General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What are your plans for your Oldsmobile(s) after you're gone?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 07:57 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Hopefully my cars will stay in the Family to be enjoyed by loved ones
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I know what you mean (the kids part, not the turning 60 part, yet!), but you have to understand the kids. You're interested in Oldsmobiles because they were part of YOUR youth. There is no reason to expect your children to share an interest in something that was of interest to you when you were growing up. They'll have their own interests.

My three children, who are now all in their 20s, perfectly well understand why I like my old Oldsmobiles, but they certainly have little interest in them themselves, and there's no reason they should. When my son, who is now 25, turns 50, he might be interested in the cars of his teenage years, which were the cars of the 1990s and 2000s. But he probably won't be interested in the cars of MY teenage years any more than I'm interested in the cars of my father's teenage years. My father, who turns 80 in a few weeks, loves to talk about the cars of the '30s that he was driving around in high school in the late 40s and in college in the '50s. I like those stories, but I don't have as much interest in those cars.
This is extremely true. I'm 28 and a huge fan of the 73-90 cars.
Every now and then, I'll see something older that catches my fancy, but Wouldn't like it as much.

Tacky stripes, 2 tone paint, 70's and 80's funnycar paint schemes. Raked rears, real hood scoops, etc etc. I LOVE all of those things.

50's cars all bubbled and with chrome all over everything.... I don't like.
But my dad raves about his 50's cars. He can keep em' They're too slow.
I do love how beautiful and thick their sheetmetal is though.
Try hammer and dollying a new car and it rips like paper if you're not paying attention.
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:02 AM

'Keep it in the Family' is our motto, and they all seem to share my passion for the Cutlass. I'm teaching my son how to do his own work so he can carry on the tradition and keep it running long into the future. Hopefully, it will always remind them of all the swap meets, car shows, junk yards and occasional overdrawn bank account it took to put the car together. I guess it will be my lasting legacy to them.
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:12 AM

WELL!!

Seems like I'm luckier than most of you guys & I'm also at an age where the subject is a cause for thought. I live in Germany & my grandson (19)has (thanks to a great measure to yours truly!) picked up an affinity for cars in general & especially US cars!
He's an apprentice @ a car dealer & cars are probably the single most important thing in his life! He "grew up" w/ the Camaro & knows the whole story behind the Olds.
I feel quite comfortable that he'll take care of the Olds as long as he's financially able. Not at all worried about the Camaro- not only did the grandson "grow up" w/ the Camaro, it was my wife's wedding present! So, when I'm gone, there are 2 that absolutely NOT allow anyone to mess w/ it!

Ralph
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:17 AM

Crusher, at times I want to drive it to the crusher myself and be the on who pushes the crush button.
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I'm glad to see others are in the same fix. I've been hoping one of my nephews would take an interest, but that doesn't seem to be working. I'm a dreamer. I'm hoping that in the end I can give it to someone who deserves it like in the ending of Clint Eastwood's movie, "Gran Torino."
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by nelsontj
I'm glad to see others are in the same fix. I've been hoping one of my nephews would take an interest, but that doesn't seem to be working. I'm a dreamer. I'm hoping that in the end I can give it to someone who deserves it like in the ending of Clint Eastwood's movie, "Gran Torino."
that's the trick - someone deserving who is into it like we are

ya'll better start treating me better hahaha
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM

My wife and I have been discussing this a bit since we have been working on our will (we are in our 30's). If I were to go before my son is old enough (he is 3 now), my wife knows that she is to keep the cars and maintain/restore them for him when he is old enough. If my wife and I both were to go, there is money in the will to maintain/restore the cars for him. If, God forbid, something were to happen to all of us, my parents get the cars - the key is that they need to stay in the family (my grandparents bought the cars originally)

Brian
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Registered Abuser

I was thinking of something along these lines.....

Per request, 90-year-old Lonnie Holloway was buried on Tuesday in the front seat of his 1973 Pontiac Catalina. The unusual service, which took place at Rock Hill Baptist Church in Saluda, South Carolina, also included Holloway’s hunting guns, placed in the trunk, and some extra cash – a $100 dollar bill placed in his pocket. Apparently this was the final wish of Holloway, who had died a week earlier on September 3.

Apparently Lonnie Holloway was known around town as the kind of guy to be “stylin’ and profilin’”, or at least according to his cousin Leila Dunn. Another cousin, Johnny McCloud, said, “He was a unique individual. He said when he died, he didn’t want to leave his guns here because somebody might take them and shoot somebody, so he took them with him.”

