joe!
-Pete
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks and I hope I live up to your expectations. I also guess I should write a formal intro, since I never did.

I've owned Oldsmobile A-body cars continuously since I inherited the family 68 Vista Cruiser when I got my driver's license in 1974.

Note that the Vista received a 425 transplant not too long after I got it (and without the parents' knowledge) and I proceeded to dust off a few of the local hotshots in central Massachusetts as I was growing up (including a 69 Mach 1 whose owner was incredulous). I graduated to a 68 442 that I pulled out of a wrecking yard and completely refurbished (It only took three years!). Since then I've owned about two dozen Oldsmobiles, mostly 64-72 A-body cars.

I moved to SoCal in 1980 with two Cutlii and came back to the right coast in 1987 with five. See attached pictures from moving day. The cool thing is that you get a discount if you fill the car carrier with one stop (there's a Jag and a Chevy crewcab in addition to the five Oldsmobiles). The orange 71 parked above the cab of the truck was featured in the Oct 1985 issue of Car Craft Magazine (pg 106, but who's counting...). It had a tilt front end from VFN Fiberglass, dual quads, nitrous, and a bunch of chrome. Unfortunately it went away in the first divorce (along with the Jag). The truck has been replaced but I still have the other four cars (66 442 convert, 68 W-30, 69 H/O, and 70 W-30). I've added another three A-bodies plus the 64 Jetstar. Unfortunately, all need work and right now the pressures of running my own company and trying to restore the 300 yr old log house on our farm (yes, I had to buy a project HOUSE also...) don't leave a lot of time to work on the cars. My wonderful wife (third time's a charm) is very understanding (which I'm sure has NOTHING to do with her also having an expensive hobby - horses).

Well, thanks again. We'll see how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Moving 11.jpg (63.3 KB, 529 views)
Moving 17 .jpg (45.8 KB, 453 views)
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Senior Moment

Congrats Joe, you have steered me in the right direction a few times. What's nice is you can deliver accurate information without talking down to the less knowledgable, as some other "experts" seem to revel in.

Here's a question for you, I have a 69 350, stock heads (#5) and an edlebrock performer. I've put 2 stock turkey tray manifold gaskets on it already, before it comes out this year I'm about to put the third one on. It doesn't seem to want to seal good. I have puddles of coolant in the runner area and oily tar like crap along the top of the manifold/head joint on the drivers side.

The first gasket was a carquest one, the second came from an engine shop, it was a fel-pro. Is there a better/different gasket?

Tom
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM

I would suggest you try a paper type gasket such as MR Gasket etc. These are usually thicker and the front and rear rubber seals usually end up too low so silicone is needed on these front and rear. I have found these to work well but must be checked now and then after initial torque-ing of bolts as the paper tends to squish over time. I dont worry about not having the valley tray in place with these but they are available if you think you need one.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jokers69
...Here's a question for you, I have a 69 350, stock heads (#5) and an edlebrock performer. I've put 2 stock turkey tray manifold gaskets on it already, before it comes out this year I'm about to put the third one on. It doesn't seem to want to seal good. I have puddles of coolant in the runner area and oily tar like crap along the top of the manifold/head joint on the drivers side.

The first gasket was a carquest one, the second came from an engine shop, it was a fel-pro. Is there a better/different gasket?

Tom
Tom,

I've used the FelPro metal gaskets exclusively. I run a bead of RTV around both sides of all four coolant openings before installation. This is the technique called out in the Chassis Service Manual. Note that the turkey tray has raised bosses around four of the bolt holes at the four corners. These are designed to fit into recesses in the heads to keep the gasket in place when you install it.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I would suggest you try a paper type gasket such as MR Gasket etc. These are usually thicker and the front and rear rubber seals usually end up too low so silicone is needed on these front and rear. I have found these to work well but must be checked now and then after initial torque-ing of bolts as the paper tends to squish over time. I dont worry about not having the valley tray in place with these but they are available if you think you need one.
The paper-vs-metal argument has been going on forever. If you choose to use paper, take the old turkey tray and cut off the part of the gasket that seals to the ports. Now you can snap it in place under the lower edge of the heads and voila, an instant, free valley pan.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

It seems Oldsguy has been cooking this idea up for a while. Glad to see good things happening. I can't wait to see an accurate tech section, and I will help out whenever I can. I am far less knowledgeable than many of you folks, but I have had over 10 GM cars, and have kept both of my Oldsmobiles running since I was 15 years old.

