General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Weirdest, most random quirk in your Olds

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Weirdest, most random quirk in your Olds

Cracked up when I finally found the cause for the flickering of my shifter position light - it has somehow been wired so that pressing the console compartment lid fully down turns the light off. With your arm on the lid, going over a bumpy road would make the light flicker.

Made me wonder what other charming little oddities you guys have experienced.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Many years ago my son had a 67 442 4 speed. The balancer ring let go one day. We put on a new balancer and the engine was making a weird hum that was rpm related. Not wanting to destroy the original engine, we pulled it and went through everything. Found nothing that was suspicious to cause the hum. Put the engine back together, new water pump, other new parts and machine work. Still had the hum. Later the heater core started leaking so we replaced it. NO HUM. Still don't know why the heater core had anything to do with it after the balancer came apart.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:19 AM

My Olds has it's own personality. Sometimes when I drive it it squeaks, rattles, and doesn't run as good as she should. Almost like she's cranky. Other days she is smooth as glass and just wants to get up and go...
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:52 AM

The tranmission gets jammed between two gears when one rear wheel is in a low spot
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
My Olds has it's own personality. Sometimes when I drive it it squeaks, rattles, and doesn't run as good as she should. Almost like she's cranky. Other days she is smooth as glass and just wants to get up and go...
Geez, that sounds like my wife...............LOL
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM

When I make a sharp right turn sometimes, the engine skips a single beat, just an individual miss. Never any other time. I've checked wiring, all connections are good, nothing seems odd, just this single quick miss on right turn sometimes. It's so insignificant that I haven't dug any further.
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Intragration
When I make a sharp right turn sometimes, the engine skips a single beat, just an individual miss. Never any other time. I've checked wiring, all connections are good, nothing seems odd, just this single quick miss on right turn sometimes. It's so insignificant that I haven't dug any further.
my 69 cutlass did the same thing! Hahaha
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
my 69 cutlass did the same thing! Hahaha
Weird! What kind of carb and ignition did you have on that car? Mine is an Edelbrock 1406 and factory HEI. If I had to guess, I'd say it was an electrical thing, it's just too instantaneous and isolated to be anything else.
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:06 PM
same but different

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
Yep..

Sometimes the dome lignt won't come on when I open the passenger door.

In response to turning right...that sounds like a fuel delivery problem..the jets or pick up are losing fuel or Maybe a float mis-adjusted. Or maybe not. I too, have not worred about it.

Sometimes i wonder why some car guys give female names to their cars. Hmm......maybe they are right about something.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

My dome light always works properly but once in a while my door buzzer dosen't work.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:02 AM

My door buzzer does the same.

I don't know if it's a feature, but I can turn the key in a fourth position, further toward myself than the OFF position, where only my radio works - no fan, no lights, no wipers.

Had my dome light come on a few times when braking, it got to the point where it would flash on a bumpy road. Turned out to be the driver door jamb switch.
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:34 AM

In 1985 while working at a olds dealer in Illinois, I was given the task of finding a whistle noise in the rear of a custom cruiser. After a handful of other techs replaced everything in and around the rear differential I eventually found the slats for the roof rack were installed backwards causing the whistle. In those days the slats were shaped like airplane wings, so if installed backwards they made noise. Never forgot that one. Took me around 3 days and around 50 test drives.
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:05 PM

mine can all be fixed but are frustrating non-the less. Sometimes the neutral safety switch doesn't work on the dual gate so I have to remember to move the shifter back and forth to start the car. Every once in a while while starting the car it will backfire - scary but actually kind of cool, smokes right out of the hood scoops, looks bad@$$ but I think I need to fix that soon before I melt a hood

my car squeaks on some days too, mostly cold days.

I bet everyone with an OAI hood has had one of the latches stick. Man that's a bear!
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:53 PM

Mine squeaks quite a bit. My exhausts bump against my frame on certain turns. They're leaky under driver's side floorboards.
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM

While I have yet to figure out the why, I did in fact once own a '54 Olds 88 (a real beater at the time) on which one had to use the inside handle to open the driver door in order to get into the car, and to exit the vehicle the driver had to use the outside handle?
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:51 AM
New 2 Olds

On the F-85 once in a while there is this sound like a molding is loose on the left side that I hear occasionally when I drive in the rain. At times it sounds like an electrical short but everything is ok. I never hear it any other time and have no idea where it's coming from.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Strange rattling noise ,once in a while, near the foot well in my 77 olds. Did it for 30 years. On my restoration I found a new door lite switch in the frame rail area. Worker must have dropped it while installing during assembly. One less NOS part I had to buy!!

