General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Baby Car Seats in 70 Cutlass??

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Baby Car Seats in 70 Cutlass??

DOes anyone have any experience with baby seats either rear or fron facing in a 2 door cutlass? Obviously theres no spots to clip anything im guessing i can jysu run a lap belt through the back and tighten it the best I can.....Obviously these cars are stronger than most so Im not worried about safety its more securing it so the wife is satisied and I can take the baby out thus increasing my cruising time 10 fold.

Thanks Im sure theres guys in the same boat.
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Curts1970cutlass
DOes anyone have any experience with baby seats either rear or front facing in a 2 door cutlass? Obviously theres no spots to clip anything im guessing i can jysu run a lap belt through the back and tighten it the best I can
You can run the lap belt through the seat for the lower connection but if your's is like mine the seat belt buckle will be in your kids back. There are a bunch of threads on this. Do a search. There's a gadget that takes up slack that you can install on the buckle side to move it out of the seat area

Originally Posted by Curts1970cutlass
Obviously these cars are stronger than most
I wouldn't say that's necessarily true
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Runner

Car seat? I just let my baby drive!

mSHKB.jpg
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Ben

All car seats (as far as i know) allow the use of regular lap belts. In fact using them is probably as strong or stronger than using the latch system belts. Latch system is about convenience. If you look at them, they really don't hold it in the car any better than non latch.

I have a britax marathon seat in my 66, the belt passes through the plastic frame underneath the plastic seat part.

As someone else mentioned, the seatbelt release buckle/button part falls right under the back of the seat, which at least on this seat isn't a comfort thing for the kid since its through the support under the seat- but it is a PITA to press the release button.

Rear facing in an old car is a different story though... you really need to add some sort of anchor position to anchor the front half of the seat when its installed that way.

My son is now 4 and pretty big, hes going to be moving to a booster seat soon, and i have no idea how thats going to work in the olds, since it doesn't have shoulder belts in the back...
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:54 PM

you'll need one of these

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2267437
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Curtiss,
We had a discussion about this on the forum a while back. Bottom line is if you want to be in compliance with the law and keep Amanda happy, check in at the RCMP. They'll give you the straight info about what you need to do to keep everyone happy. You just know that with your car on the road, it's going to attract some attention with that shiny new red paint...there may be some exemptions that apply to older cars; I'm not sure.
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Joffroi

good one!
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Joffroi

PRICELESS The expression says it all. Gonna need a periscope, leg and arm extenders, a couple of phone books to sit on and some hankies to wipe the drool of the wheel ..... Faster young man, faster
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Took my son and 2 year old grand son,in my 70 W30, with the baby seat hooked in the rear seat with seat belt, worked great. Like my son said, did you ever think you would have a baby seat in your car? It was the Goodguys show, in Pleasanton, And my son and grandson got a the photo in the Goodguys magazine, I guess because my grandson had A Goodguys T shirt on, gramma and mom were real pleased.
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM
72 Olds CS

The seat in my 72 would have had the buckle in the boys back. I used the center belt and the drivers side belt to offset the buckle I tied the drvrs belt in a knot to offset it better. This also allows access to the belt tensioner

When installing a baby seat put your knee and all your weight in the baby seat to compress the car seat. this will preload the seat belts and increase the tension on them. making for a secure install

My baby seat has been in for a year w no issues

the rear center of the vehicle is alleged to be the safest location for a baby seat FYI