General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rims - Powdercoat or Paint??

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Cutlass Lover

Rims - Powdercoat or Paint??

Ok.... Girl questions, lol! I need your advice!! These rims I have, should I have them painted, or powder coated?? I don't know much about this stuff, ya know?

Is powder coating in colors, shiny or dull? Do they spray clear over it?? Can you wax it, or how do you keep it looking nice? It doesn't chip as fast as paint?

You know I like shiny!

I suppose I should have asked the guy I talked to today at a powder coating place I called, but I wanted to ask you guys first. He told me if I go by car color, it would probably cost me around $1000. He said they have lots of colors I can go and look at, and see if one comes close to Teepo's color.

So what would you all suggest? Thanks guys!
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Ok.... Girl questions, lol! I need your advice!! These rims I have, should I have them painted, or powder coated?? I don't know much about this stuff, ya know?

Is powder coating in colors, shiny or dull? Do they spray clear over it?? Can you wax it, or how do you keep it looking nice? It doesn't chip as fast as paint?

You know I like shiny!

I suppose I should have asked the guy I talked to today at a powder coating place I called, but I wanted to ask you guys first. He told me if I go by car color, it would probably cost me around $1000. He said they have lots of colors I can go and look at, and see if one comes close to Teepo's color.

So what would you all suggest? Thanks guys!
It's kind of a personal thing Sandy. The wheels were painted from the factory, not powder coated. Talk to Rob, he had Lady's wheels powder coated IIRC

Yes, you can get powder coating in almost any color you want. It is usually high gloss finish and doesn't need the maintenance that paint does. It is a very durable surface and is much less prone to chipping than paint.

Yikes, are you serious? For 4 wheels? Run away - that's just too much money. I might be willing to pay around 80.00 / wheel. There are tons of powder coating places, so if one is telling you 1000.00 you should definitely get a 2nd and 3rd opinion at different places.
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM

way too much money. I powder coated mine with a dark argent and then misted it with the SSII paint from Supercars Unlimited toi give it a flatter look. I like how mine came out, a bit on the dark side but I have seen supposed original rims from very light to very very dark argent
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Powdercoating is a great process that provides a durable, long lasting finish to many of the components on your show car, and can often look very similar to the finishes that your car came with from the factory. However, the process is essentially plastic powder that is melted onto your part. Plastic is UV sensitive and as a result will fade and dull with continued exposure to sunlight. The finish will continue to protect the metal underneath, but the cosmetic appearance will deteriorate over exposure/time. Most folks limit their powdered components to frame/chassis, engine brackets, core supports and such. These components get very limited exposure and tend to have a longer duration. I am sure that the technology used to create materials for powdercoating has advanced since its inception, and that the manufacturers of these products are working hard to make them more durable and less color limited every year. You need to ask yourself how many major automobile manufacturers have started using this process on the exteriors of their cars? $1000 for four "14 wheels?.............I will continue to use my polyurethane! Best wishes in whatever decision you make, I'm happy that you enjoy and share your car as much as possible.
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Is powder coating in colors, shiny or dull?
Either. They have flat and gloss.

Do they spray clear over it??

You know I like shiny!
I like shiney, too! Beer cans, fishing lures, UFOs, bass boats, cars, women.........

They can clear coat for extra gloss, but you really do not wan tthe wheels shinier than the body - it would look odd.

Can you wax it, or how do you keep it looking nice? It doesn't chip as fast as paint?
No wax is needed. Just wash with regular soap and brush with a soft brush. Powdercoat is plastic dust that is held onto your part with static electricity and is melted into a plastic coating inside an oven.
Very durable. It will chip, but not as easy as with paint.

He told me if I go by car color, it would probably cost me around $1000. He said they have lots of colors I can go and look at, and see if one comes close to Teepo's color.
RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!!
A thousand? Even a custom color would not some down to that! I can see some gender biasing here, OR your job is not worth much to them.
Call around. I got a huge price swing.
I paid 60 a wheel with an in-stock color and that included sandblasting and tax! Also, white on front, semigloss black on the back per factory!
I think 100 a wheel with blasting and in stock color is fair.