Mike
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Jeremy Clarkson said once, when reviewing US cars of the ~73-85 era, that you might find an old tuna sandwich in your car, if it was made on a Friday or something like that.

Here, found the video:
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Clarkson sure has put on a little "patina" since that show! Now it make me wonder, maybe Mr. auto worker put that switch in the frame rail as a little "present" for the buyer.
I just got a 1932 license plate from a friend. He got it from a guy who found about a 100 of them in near mint condition. He found them in a wall of an old prison he was helping tear down. People put things in the strangest places!!
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Makes you wonder who will find some of the junk I leave in odd places.
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Mine has a quirky thing about it. Whenever I step on the gas, the ash tray comes flying out of the dash.
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by don71

Sometimes i wonder why some car guys give female names to their cars. Hmm......maybe they are right about something.
Besides the quirkiness, I think it's appropriate to name these cars after women because they are some of the most beautiful cars ever made.
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:07 PM

The biggest quirk i have is turbo rocket fluid blowing out my fluid metering valve when i build boost. This will be a big Spring project to figure out. This is on a 62 Jetfire
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Seff

I don't know if it's a feature, but I can turn the key in a fourth position, further toward myself than the OFF position, where only my radio works - no fan, no lights, no wipers.
Yes, that is normal. Look in your owner's manual, it will tell you about it.
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

flying disc

When I launch at the dragstrip on Nitrous the alloyDPP07DA0501140E36[2].jpg tax disc holder literally flies off the winscreen and flashes past my eyes ending up on the back seat so now i detach it before i race, Paul, UK.
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM

Starfire: Hah, the lack of indication on the column threw me off. Thanks, man.
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Intragration

I had a similar problem, it turns out it was the distributor was worn. My 1965 Olds 88 did the same thing - on a right turn!
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:55 AM
New 2 Olds

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
I had a similar problem, it turns out it was the distributor was worn. My 1965 Olds 88 did the same thing - on a right turn!
Now I know why mine does that. Same thing, sharp right and I get a miss.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM
One part at a time

When my foot slips off the clutch the back tires have a tendency to spin like ole Tas.
I think it has something to do with RPMs but I am still testing.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM

I think it has to do with the rear tires and poor traction, but I'm not sure.
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:26 PM

30 years ago on my 69 442 the dimmer switch on the headlight switch the one you turn to lower the interior light or brighten it would dim my tail lights, I took it to 5 auto electric shops and to the local Oldsmobile dealership in Killeen Texas and nobody could find the problem, I worked on it for months to no avail finally I found a shop in another town called Harry's Auto Electric and he said he would give a try and he fixed it but the funny part was he did not know how he did it.
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Chased away the gremlins you had behind your dash, no doubt.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:55 AM
General Confusion

One of my sisters had a 70 something Delta 88 that would get so much carbon build up on the distributor car contacts that it wouldn't start. happened every couple months. She would wind up borrowing my car for the day, and I would wind up grabbing a screw driver, knock the crap off of the cap and rotor, and then go cruising in the boat for a day. I told her every time to buy a new cap and rotor, but she never did. It would have been easy for her to do considering she worked in the parts Dept at Kmart (back when they actually had a parts ans service area.)
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:02 PM

When driving with driver side window down I can tell when I'm doing 55 because somehow at exactly that speed my door mirror starts to whistle. Also the light under dash on driver side only seems to work when passenger door is opened first, but even then it doesn't work every time.
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:27 PM

Not random but definitely weird, the last 10 inches at the bottom of my drivers side quarter panel are hand welded from the factory.
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:45 PM
Senior Moment Member

When I shut my Toro off it makes a sound near the center of the dash that sounds like a spring expanding. Kind of like boing, boing, boing. Then nothing.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
Mine has a quirky thing about it. Whenever I step on the gas, the ash tray comes flying out of the dash.
That's that Oldsmobile torque.

My 85 442 started to make a weird grinding, squeaking noise that kinda sounded like a duck call, happened when you revved it in park or in gear at low rpm. I found out the distributor shaft inside the housing had no lubrication and caused the "duck call".
Old June 2nd, 2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
Remember the bensi box? The radio that you can pull out and hide it under your seat? Mine use to fly out when i step on the gas and hit my girlfriend in her lap. She hates sitting next to me. So i have to shove some napkins in between the radio and the frame to prevent it to fly out.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Sometimes for know reason at all, my car will put down rubber and start smoking all the way up the street. Me thinks it's a loose nut behind the wheel.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:35 PM

A quirk I think I fixed, but seems to be a problem with the 53 models, at least the ones i've owned.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ng-column.html

Quick Reply: Weirdest, most random quirk in your Olds