ClassicOldsmobile.com  

Go Back   ClassicOldsmobile.com > General > General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search
General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Forum!
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Classic Oldsmobile Forum today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Registered User
 
leepear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 786
reproduction 1970-2 delux steering wheel

My restorer is trying to determine if there is enough demand to produce a reproduction steering wheel for a few special cars. This is not the four spoke rally wheel that everyone wants but the colored to the car with the horn bar type wheel. I am not sure of the cost but he needs to order 6 to be able to product the wheels. Contact Gary Riley at gary@levelonerestoration.com directly if you are interested. Level One is the company that restored my car and only does top work. Lee
leepear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered User
 
tomsw31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Langley B.C.
Posts: 172
Lee,
Thanks for the heads up, I sent Gary a note.
tomsw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:24 PM   #3
delete
 
droptopron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,443
Just for curiousity, do you have a pic of what it looks like?
droptopron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Registered User
 
72 w29 all green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wilson, NC "The City of Beautiful Trees" and great BBQ
Posts: 336
So it sounds like he would do the '70/'71 wheel ('69 might be same too?) since the '72 was different.
__________________

1972 Oldsmobile Press Preview

Joe in Wilson, NC
1972 Lansing-built Cutlass S W-29 442, U-Code 455
See and read about it at http://72w29.tripod.com/
72 w29 all green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Registered User
 
71Convertible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Suburbs, Chicago
Posts: 32
Repo steering wheel

I'm interested and sent an email. Thanks for the post!
71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Olds Nut
 
m455sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Powhatan,va
Posts: 808
Marcus Thompson
i sent one as well
__________________

1970 Cutlass SX
1970 442 Convertible
OCA#041704
1962 Chevy Stepside
1988 Suzuki Samurai
m455sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Registered User
 
455man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 991
I might be interested unless the 72 is different. I'll look for pics.
__________________
'72 442 350/TH350
'72 Cutlass 455/TH400 3.73 posi
455man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Registered User
 
71Convertible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Suburbs, Chicago
Posts: 32
69-71 Cutlass steering wheel

I will post or attach a picture of the wheel in my 1971 Cutlass Supreme, which I believe is original. I'm interested if those with more experience than me will comment if it appears as original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010120.jpg (66.7 KB, 93 views)
__________________
Don

'71 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible
'07 VW EOS
'10 Ford Flex
71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 134
I just stumbled upon this but did the steering wheel ever get produced?
tdhill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Registered User
 
mike8162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 w29 all green View Post
So it sounds like he would do the '70/'71 wheel ('69 might be same too?) since the '72 was different.
I think the 69 wheel is flipped 180 degrees. I would be curious to know if the wheel would work if flipped or if the mounting apparatus for the horn bar is different. I have a sport wheel but unfortunately it is red and my car is blue. I would much rather replace the wheel with a new deluxe wheel rather than dye the sport wheel.
Cheers, Mike
mike8162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:58 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Demond's Muscle Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 35
Yeah it would be nice to know if these are being repoped...I have been looking for a 67 three spoke Delux for ever!! I think I'm going to get the Eastwood Kit and see what happens.
__________________
Demond
Demond's Muscle Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #12
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demond's Muscle Car View Post
Yeah it would be nice to know if these are being repoped...I have been looking for a 67 three spoke Delux for ever!! I think I'm going to get the Eastwood Kit and see what happens.
Google is your friend. I loaned them a 64-66 Deluxe wheel and Curt Anderson loaned them a NOS 67 Deluxe wheel for the molds.


http://www.kochssteeringwheels.com/p.../mainIndex.asp

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; December 4th, 2014 at 05:09 AM.
66-3X2 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Demond's Muscle Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 35
Google

Well don't ya know I've been tryin' and didn't see them
Thanks for lending KOCH'S the wheel for their mold!!!!!

I've stated it before and I'll state it again...CO and its members are the ABSOLUTE BEST!!!!!!!
__________________
Demond
Demond's Muscle Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442 View Post
Google is your friend. I loaned them a 64-66 Deluxe wheel and Curt Anderson loaned them a NOS 67 Deluxe wheel for the molds.


http://www.kochssteeringwheels.com/p.../mainIndex.asp
so you are saying...if i find anyone to lend them a steering wheel in good condition they can restore my wheel?

still looking for 1970 Olds N37 option deluxe steering wheel (tilt&telescope)

http://automotivemileposts.com/toron...ttelescope.jpg
__________________


1970 Olds Toronado GT...Escape Machine
EightballZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #15
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightballZ View Post
so you are saying...if i find anyone to lend them a steering wheel in good condition they can restore my wheel?

still looking for 1970 Olds N37 option deluxe steering wheel (tilt&telescope)

http://automotivemileposts.com/toron...ttelescope.jpg
I'm sure it would have to be a wheel that would be beneficial for them to undertake. Any wheel they use for a mold has to be either NOS or perfect with no wear. Contact them for the possibility.
66-3X2 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,143
So, what do you send them? Your busted, cracked wheel, and they do what?