The pastor at the service had this to say: “This day will be burned in our memories for years and years to come because ‘us’ ain’t never seen nothing like this before.” The hundreds in attendance responded, “Amen.”

After Lonnie and his ‘73 Catalina had been buried, a concrete slab was put atop the grave site to keep looters away from the guns or the car.

There is a vid on the other side of this link.

http://www.manolith.com/2009/09/09/9...-and-profilin/
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM

Sell them to someone who shares your enthusiasm with those cars.

Spend the money on something like a trip to Europe or something you've
never done you always wanted to do. Make a bucket list and do it.
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Official Tire Kicker

My son (10) says that he wants my car.....so he can sell it!! I told him I would never give it to him. Maybe with time and age he will understand what it is and change my mind. I can only hope.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 09:57 AM

I heard of this old woman who liked her car so much she was buried in it. Not sure if she had a full tank and was planning to drive to heaven.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 12:31 PM

not sure whats gonna happen to my stuff since i dont have a wife or kids. But i am only 37. all I know is that the only thing i have left from my stolen 88 CSC is the keys. They go with me in the casket so i can pick it up, rust free, at the pearly gates.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
This is a good question for sure. I wonder what's going to happen to all the great cars of the 50's through the 70's in about 20 years?
i think that era of cars is the safest of them all. they hold such a legacy past the generations that grew up with them.. the cars of the 20s and 30s and 40s are the ones that may become stationary, unsellable pieces.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:19 PM

Man, this is a old thread and a couple of people who posted here have had the reality of this problem happening (RIP citycapp) .

Not all the members of my family will be happy with my plans, kinda the opposite of many who have posted with no one having a interest in their car, with mine they all want it but only one has the resources or ambition to keep it up in the same way as I would. I'm sure he will love it as much as I.

My advise is set it up in your trust (or will) the way you want it, get it down on paper then have your lawyer look it over. If finances or people change have it amended and press on. It's doubtful if someone isn't worthy now they probably won't be after your demise.... Just a thought or two.... Tedd
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I hope I have the good sense to realize when I am too old to drive it. At that point I will sell it.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:38 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Either I'll sell it to a younger enthusiast or donate it to the REO Museum. Either way, I hope to see all of you at the Heavenly Oldsmobile Diner. My treat!
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I hope I have the good sense to realize when I am too old to drive it. At that point I will sell it.
Theres always driving Mr Daisy. Get a chauffeur...

I have no plans, whatever happens to it happens.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 02:43 PM

Well I'm on the young side here, (26), but if I came down with a terminally ill disease and I knew I was at the end of the line, I'd probably drive through the local voc. school, drive through the parking lot, look for someone who's clearly driving a work in progress car, leave a note for him to call me, and sign the car over?

Why, you ask? Because none of my family members know how to take care of cars. And I really wanted an A body Cutlass in highschool, and I saved everything I made while working two jobs and couldn't get it until I was in college. And that always sort of bothered me. So I'd change a random strangers life, so he could have a nice car in HS. Although, mines only a 72, low compression 350 Cutlass. Great car for a kid in high school. It's not fast enough to do real burnouts, or fast enought to get into trouble with.
Old January 26th, 2017, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by jpc647
Well I'm on the young side here, (26), but if I came down with a terminally ill disease and I knew I was at the end of the line, I'd probably drive through the local voc. school, drive through the parking lot, look for someone who's clearly driving a work in progress car, leave a note for him to call me, and sign the car over?
That's a very touching idea.

As for me, I have two boys. They'll each get one of my cars as their first. That's what my dad did for my brother, sister and I. Then my boys will have to fight over the rest because I never sell anything.
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Forward into the Past

Well, I've got to get my hands on the damn thing first. Only been waiting 39 years to do that!. But once I have it, I plan to enjoy it for as long as I can and then I'll sell it. By then, I'll probably be needing the cash, anyway.

Seriously, this has been on my mind of late as well. 53, no kids, and we just went through this with my parents this summer as they downsized into an apartment at a retirement community. Dad's collections--cars & parts, toy trains and cars, art glass, etc. was the biggest pain about the whole thing.
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:16 AM

I am thinking about leaving it to Joe Padavano. He needs a 98 in his stable.
Old January 28th, 2017, 05:39 PM

My oldest daughter looks at my museum quality restoration on my rare F-85 W31 and sees $$$$. My only grandsons from her could care less and also sees $$$$. My youngest daughter is not like that, but lives in a world of her own and would not have the funds or knowledge to care for the car.

