General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

VIN plate covered

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM

VIN plate covered

I've had this "problem" since I bought the car.

The VIN plate on my 85 Delta is pushed up and is not visible thru the little window on the windshield. The VIN plate is there and it has never been removed, it's just pulled or pushed up and you have to look up in the window and you can barely see it. It's covered with the black boarder around the windshield

My concern is if I get pulled over and the cop cannot see the VIN plate, blah blah blah.

I bought a 2 pack of those utility knives with the break off tabs and tried scraping it. I did only try for a few minutes, but it didn't seem to be working.

Short of either breaking the windshield or having the windshield removed to get to it, how do I fix this? Will the razor thing work and I just need to try it longer?
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:19 AM

The vin plate is probably OK,it's the windshield is the problem. I just had to put a windshield in a 04 Toyota Solara that I bought my grandson. It had a glass replaced @ some point before I bought it and it had slid down making it look like the vin plate had been moved. New windshield,problem fixed. You might get lucky and a glass guy might get it out without breaking it,good luck.