General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 Cutlass Vacumm diagram

Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM

1972 Cutlass Vacumm diagram

After sitting in my garage for 12 years I'm getting it out. Already did a lot of work on it to get it street worthy but I have a few questions. Let me know if I need to separate them into individual threads.

1972 Cutlass Supreme, 350 rocket, 2 barrel, 350 turbo transmission. Has factory AC, no cruise control.

1) I'm looking for a vacuum diagram or detailed pics. I have a few ports not hooked up and need to know what to do with them. I just purchased a CD manual online but it will take a week to get to me.
2) I replaced the aftermarket Holley 4 barrel (I installed in High School in 1982) with the original 2 barrel. I have all the original brackets and such but the throttle cable seems to need 3/4 inch adjustment so the rest position of the gas pedal has the cable tight. Right now you have to push the pedal to take the slack out before gas linkage moves. I can't figure out where the adjustment is. Again it's back to original so I can't figure out why it needs adjusted anyway.
3) Power ... for a V8 it lacks power. I think some of that is because the gas pedal isn't adjusted (may not be opening the carb all the way) but I also think the vacuum line hookups need confirmed and shifting needs fine-tuned. Any suggestions on procedure or where to start?
Thanks for any help....

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
Trying to remember member

Did you mean you paid for this manual that is free on Wild About Cars?

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and a home page for you online with your own garage where you can show off what you have.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:49 AM

No .... I got the service manual. I think / hope that's different.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:42 PM

Got one out of chilton's years back... go to www.sport-pilot.us go to the oldsmobile page, and there is a link to it.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by O-H-I-O Cutlass Kid
No .... I got the service manual. I think / hope that's different.
You don't have to think/hope, you can see for yourself........
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9910340732039

If you'd just go to the site and look around, you'll find all sorts of reference material there.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
Got one out of chilton's years back... go to www.sport-pilot.us go to the oldsmobile page, and there is a link to it.
I wouldn't touch an error-prone Chilton's manual. Especially when factory manuals are available. That's why you won't find Chilton's manuals on Wild About Cars.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM

The chilton one actually worked ... and you could follow it MUCH easier... used them both by the way, before they were published on the internet!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:21 AM

Hmmmmm

I guess I did buy the manual when you have it for free on http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/. I'll keep telling myself that I have it now forever

When I looked yesterday I only saw the assembly manuals which is really good info but I wanted / needed a shop manual.

I'm going to join now....thanks

Don
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Olds service manuals 1963-1972 at http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990340731914
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by wmachine
I wouldn't touch an error-prone Chilton's manual.
+1

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Smile

Awesome ... I wish we had the internet when I was learning about cars in the early 80's. Between the wildaboutcars.com site and old post on this site I've learned or re-learned a lot of stuff. Last night I made some adjustments to the throttle, shift cable and choke. Took a whole 20 min. Night and Day difference. I still have to check the points, timing and dwell but damn the car has POWER on the low end and no black smoke.

I feel good about sending it out with my 17 yr old for prom tomorrow night. Thank God he's got a good head on his shoulders ... he drove it once without me and already had an offer to race. Uggggggg.

Don