See if you can find a very similar in-stock color in their color chart and have them bake a small sample for you. Then compare with your car color. Since the wheels are away from the body, a slight difference may not be noticable.

Here is my wheel thread:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...finishing.html
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Personally I like powder coating but that isn't a cheap way to go. Pending on the color (regular or wrinkel finish) you can wax it up and take care of it like regular paint. The place I go around here is about 60 to 70 a 14 inch wheel for powdercoat. Idk where 1000 bucks came from
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM

$1K?? I wonder if those creeps have "female" pricing...
Dirtbags....

Good thing you came here first Cutlassgal...
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
Dirtbags....
Well put.
I got gloss black for $50 a wheel, just to give you an idea.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Send your ol man there to beat $800 out of them then give them $200 to powder coat the wheels
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
way too much money. I powder coated mine with a dark argent and then misted it with the SSII paint from Supercars Unlimited toi give it a flatter look. I like how mine came out, a bit on the dark side but I have seen supposed original rims from very light to very very dark argent
Steven do you have a picture of those powdercoated wheels?
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info!! He told me $1000 to match the car's factory color, but $75/rim to powdercoat with one of the colors he has there, and $30/rim to sandblast. So about $105 a rim.

His website is: http://ohiopowdercoat.com/

Look him up. Then one of you call him and get a price and we'll see if it varies, lol!
He was a real nice guy, named Larry.

There is one other place here in Twinsburg that I'm gonna call today if I get a chance and see what they say.... if they even do rims. I don't know. This is their web site:

http://www.nationalpowdercoating.com/

I expected to spend at least $100 a rim. I don't know. I'll keep looking.
Old September 13th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Registered car nut

My luck with powdercoating was so/so. My wife wanted to keep her Volvo hub caps so we went with the factory wheels and she picked out a color and sent the spare in for a test. Good thing! They did not bother to tell me the process they used lodged abrasives in the space between the wheel center and the rim (hoop) was not happy. Spent over double, from 30.00 ea. to 70.00 ea. and they were much better but you can still see a little bit of sand(?) in that area. Maybe other places have better prep?
I did not want to run rings but might now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CRAP.jpg (18.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg
Picture%20008.jpg (55.6 KB, 50 views)
Old September 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Registered car nut

Picture is of the poorly done one. Next time I'll paint.
Old September 13th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wow! I would not like that!!
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM

I think they could have got the sand out better than that. Mine were okay.
Whether paint or powder, I still think sandblasting is the easiest and fastest way to rid the old paint due to all the tiny crevasses you cannot sand. Chemical stripper would work I suppose.
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM

I had some factory aluminum rims powder coated. I was very happy with the durability. I had that vehichle for 5 years and never once saw a sign of UV breakdown. They were clear coated and possibly had something to do with it. Brake dust is a killer on powder coat unless you have them cleared.

I seem to recall paying $75 a rim for sand blast, base color and clear coat.

I also have rims that i have blasted and painted.

Having done both my personal choice is paint.

Paint is slightly cheaper but not in all cases, anyone bought any paint with red in it lately?

The painted wheel is much easier to touch up if you have an issue. Powder coat is tough stuff but once it gets scratched its an eye sore.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Registered car nut

To be fair my pictured wheel was done at a industrial tire shop for semi's.
They tumbled the 1st wheel at that partly lodged the media in the crevis.
The rest were sand blasted which were much better but not as nice as I'd like. I think they could have picked out the sand?
Better shop would likely produce better quality.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
Steven do you have a picture of those powdercoated wheels?

Yes, I'll post some tonight
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:16 PM

Think I'd stick with paint color matched to the car. As for durability, depends on what type of paint. Newer 2 part base/clear urethanes are quite soft, and much more durable than older laquer's. Laquers are nearly glass hard, and easily chip.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:32 PM

Pay for blasting and powdercoating if you want them to look the best for the longest.

Unless your car is stored indoors 24/7.

My powdercoater just did his 68 Hurst Olds rims and they look awesome powdercoated.