General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Love the sound of an Oldsmobile in the morning!!

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Love the sound of an Oldsmobile in the morning!!

In my area seeing a classic Olds is a rare. However, this morning on the way in to town, a 67 black 442 post pulls out ahead of me. She was definately a beauty. Naturally, I had to roll down the window to listen. Nothing like the rumble coming from a BB olds to make it a good day.
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Always room for one more

Beautiful Olds sound

I have my Cutlass on tape idling and revving up a little. That car hasn't run in years so once in a while I take out the tape and listen to it. Music to my ears.
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Administrator

I love the sound of any hotrod at any time of day. It's music!
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM

I hear you on the BB sound - I love it. SO MUCH nicer than the fart noises that are way too common around here.
There is a guy with a 50's Chevy rat-rod who lives just up the street from me and he drives that car everywhere. Everytime I hear its 454+ cube rumble, I almost drool. It does not bother me when it wakes me up at night either (kinda like train horns, too).
I know, its not an Olds, but it works for me!
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I hear you on the BB sound - I love it. SO MUCH nicer than the fart noises that are way too common around here.
There is a guy with a 50's Chevy rat-rod who lives just up the street from me and he drives that car everywhere. Everytime I hear its 454+ cube rumble, I almost drool. It does not bother me when it wakes me up at night either (kinda like train horns, too).
I know that sound intimately!
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by slantflat
I have my Cutlass on tape idling and revving up a little. That car hasn't run in years so once in a while I take out the tape and listen to it. Music to my ears.
Now, that's thinking!! Mine has been down 3 months now, while I redo the front end. What started as changing the CA bushings and ball joints, and now the front clip is off. I think it's Rob's fault.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I love the sound of any hotrod at any time of day. It's music!
Me too! Going to Goodguys, in Columbus tomorrow. A cylinder symphony!!!!

We will give you that one. Actually, the best looping engine I ever heard was in a 30 something Merc. It seemed like one cylinder fired every 5 sec., and it shook the ground, when it idled by. Don't know what it was, but it demanded respect.
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Now, that's thinking!! Mine has been down 3 months now, while I redo the front end. What started as changing the CA bushings and ball joints, and now the front clip is off. I think it's Rob's fault.
Nope, your fault for not ordering one of my anti-MAW helmets!

Actually, the best looping engine I ever heard was in a 30 something Merc. It seemed like one cylinder fired every 5 sec., and it shook the ground, when it idled by. Don't know what it was, but it demanded respect.
Just like this old Chevy. Since he is just up the alley, he never revs it - just idles it and lopes on by. I can just about count each cylinder firings!
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Registered Loser

I'm a big Chevy, Buick, & Pontiac fan but nothing sounds as sweet as the "Oldsmoburble". There's not many engines that can be ID'd by their exhaust note but the Olds is one of them.

A worn out 260 with a leaky exhaust sounds better to me than the typical flowmastered V8.
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:54 PM

A month ago a guy from one street over walked up my driveway.

He said: "Hey, I live on the next street over and I hear your car all the time!"
I said: "I'm sorry if it's too loud, I try not to start it up after 9pm except for weekend car shows and such."
He said: "Well it is loud, and I've got to tell you my wife hates it!"
I said: "Oh I'm so sorry, but there's not much I can do. I'll try to limit my night time driving if that helps, the last thing I want to do is **** off the neighborhood."
He said: "Oh no! You go right ahead! You crank that thing up any time you want! It pisses my wife off, NOT ME! I love it! And I love that it pisses her off too so you're good all around! By the way, what's in that thing..."

It was hilarious! Needless to say, even those you would least expect still appreciate a loud big block classic lol!
Old July 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Red face

Originally Posted by junqueboi
I'm a big Chevy, Buick, & Pontiac fan but nothing sounds as sweet as the "Oldsmoburble". There's not many engines that can be ID'd by their exhaust note but the Olds is one of them.

A worn out 260 with a leaky exhaust sounds better to me than the typical flowmastered V8.
Yep, when I met the guy to look at mine. I heard it before I saw it. Knew what it was.

Nope, your fault for not ordering one of my anti-MAW helmets!