Is there an internet address that we should send factual information to if the need arises?

Last edited by J-(Chicago); March 14th, 2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Past Administrator

That's what Joe is for, it's up to him how he handles it.

BTW Joe, if after some thought, you think we could use another forum, let me know.

pps; I have used the trimmed turkey tray in combination with paper gaskets and like it, getting those little alignment dimples to line up and have the tray keep it's place can be a real chore sometimes.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Is there an internet address that we should send factual information to if the need arises?
Since it seems impossible to get anyone's attention over at 442.com, one of the things on my to-do list has always been to find a way to create an updated Olds FAQ. I wish I had more time to do it personally, but let's think about an interactive way to make that happen. As I've noted previously, the original Olds FAQ is the result of David Brown extracting bits of information from posts made to the old Chubecto mail server ten to fifteen years ago. Much of it was correct (thank Chris Witt for that) but some of it was not.
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Cool!
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Congrats Joe....
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Oldsdruid

Padavano don't know jack...

I just hope I don't lose him over on AACA/OCA forums, since it sounds like he'll be pretty busy here.

Joe is one of those folks who has forgotten more about Oldsmobiles than most people could ever hope to know. If he answers your question, it will be researched thoroughly and most important, accurately.
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
........ I have asked him to try and keep an eye out for accuracy of the information we share as well ........
Good move.

Norm
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Joe, congrats.. and I'm glad you agreed to do this.

If things go "as planned" I'm about to start hitting this site hard for information and/or help.

Jeff
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Good job Dan! Joe is certainly quite a "catch"....and thank you, Joe, for volunteering your time and effort in an "official" capacity.

C.J.
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

No question this makes the #1 Olds website now. I think "Thanks Joe" is more appropriate that Congratulations. I don't know Joe but have been amazed at how anybody can know as much as he know about a large number of different models. I think the Congratulations should be to the website and all of us who frequent here.

Now if a few people will become more civil, this website will continue to become even better.

Thanks Joe
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM

As redoldsman suggested: Thanks Joe!

And I really like the idea of an updated Olds FAQ 'section'.

Don
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
dar83501

Excellent, excellent.

By the way...what I wouldnt' give to steal that car carrier big rig in those photos, Joe

Old March 17th, 2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
........ to find a way to create an updated Olds FAQ ........
http://tech.classicoldsmobile.com

I would start by making the needed corrections. Next, moving anything suspect, to a "sticky" in a subsection of your new Technical Forum. It would be dedicated to discussing/verifying the accuracy, of each item, before returning it.

A second subsection could be used to discuss the validity of information posted in the other forums.

Norm
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Thanks Joe, you da man. Like they say "give the busy man the job and he will do it". I hope I speak for all of us when I say Classic Oldsmobile just moved up a step.
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
is Fast Enough ...

A great move on a solid site ...
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM

congrats joe . Without you particularly and other helpful souls I would have been well up the creek .....
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Help I'm new and not savy....

I have just joined and would like to add a pic of my car but cannot seem to figure it out.

thanks,
Stu
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by bigstus62starfire
I have just joined and would like to add a pic of my car but cannot seem to figure it out.

thanks,
Stu
start a photobucket account . When you transfer a pic they prep it so you can post the pic online.

DSC00797.jpg
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by bigstus62starfire

thanks,
Stu

Do you mean as an avatar? If you cannot select one. PM Omicron, he is our technical guru and will be able to help you. If you can select an avatar you might be trying to use a file that is too large, there are restrictions. Welcome to our site. Don't be afraid to start your own threads, we don't mind.
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Registered Luser

Hey Joe,
Thanks for all you do for the site but , I hope this doesn't lead to divorce #3!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM

having trouble replying at times

I've had some problems when I try to reply to someone who has answered a question for me. I get messages saying I'm not logged in or I don't have permissions even though I know I'm logged in already. Any way I just wanted to thank Joe for answering my differential questions on my 87 olds.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Past Administrator

Clutch,
I had some difficulties with that too. If you browser is Internet explorer that may be the problem. I had that and switched to Firefox instead, not suggesting you use that in particular, but try a different browser. Also, try it with cookies turned on if you haven't already. If you still have trouble you might need to consult a computer guru. It is probably in your browser, not the site.
Dan
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Joe- You've been doing a great job ! I just noticed that you've been restoring a 300 year old log house. Oddly enough, so have I . My restoration and remodeling began in May of 1976, and continues to this day. ( There's no end to the work !)
Good luck !
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
No question this makes the #1 Olds website now. I think "Thanks Joe" is more appropriate that Congratulations. I don't know Joe but have been amazed at how anybody can know as much as he know about a large number of different models. I think the Congratulations should be to the website and all of us who frequent here.