Recast means bust it down to the frame and pour new plastic around it, thus making it
a new mold on an original frame? I have the wheel on my 67 and a couple of cores, might
send them one. Although, their verbage about no quotes until we see your wheel might be
a euphemism for freaking expensive, so who knows. Not spending 1500 on a steering wheel.
Koda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #17
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
So, what do you send them? Your busted, cracked wheel, and they do what?

Recast means bust it down to the frame and pour new plastic around it, thus making it
a new mold on an original frame? I have the wheel on my 67 and a couple of cores, might
send them one. Although, their verbage about no quotes until we see your wheel might be
a euphemism for freaking expensive, so who knows. Not spending 1500 on a steering wheel.
To recast a 66 wheel is appox. $350- $400 last I checked. Is that expensive? Why don't you ask them before you say things like that? You know how the internet is,you say it's $1500 and it gets around it's that price. I have found them to be very reasonable with the recast wheels like the 66/67 units.
66-3X2 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,143
Whoah, dude. I categorically did NOT say they charged 1500. I know of another
place that charges near that much. I also said "may", and "who knows."

Thanks for the info, but it's getting like I need an attorney around here.
Koda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #19
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Whoah, dude. I categorically did NOT say they charged 1500. I know of another
place that charges near that much. I also said "may", and "who knows."

Thanks for the info, but it's getting like I need an attorney around here.
You can say whatever you like but posting something that could be taken for granted ain't right. I worked my @$$ talking them into doing the 66/67 wheels so guys would have a good option for a recast wheel at what I think is a very reasonable price. The pricing may have changed but even @ $500 for a very nice recast wheel wouldn't be out of line in my opinion and no I'm not making a dime from any work they do on the 66/67 wheels. Just trying to help because I know how hard they are to find in decent condition. How bout this,the 64-66 wheel I loaned them brought $800 in used condition.
66-3X2 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,143
All I can say is I didn't say what you think I said. Calm down.

I'll be happy to send them my business, maybe even twice.
Koda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Registered User
 
Demond's Muscle Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 35
Recast wheels

66-3X2 442,

I gave KOCH's a call this past week and the nice gentleman told me $400.00 for a recast 67 Cutlass wheel. He wanted me to send him pics of my old wheel which is a Non-Tilt Delux. He says they may be able to repair my original, but after pulling it off last night I will opt for the recast. I think that $400.00 is actually a fair price. High only if compared to the standard wheels that can be bought on e-bay, OPGI, and the like. I like the original wheels better.

I am going to sent him, I forget his name, the pics in just a few.
Thank you again for loaning KOCH the wheel as well as replying to my post.

Koda,
You did peek my interest in how the recast was done. I was wondering if they needed the original for the cast also.

CO Members are just like Family...
__________________
Demond
Demond's Muscle Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #22
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demond's Muscle Car View Post
66-3X2 442,

I gave KOCH's a call this past week and the nice gentleman told me $400.00 for a recast 67 Cutlass wheel. He wanted me to send him pics of my old wheel which is a Non-Tilt Delux. He says they may be able to repair my original, but after pulling it off last night I will opt for the recast. I think that $400.00 is actually a fair price. High only if compared to the standard wheels that can be bought on e-bay, OPGI, and the like. I like the original wheels better.

I am going to sent him, I forget his name, the pics in just a few.
Thank you again for loaning KOCH the wheel as well as replying to my post.

Koda,
You did peek my interest in how the recast was done. I was wondering if they needed the original for the cast also.

CO Members are just like Family...
That's good you got in contact with them. I didn't loan them the 67 NOS wheel,that was Curt Anderson. I should have explained the process in the recasting of the wheel. All they use from the used wheel is the metal frame by removing the original material. They then recast it in the mold using a high grade plastic. The only thing is,the OEM wheels are cast in the color needed where as the recast wheels are painted to match. No thanks needed,just glad to help.
66-3X2 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,143
Does the paint wear off?
Koda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #24
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Does the paint wear off?
Not in your lifetime.
66-3X2 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:14 PM
ClassicOldsmobile
1957 Oldsmobile




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1970 Delux (N30) steering wheel m455sx Parts Wanted 21 February 12th, 2013 07:35 PM
1970 442 Wheels needed - Steering Wheel too Jeff70442 Parts Wanted 7 April 5th, 2012 06:16 PM
Need help with 1970, 71 & 72 Interior & Steering wheel colors 1k442 Interior/Upholstery 3 February 8th, 2012 01:30 PM
LOOKING for a 1970 Cutlass S Steering wheel HOT-SHOT10 Major Builds & Projects 0 October 13th, 2011 01:22 PM
1969 442 delux N-34 steering wheel black complete w/cap mobilesolutionswi Parts For Sale 2 April 22nd, 2010 08:45 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Advertising - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs
All content Copyright 2008 by Internet Brands, Inc.