General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Advice on 1990's Olds

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM

Angry Advice on 1990's Olds

My wife totalled our 2006 Pontiac (no one was hurt-airbags deployed), and I sold my 1965 Delta a few months back.

Now we (mainly me) are looking for an Olds.

I came across a 1990 Toronado that has a "battery drain issue". The style is unique, just not familiar with the 1990's.

We had a 1996 Cutlass wagon, that my wife killed the transmission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Torrent 1.jpg (65.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
Torrent 2.jpg (72.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by radioburningchrome; February 28th, 2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds like you're looking at a Trofeo? They are nice cars, but from what I know about them they have potentially lots of electrical issues. IIRC the entire dash and all displays are digital. I had good luck with my digital displays and my 95 Regency was a great car till it went to Olds heaven.
The Trofeo cabin is kind of like Darth Vaders fighter - lots of clutter, even on the drivers door. I don't like it. The steering wheel also looks goofy with all the buttons they stuck on it.

The driver and passenger get good seating but the rear seat might as well not be there. I looked at a Trofeo 2 years ago and after reading up the lackluster reliability, I decided to pass.

If you're looking for a really good Olds in the 90's, I highly recommend the 94-96 Regency Elite. Has plenty of power (205hp) Series 11 bomb proof engine, reliable tranny, comfy as hell, loaded with options, good fuel economy, TONS of room inside and a decent sized trunk.
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Registered

Check out the the '91-'92 Custom Cruisers.

CustomCruiser001ss.jpg

Otherwise I'd try to find something with the 3.8
I had a '96 Bonneville with a 3.8 and it was still going strong when we got rid of it with 277K on it. That was six years ago and I still see it around.
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sounds like you're looking at a Trofeo? They are nice cars, but from what I know about them they have potentially lots of electrical issues. IIRC the entire dash and all displays are digital. I had good luck with my digital displays and my 95 Regency was a great car till it went to Olds heaven.
The Trofeo cabin is kind of like Darth Vaders fighter - lots of clutter, even on the drivers door. I don't like it. The steering wheel also looks goofy with all the buttons they stuck on it.

The driver and passenger get good seating but the rear seat might as well not be there. I looked at a Trofeo 2 years ago and after reading up the lackluster reliability, I decided to pass.

If you're looking for a really good Olds in the 90's, I highly recommend the 94-96 Regency Elite. Has plenty of power (205hp) Series 11 bomb proof engine, reliable tranny, comfy as hell, loaded with options, good fuel economy, TONS of room inside and a decent sized trunk.
Thanks Allan.

With less than 1 year to go on loan payments, I will be lucky to get any cash back at all from my insurance.

Regencys are not readily available.
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Check out the the '91-'92 Custom Cruisers.

Otherwise I'd try to find something with the 3.8
I had a '96 Bonneville with a 3.8 and it was still going strong when we got rid of it with 277K on it. That was six years ago and I still see it around.
Cruiser is way too big. I like the advice on the 3.8 V6. My friend had a 1994 Olds 88 with the 3.8 and it had over 2ook miles on it. Last oil change the garage did not tighten the plug and you know the rest.
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
"me somebody" site member

Daily driver is a 1998 Intrigue. The 3800 equipped cars (built through 1999 I think) are quite reliable. The later 88's are also nice, reliable cars (always wanted to find a nice LSS myself).

I bet you could get either model for a song these days, even a well-kept example.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:31 PM

I am looking at a few 1995-6 88's. seems like the 98's are out of my price range.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:44 PM
NOVICE car nut

I'm glad everyone is alright , I've been looking for a car myself and after researching late 90's thru early 2000's , I've come to the conclusion that Pontiacs have a lot of problems ... not sure about the newer ones though.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:55 PM

I hope your wife is alright Not for nothing if your looking for a good reliable set of wheels . You can't beat a Ford Crown Victoria They run forever have plenty of room and a big trunk.Plus they have a real frame and V8 .I have a 1994 and love it
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
I hope your wife is alright Not for nothing if your looking for a good reliable set of wheels . You can't beat a Ford Crown Victoria They run forever have plenty of room and a big trunk.Plus they have a real frame and V8 .I have a 1994 and love it
Trying to avoid the V8. Newer than 1990 and with an airbag.
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
My wife totalled our 2006 Pontiac (no one was hurt-airbags deployed), and I sold my 1965 Delta a few months back.