Well, the reason I didn't buy one was because they're defective. It seems that some of the wires are crossed, instead of deflecting, it is collecting MAW's. Remember, I've read your posts (By the way, you shoulda pulled the engine) Besides, I cannot be held accountable for my actions.
Old July 6th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by ah64pilot

He said: "Hey, I live on the next street over and I hear your car all the time!"
I said: "I'm sorry if it's too loud, I try not to start it up after 9pm except for weekend car shows and such."
I said: "Oh I'm so sorry, but there's not much I can do. I'll try to limit my night time driving if that helps, the last thing I want to do is **** off the neighborhood."
He said: "Oh no! You go right ahead! You crank that thing up any time you want! It pisses my wife off, NOT ME! I love it! And I love that it pisses her off too so you're good all around! By the way, what's in that thing..."

It was hilarious! Needless to say, even those you would least expect still appreciate a loud big block classic lol!
Now, that's a good neighbor!! cool story by the way.
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:22 PM

Drove my car to work recently and took a couple of friends to lunch in it. When driving out of the parking garage the "rumble" set off the alarm on a late model 'vette. We all had a good laugh.
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:31 AM

Ohhhh this is making me want to do the exhuast on the Delta, NOW!!

Might be a 307 right now, but it's still a V8 Olds and will sound GOOD! Much better than the lawnmowers racing by my apartment every night
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ah64pilot

Had similar conversations with a few of my neighbors as well. The Funny Looking Chevelle, my Cutlass, is a little quieter than the ol big block Fury was, but sounds just as awesome!
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Senior Moment Member

Good noise. Listen.
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Good noise. Listen.
B bbbbb... but, theres no engine in there!

Music, we all love that tune!

Last edited by oldcutlass; July 7th, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Well, the reason I didn't buy one was because they're defective. It seems that some of the wires are crossed, instead of deflecting, it is collecting MAW's.
Oh, my - you must have worn it pointy-side down for the funnel effect! !
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:59 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I also love the sound of an Olds in the morning.
Sometimes I do wonder if I annoy my neighbors though.
I have a 350 dual 40 series Flowmaster equiped car.
On the weekends when going to a show I sometimes start it and leave my garage as early as 6:00 AM. On cruise in nights on the weekend I sometimes arrive home as late as 2:00 am.I never throttle hard in the early or late hours,just idle it through the area.
My neighbors have never said anything and I talk to my next door neighbor all the time.The rest of the neighbors just wave and smile when they see me during normal hours.
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Oh, my - you must have worn it pointy-side down for the funnel effect! !
Now you tell me.
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Senior Moment Member

My neighbor once asked my wife when I was going to get my muffler fixed! LOL! Watch the video, it has some great sound, turn it up! BTW, my 455 is running. Should be picking it up tomorrow, can't wait! Went from a 350 to a 455. Anyone need a small block short block for free? Pick up only on the far south side of Chicago. (New Lenox area)

Last edited by z11375ss; July 7th, 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Muggles
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:20 AM

Someone needs to make a good quality, high fidelity recording for us guys without big blocks.
It would sound great through my Cerwin Vega floor speakers!
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Kind of like Nepalm.The Sound of Victory
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
My next door neighbor is always crawling up my A$$ about the noise and the negative impact I am putting on the Environment.66 Olds 330 just right and a 68 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 ..***** the size of Pickle Jars..Anyway..She just bought a Chevy Volt.78 years old.CMon.I asked her a few weeks ago if she has ever seen a Volt go up in flames? She looked at me like I would torch it .Oh I would never do anything like that..But I know for a fact that it puts off a very pretty Apricot Colored Flame ..Condominium Living..Gotta Love It..I told her ..Marsha..just dont stick your fingers in the cage..
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The 307 in my 72 right now sounds awesome i did not expect it to sound like it does. long tube headers x pipe and hooker aero chambers dumping at the rear wheels. You can still hear me 3 blocks away. I asked my girlfriend to listen for me lol. Last night i heard a chevelle with a nice sounding big block and man i makes me miss my choppy idle. Nothing beats the sound of a nice rowdy fast idle at a light.
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Tony

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Drove my car to work recently and took a couple of friends to lunch in it. When driving out of the parking garage the "rumble" set off the alarm on a late model 'vette. We all had a good laugh.
I have had the same thing happen downtown between the buildings at the stoplights flowmaster 40's do rumble and yes we laughed too!
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Someone needs to make a good quality, high fidelity recording for us guys without big blocks.
It would sound great through my Cerwin Vega floor speakers!
Alright Rob, ask and ye shall receive. I will have my engine back together in a day or so. I installed new lifters so I have to break them in again. I know it's not the typical BBO...but I'll record it with my Sony 5.1 surround video camera.

By the way, we upped the compression and fixed a few "issues" so it should sound better than it does in this video with a crummy camera:

http://youtu.be/WSwNXBWl1jM

Will that work?