Now if a few people will become more civil, this website will continue to become even better.

Thanks Joe
Let me add my thanks to Joe for his knowledgable replies and expertise! Really takes the site up 3 or 4 notches! Also, Many thanks to redoldsman for his Vietnam service; for that matter, thanks to any/all that served our great Country!
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Randy C.

That's great news! I've seen Joe's name on 442.com for several years now and, more recently, this site. I've always wondered how he knew all that he did about Oldsmobiles, and now I see! Thanks for the bio, Joe, and this is one person who appreciates the detailed knowledge that you have. There are "correct" answers to questions, and then there are "really correct" answers to questions - Joe always has the "really correct" answers. If I can be of any help to you, Joe, I'll do my best. I have a '68 442 that has been in the family since February 1969, and a '69 442 that is a work in progress. My first car was a '69 442 that I bought in New London, CT, in April 1972 for $1800! I'm a detail/all original/numbers correct sort of person (also have a '71 Corvette and that's where the numbers correct stuff came from) but have still learned so much more from you and WMachine Kurt. Congrats again on your selection and I look forward to reading your thoughts and answers to questions!
Best Regards, Randy C.
Attached Images
Olds68442conv1.jpg (44.0 KB, 84 views)
Olds69442.jpg (37.2 KB, 106 views)
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by PetChemMan
Joe- You've been doing a great job ! I just noticed that you've been restoring a 300 year old log house. Oddly enough, so have I . My restoration and remodeling began in May of 1976, and continues to this day. ( There's no end to the work !)
Good luck !
In that case, I don't feel so bad. It's only been 10 years for us so far!
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
That's great news! I've seen Joe's name on 442.com for several years now and, more recently, this site. I've always wondered how he knew all that he did about Oldsmobiles, and now I see! Thanks for the bio, Joe, and this is one person who appreciates the detailed knowledge that you have. There are "correct" answers to questions, and then there are "really correct" answers to questions - Joe always has the "really correct" answers. If I can be of any help to you, Joe, I'll do my best. I have a '68 442 that has been in the family since February 1969, and a '69 442 that is a work in progress. My first car was a '69 442 that I bought in New London, CT, in April 1972 for $1800! I'm a detail/all original/numbers correct sort of person (also have a '71 Corvette and that's where the numbers correct stuff came from) but have still learned so much more from you and WMachine Kurt. Congrats again on your selection and I look forward to reading your thoughts and answers to questions!
Best Regards, Randy C.
Thanks, Randy. I also want to thank you for your picture of the correct W36 stripe!
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Let me add my thanks to Joe for his knowledgable replies and expertise! Really takes the site up 3 or 4 notches! Also, Many thanks to redoldsman for his Vietnam service; for that matter, thanks to any/all that served our great Country!
Thanks, Aron. I enjoy your column in JWO.
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks Joe!

You've definitely been a huge help with some of the random questions I've brought to the board over the last 2 or 3 years. Even when you don't help directly, your advice usually points me in the right direction when I do back searches for information.

Keep up the good work!

-Russ
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks as well Joe!

Maybe we can get that trim tag decoding section going as now you'll have even more free time!
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Thanks as well Joe!

Maybe we can get that trim tag decoding section going as now you'll have even more free time!
I'd like to do that. There are bits and pieces on the web, mostly single-year websites. The 1965, 67, and 69 cars are pretty well covered.
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM

I just don't understand how someone can put out a book, call it a "restoration guide" when it's not, and then have little to zero help on the trim tag decoding. I'd love to do a better Olds guide/restoration book some day.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Valuable Asset To Classic Olds!

I just read the thread on Joe P. joing up and I want to send a welcome to him. I've read alot of info. on various sites pertaining to vintage Olds cars and his name keeps cropping up under the credits. Good luck in your new venture, Joe! Jim

Last edited by jimjr; June 6th, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Wrong surname initial- whoops!

Quick Reply: Our new Technical Editor/Moderator