General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Eastwood Tumblers

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Eastwood Tumblers

hey gang,

I'm thinking about getting a tumbler unit from Eastwood. Have any of you used one of these? I think it would be great for nuts and bolts and little hardware but I've never known anybody to own one. They're a little pricey in my opinion but could be a real time saver and be great for restorations. Let me know what you guys think.

thanks!
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Oldsdruid

Harbor Freight has them for way less than Eastwood and they have about any type of cutter chips you could want. I've been thinking about getting one. I have one of their small ultrasonic cleaners and the thing works well- as well as the high-dollar one we use at work, and probably made by same company.
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. Harbor Freight is way less expensive. I should definitely look at HF for tools before going to my usual sources. Now to decide which of the ones they sell is right for me. I really just need to do nuts and bolts, small brackets, etc. I might be able to get away with the smaller, $45 unit.

thanks Raider!

PS....do you have any pictures of your '76 Ninety Eight?
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:15 AM

The small Harbour Freight one will do nuts,bolts and small brackets.Purchase the extended warranty.[Mine vibrated apart sometime during the third use.]
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Good to know..thanks Bunser!
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Look on evilbay for rock tumblers. You can probably get a working 1 for less than even H.F. Just add your own compound.
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:54 AM

So I've been doing some shopping around and Harbor Freight and ebay do seem to have some pretty good deals...better than Eastwood for sure.

Do any of you guys actually use tumblers for nuts, bolts, small hardware, etc? I'd like some feedback from people using them for the same purpose I would be as most of the feedback I read is for people using them for reloading guns! I'm looking at a 5lb unit which I think would do the job for most of what I need to do.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
So I've been doing some shopping around and Harbor Freight and ebay do seem to have some pretty good deals...better than Eastwood for sure.

Do any of you guys actually use tumblers for nuts, bolts, small hardware, etc? I'd like some feedback from people using them for the same purpose I would be as most of the feedback I read is for people using them for reloading guns! I'm looking at a 5lb unit which I think would do the job for most of what I need to do.
I bought Harbor Freight's pressure sand blaster on sale for $120.00.
It is identical to the one Eastwood sells for $179.00.
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:39 AM

I ended up going with this one. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews and for the small items I'm planning on using it for, I think it will do the job just fine. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I should have it any day and plan on using it immediately after opening it as I have a few things that are kind of on hold right now.

John

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-me...ler-67617.html
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by Bunser
The small Harbour Freight one will do nuts,bolts and small brackets.Purchase the extended warranty.[Mine vibrated apart sometime during the third use.]
probably a stupid question but what kind of media do u want to use in the tumbler to clean rusted iteams (bolts, nuts and brackets) is there a chart or something that tell you what u use with what? and where do u get the media at?

thanks
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Never a stupid question on here (unless somebody asks what everybody's favorite brand of car is!

You can view the manual for the tumbler right on HF's site...here's the link:
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/67617.pdf

I ordered this media based on the chart in the manual:
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lbs-r...dia-93832.html

I think it should do the job.....now this may actually be a stupid question but those images are bigtime magnified right??? LOL

I didn't go with an extended warranty...for one, I didn't see one offered, secondly I got the unit for $45 and I'll probably go over it with some thread lock before getting started...just to help keep it solid.