So I have donated it to the RE Olds Museum. I talked to the curator three years ago and he said send me a copy of my will and he would send me a letter stating they would never sell my car due to its level of restoration and rarity, plus they want to display one of each W machine models built. They already have a special room they built two years ago to accommodate the W cars. I feel really good that they have accepted my car and I feel I am doing the right thing to preserve the car, and the $105,000 in parts and labor that I have in the car.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by davebw31
My oldest daughter looks at my museum quality restoration on my rare F-85 W31 and sees $$$$. My only grandsons from her could care less and also sees $$$$. My youngest daughter is not like that, but lives in a world of her own and would not have the funds or knowledge to care for the car.

So I have donated it to the RE Olds Museum. I talked to the curator three years ago and he said send me a copy of my will and he would send me a letter stating they would never sell my car due to its level of restoration and rarity, plus they want to display one of each W machine models built. They already have a special room they built two years ago to accommodate the W cars. I feel really good that they have accepted my car and I feel I am doing the right thing to preserve the car, and the $105,000 in parts and labor that I have in the car.
That's an awesome story. Congrats on getting accepted into the Museum.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Bury me in it and spend the casket fund on a massive kegger.
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:05 PM

If you donate it to the Oldsmobile museum, you might want to put a stipulation that they can't sell it without your heirs permission. My Turquoise 1967 98 was bought on ebay from a car museum about 40 miles away. It was hit on the drivers side. Damage started at the end of the front fender both doors into the rear quarter panel. The story I pieced together was the original owner that caused the damage donated it to the museum. I think he thought they were going to fix it and keep it in the museum. Wrong, the museum owner ebay'd it. It was a well taken care of 75k milage. It wasn't a show piece but he kept it up. It was to solid and ran to good to part out so it became one of my money pits. It ran good but the 4 barrel wouldn't open. I noticed a bump under the carpet stopping the gas pedal. Under the carpet was a golf ball as a pedal stop. Hmmm, he must have had a Son. This was 15 years ago. I started watching this museum for a couple years and he sold quite a few cars. Just something to think about.
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i am not worried about what happens to my cars after i am gone. they may live longer than me but at least i get to meet Jesus and the cars don't. i told my wife to contact a friend of mine and he will sell them for what he can get and all the parts. when it comes down to it i bet she will not sell the Rallye 350 because of it being mine but she can't even drive a 4 speed so it will just sit there.
Her boyfriend has no issues banging gears, your covered
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:39 PM

Kennybill: My car is NOT damaged nor is it a driver. The RE Olds Museum is NOT a private museum. It is held in trust with a board of directors. If you saw my car you would understand WHY they would not sell it!
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:37 PM

Most museums have a policy that you cannot limit them in any way when you donate something. They may even make you sign an acknowledgement of this fact before they'll accept your donation. Museums sell parts of their collections all the time in order to finance new purchases. But of course, the more desirable your car, the less likely that will happen. Still, there are things beyond your control, like the museum going bankrupt and being forced to sell parts of its collection to stay open and/or pay off creditors.

If you really want to retain control of your donation, you have to loan the item to them instead. For example, to protect your car after death you could set up a trust which owns your car but loans it to the museum for as long as the museum exists, You would also specify what the trust is to do with the car if the museum either goes bankrupt or decides they no longer want your loan.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stefano
LMAO

That sounds like my buddy who is building a "never done" Street Rod project. Another friend of ours told him, your wife's boyfriend is going to look really good driving that thing.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stefano
lol, Made that post a log time ago. Rallye 350 is gone now so no worries. I told her that both Jetfire need to go if I kick the bucket because she would never be able to keep them running long term. Told her to sell them while they would be in a working condition. If I kick the bucket she will call a friend and have him sell off everything for a good commission.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:36 AM

Daveb31: I get Hemmings, I've seen your car. I was talking about my experience with a museum. I visited the Oldsmobile museum once about 15 years ago. We got there around 1pm and were there 2 hours. One other couple came in before we left. I have a Son 40, he's not interested in older cars and neither is my Daughter. I get heat for saying this, "younger people are not interested in older cars." Yes, there's always an exception. So say in 25 years, the attendance falls off at the Oldsmobile museum. The "Board" is facing a money problem. They need X amount of money. Choice A, sell off 15 cars and have 15 empty spaces and make 15 families mad or Choice B, sell off one high dollar car and have one empty space and maybe make one family mad. All this is hypothetical and just my opinion. By the way, I'm planning on visiting Lansing this year. I wasn't trying to hit a hornets nest but one can't predict the future.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by nelsontj
That's my plan also. Not just for my cars but all assets and property.