Now we (mainly me) are looking for an Olds.

I came across a 1990 Toronado that has a "battery drain issue". The style is unique, just not familiar with the 1990's.
It sounds like airbags saved your wife (and others?) from injury and possibly worse. Keep in mind that it was only 1998 that airbags became mandatory in cars sold in the U.S. I don't know in what year airbags became standard equipment in Oldsmobiles, but you might want to check and make sure that any older Olds you're considering has them.

Also remember that, even if your '90s-era Oldsmobile has airbags, they're not going to be the later-generation, lower-force, etc. airbags of today and that were in your '06 Pontiac.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun with old cars. That's what we all do on here. But the vehicle that you use as your daily driver, and the vehicle that you entrust to protect your wife and family on a daily basis, is an altogether different consideration. Just something to keep in mind, in my opinion, as you search for replacement family transportation.
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

With less than 1 year to go on loan payments, I will be lucky to get any cash back at all from my insurance.

Regencys are not readily available.
Ouch!
Just my opinion but the 3800 Series 2 and Series 3 are better than the series 1. I only mentioned Regency because I'm so partial to big cars. There are lots of Olds 88s and Buick Regals (another really good choice BTW) on the market. I had over 300k on mine and it still ran just fine when I crushed it. (rusted out)
FWIW, I hope the ins gives you the best value for the van. Just out of curiosity, how the heck did she manage to find the only street where power poles were 'in season'?
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It sounds like airbags saved your wife (and others?) from injury and possibly worse. Keep in mind that it was only 1998 that airbags became mandatory in cars sold in the U.S. I don't know in what year airbags became standard equipment in Oldsmobiles, but you might want to check and make sure that any older Olds you're considering has them.

Also remember that, even if your '90s-era Oldsmobile has airbags, they're not going to be the later-generation, lower-force, etc. airbags of today and that were in your '06 Pontiac.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun with old cars. That's what we all do on here. But the vehicle that you use as your daily driver, and the vehicle that you entrust to protect your wife and family on a daily basis, is an altogether different consideration. Just something to keep in mind, in my opinion, as you search for replacement family transportation.
Understood.

The wallet is the supreme deciding factor.
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:28 PM

Ouch!
Just out of curiosity, how the heck did she manage to find the only street where power poles were 'in season'?
I asked her (and myself) that same question.

She swerved to avoid a vehicle that went through a stop sign.

Which would be better : another car or pole?

Just glad no one was hurt.
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM

We have a '97 LSS (based on the 88) which has been a great car. I'd prefer the supercharged motor in these cars because the intake is metal. The intakes on the 3.8 are 2 piece plastic and are notorious for gasket problems from the Dexron coolant. If you get this motor in anything flush out the Dexron, and go with the yellow Prestone. Good luck on your car search.
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Which would be better : another car or pole? Just glad no one was hurt.
X2.BTW from the pics it looks like that Pontiac was in pristine condition. You obviously care for your vehicles.
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM

If you're looking for a reliable, solid driver, it may be best to commit heresy and get a Toyota/Honda/Subaru(if you live in the great white north). Plenty of them available, and they are quite reliable and efficient.
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
We have a '97 LSS (based on the 88) which has been a great car. I'd prefer the supercharged motor in these cars because the intake is metal. The intakes on the 3.8 are 2 piece plastic and are notorious for gasket problems from the Dexron coolant. If you get this motor in anything flush out the Dexron, and go with the yellow Prestone. Good luck on your car search.
Thanks for the invaluable info!
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:10 PM

X2.BTW from the pics it looks like that Pontiac was in pristine condition. You obviously care for your vehicles.

