General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1968 442 turn signal flasher

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Angry 1968 442 turn signal flasher

new here. hello everyone. i have a 1968 442 convertible. this car is somewhat a survivor and have not had many things apart. so the turn signal flasher quit working. i think its the flasher and not the switch, but not totally sure. i know the general area , but where is that pesky flasher thing. it seems to be hidden deep under there. it won't make that sound so its hard to locate. i see the flasher for the hazard lights but not the turn signal one. thanks for any advice given.
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Look under the dash driver side, left of the steering colume.
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
Look under the dash driver side, left of the steering colume.
You will most likely have to lay down on the floor to see way up in there...
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM

still no luck finding the turn signal flasher. will it be mounted to something? does it look the same as the hazard flasher? when i do find it where is a good place to get one. thanks
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Oldsdruid

It will look identical to the 4-way flasher. It may still be in its mounting clip. Feel around underneath the bottom edge of the dash and my guess is you'll find it. Warning- sometimes that clip has sharp edges.

But let's go a little deeper here. Have all turn signals stopped working, or just on one side with a steady glowing indicator light? If it's doing that, check for a burned out lamp. Sometimes the 4-way will flash the lights even with one burned out.
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cargo442
still no luck finding the turn signal flasher. will it be mounted to something? does it look the same as the hazard flasher? when i do find it where is a good place to get one. thanks
Mine isn't mounted to anything; just part of a bundle of wires above the kick panel. I had to change it recently and it was tough to reach.

And yes, it should be the exact same flasher. If worse comes to worst, you can swap the hazard flasher for the turn signal until you can find a permanent replacement.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:26 AM

i have had this car for 18 years and all the turn signal flashers just stopped working a month ago. i think it just finally gave out. i will look harder very soon. hope i can locate the darn thing. is it easy to find a new flasher? haven't even checked yet. thanks again.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:50 AM

There is a clip, screwed to the side of the dash panel on the left side of the steering column and above the lower shelf of the dash. The screw should be visible from underneath...The flasher is pulled out of the clip to replace...what if the plug for the flasher fell off?? just push it back on...If a new one is required, try to get an electronic one...
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
bil

I can't remember back to my 68,but some had the flasher on the fuse block.Usually it was as above,on a clip by the column.if someone has changed it,they may not have reclipped it,it can be a PITA.It is about 1 1/2 "around,and maybe 2" long.Get one at your nearest parts supply.If the flashers work,turn then on-then see what is clicking.That is NOT your blinker flasher.Look for another that looks like it. ---bil

http://compare.ebay.com/1968-68-olds...e/360289925731

There is also a complete wiring diagram book for the 68 there-buy it now price 5.99. I would invest in it,as if the flasher is giving you trouble,there may at some time in the future a need for it. ---bil

Last edited by bil; September 2nd, 2010 at 05:07 AM. Reason: added link
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM

thanks for everyones help. once i found it and replaced the flasher it worked great. the next day it quit again. well after much trial and error the problem was the fuse. the fuse looked perfect but the bar on the inside the solder joint came loose and only made contact sometimes. replaced it and now works great. anyone ever hear of that problem, first for me. also put the flasher back into the original holder that was mentioned in the thread. thanks again.
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Cheeze burger, fries and a vanilla shake...
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by cargo442
thanks for everyones help. once i found it and replaced the flasher it worked great. the next day it quit again. well after much trial and error the problem was the fuse. the fuse looked perfect but the bar on the inside the solder joint came loose and only made contact sometimes. replaced it and now works great. anyone ever hear of that problem, first for me.
Starting to become a common problem over age...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post185782

Glad it is fixed!
Do get an assortment of fuses and keep in the glove box in case another one does the same thing.