There will be a few surprised people who may not even know why I chose them.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:43 PM

My kids get my cars, my wife would only sell them , and probably a bargain for someone . I have no control as to what they do with them when I am gone , but I would not want anyone else to have them. I have always tried to teach them family first , hobbies second , sell them if it will make your life better , if not think of me when you are able to enjoy them .
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
serious question. I am 51 have no kids, no nieces / nephews interested in the hobby.

I really do care what happens to them (make sure siblings do not get ahold of anything)

any suggestions?
I told the wife I want to be buried in my car ! There is one problem I have Four cars and she doesn't know which one I meant!
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:07 AM

I have two sons and two cars. Each gets an Olds. I dont care what they do with them when Im gone. Sell em, drive em, look at em. Dont matter to me. They are just old cars, not something that needs to be donated to a museum to collect dust and never run again. Odds are Im not done buying cars so there will be a few more they will inherit.

Both my sons love cars, Ive hauled them both around as soon as they could sit in a booster seat. Car shows, swap meets, etc. They love it because I got them involved early.

eyeson_zpsmbuyh2cp.jpg
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Kjr442

My kids

I have two kids, both grown. I have more then enough cars to go around. Lol truth is, there will only be two cars out of my mix that my kids will want. The 72 442 ,, they grew up with it, and my 65 club coupe 442.
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Photoshop God

Get a will if you don't have one, update it if it needs to be.

Mine will most likely be going to my son since, without him I wouldn't have started the resto and wouldn't be able to do all the work to finish it. He's more into cars than I am I think. Or to my wife with the understanding that he gets it with compensation to her if need be. I have to figure out how to make fair with my daughter. The other things is what to do with dad's Vette and Grandpa's 66 230sl if I inherit them.

A serious note to those of you who re-marry. My cousins father had a lot of valuable photo equipment and photos that he had taken. He had given one of my cousins some of his equipment long before he passed away. After he died his not at all second wife took the gear back from my cousin as well as all of is gear and family things and sold or kept them. I know he would have never believed that she would have done that or he would have taken measures.
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Pat

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Remember the RE Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing. ANY of your cars would be a welcome addition to their display. The AACA Museum in Hershey would be a good option too, but I know that sometimes they sell off some of their cars when they get "over-inventoried".

I know that Sharon agonized over what to do with Joe's cars. She knew she couldn't keep them all, but looks like the Toronado found a good home.

I'm in much the same situation. I really have no one to leave anything to though I am going to make sure some of the family antiques pass down to new generations. One friend has spoken for the Starfires and parts, another will get the Hurst/Olds, and hopefully they'll keep them around and remember me for a while. I really do not know what will happen to the Ninety Eight and the Toronado. I haven't looked that far ahead. I need to.
Glenn,

I would love to have your "1976 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency"!

I would keep it as a memory of you, you have been a great friend over the past 35+ Years!
Old May 16th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Lansing built

I guess that both of the step kids will get one car each (I don't have any kids myself) They will keep them out of respect for me. The boy is no brainer, he has judged with me a few times at various nationals.

Or it maybe cheaper than coffin, in another 2 to 3 decades when I go.

Pat
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:14 PM

Don't know, and I am not too concerned with the car. I have no kids and no one to leave it to. Hopefully I will recognize when I have become too old and sell it to someone that will appreciate it. Anyone that pays what these cars are worth today will probably treat it well and appreciate it.

I will tell you a cautionary tale, to those that leave cars and parts and do not get rid of them while they still can. My best friend many decades ago was a hardcore Chevy guy. He has at least 5-6 Camaros, some beautiful cars and others in different stages of restoration, and had a collection of parts that was enviable. Stuff you collect when you were young in the 70's and it was cheap and no one wanted it... Tons of BB and small block heads, complete engines, including tri-power 427's, 396/375's, 350 LT1's, 327/350, 454's... Had a convertible pace car, a real 396/375 car a 1970 Z28 etc... He got killed in a hold up one night coming in from the street races in one of his 69 Camaros. Next day and for the following weeks a bunch of friends and family went in to the garage and started raiding it, a ton of the good stuff was taken by family and friends never to be seen again. His wife, now a widow, with a 5 year old girl was never given anything by any of these thieves... It was heart breaking.... Obviously my buddy had no idea he was going to die, and he was young, but if you are getting ahead in years try to start getting rid of the over stock and get it to others that will use it and appreciate it. If you die and it is just left there, it may not be pretty, and a lot of it may end up in the garbage, by those that do not care and/or do not know...

Last edited by 72442conv; May 16th, 2019 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: What are your plans for your Oldsmobile(s) after you're gone?