Car got hand waxed by me at least 2x a year. Washed every month, sometimes once a week!

It was my first new car and most likely my last.

In 52,xxx miles and 6 years, only major work was the front brakes changed one time and put new Pirelli tires on because I did not like the factory Firestones.
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jetstar 88
If you're looking for a reliable, solid driver, it may be best to commit heresy and get a Toyota/Honda/Subaru(if you live in the great white north). Plenty of them available, and they are quite reliable and efficient.
Most if not all foreign cars are uncomfortable to me on drives over 1 hour.

I prefer to drive American cars and be comfortable.
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Most if not all foreign cars are uncomfortable to me on drives over 1 hour. I prefer to drive American cars and be comfortable.
Actually I thought that would be the case too. But 2 years ago I bought a Sonata Limited (3.3 V6) Leather, loaded to the nutz.

I've used it on several long distance trips. My impression is that it has great handling and visibility, and is like driving your leather couch down the road. Very comfy! It outperformed my 95 Regency for comfort, quiet, and power. Not quite as fuel efficient (but only by inches...) I got a hell of deal on it then. I could likely sell it today for close to what I bought it for.

I'm not really a big fan of the Nissans, Toyotas, Subarus etc because the used car market up here expects darn close to new car pricing for a 3-4 year old car. Hyundai by comparison doesn't hold its value well, but puts out a really strong product and warranty. If you plan to keep your car for a long while (as I typically do) a used Hyundai will cost way less and will last as long for less $$$. If you want to try a really nice one? Look at the used market for a 2006-2007 Azera. You'll be surprised at the quality and the good used pricing.

Then again, if I had to choose the N.A. product? Likely would be a Buick. Just that you pay a lot more for supporting GM and their franchises.

Last edited by Allan R; March 1st, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:55 PM

Then again, if I had to choose the N.A. product? Likely would be a Buick. Just that you pay a lot more for supporting GM and their franchises.

Would that be new or used?

I have decided to hunt for a 95-99 GM used car. With my wife working in town (part-time), she suggested she could walk the 10-15 minutes to work. I would pick her up after.

As long as the weather is fine, this is music to my ears!
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM

It will be years until we will be able to afford a decent, newer (2006+) car.

Finances are tight, and I know we are not the only ones.
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Would that be new or used? I have decided to hunt for a 95-99 GM used car.
Used. New car depreciation is killer, and so is financing/insurance. You can always score a private deal and detail / clean the car to your satisfaction after. Just find someone who actually has maintained their car and has mtce receipts. Keep in mind that unless you are in a 'hostage taking situation' with the car? You can afford to search / play the market. What kind of budget are you looking at? There are a lot of good deals to be had in the year ranges you specified.
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=Bluevista;377084]Check out the the '91-'92 Custom Cruisers.

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/amh555/CustomCruiser

X2!! Best daily car I've ever owned....
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM

Take a nice vacation to one of the sunbelt states, and shop for a car in your budget. There's plenty of choices in your price range minus the rust, then drive it back to PA.
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM

Its an easy fix, i changed my leaking plastic gaskets with updated GM metal ones on my 99 Monte Carlo Z34. I love the 3800!
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:06 AM

Keep in mind that unless you are in a 'hostage taking situation' with the car? You can afford to search / play the market. What kind of budget are you looking at? There are a lot of good deals to be had in the year ranges you specified.
LOL "hostage taking situation"!

We are going to be cool and calm looking for a car and taking time.

I found a 1999 olds 88 that has only 21k miles for around $3k.

Waiting for the insurance company to give the estimate/final offer.

Current budget is $1k
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:08 AM

Take a nice vacation to one of the sunbelt states, and shop for a car in your budget. There's plenty of choices in your price range minus the rust, then drive it back to PA.

We need to get there first!

BTW, what is a "vacation"?