General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 oldsmobile 442 4 door

Old January 25th, 2010, 12:48 AM

1972 oldsmobile Regular 4 door

Hey friends, please help me here asap. What is the significance and rarety of a 1972 Oldmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 door car? What is it worth? Is the car that rare? I only seen 2 on the web for sale. Can someone please tell me. I'm interested in buying one and I don't know if it is worthwhile.

Regards,
Pete.

Sorry friends, I misprinted on my question, I meant a regular cutlass 4 door. Not a 442, a regular cutlass 4 door.

Last edited by gtx71fanatic; January 25th, 2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Mistake I meant regular cutlass 4 door not 442 sorry.
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Registered

Welcome to here.

A factory 442 four door is pretty rare, heard rumors of early cop option ones but not in '72.

I don't think the four door is anything special?
May be special in the people's eyes that appreciate fine automobiles but not generally.

You never see many four doors or wagons on the web for sale, may be rare but it's because nobody wanted them and didn't bother to save them.
Rarity doesn't mean value in this case, Vista Cruisers are cool and hard to find in good condition but still aren't worth much, cost a ton to restore right. They're worth more than a Rambler or something like that, not that bad, and you can get all the mechanical parts easily. I think the four doors are cool but most people want two doors and that's where the money is.
I would guess in poor condition around 2-3 thousand, with no rust and everything there, better off buying the best because some parts are unobtainable in reproduction and near impossible to find otherwise. I would say around 7-8K in top condition, just ballparking from others I've seen for sale.

Last edited by Bluevista; January 25th, 2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:59 AM

Yes, I agree with Bluevista. Not common as not many were saved. Often they started life as family cars, so the kiddo's were hard on the interior. When it reached clunker stage it became a parts source to restore 2 door models. If it's a low mile or clean car it can have value to Olds nuts like us. But side by side with a 2 door model it still will not bring as much money for a like condition car. What's the details? 4 door post or hardtop car? Options? Condition? John
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Yes, I agree with Bluevista. Not common as not many were saved. Often they started life as family cars, so the kiddo's were hard on the interior. When it reached clunker stage it became a parts source to restore 2 door models. If it's a low mile or clean car it can have value to Olds nuts like us. But side by side with a 2 door model it still will not bring as much money for a like condition car. What's the details? 4 door post or hardtop car? Options? Condition? John
X2 pretty much, but if it is a Cutlass Supreme, it *is* a hardtop.
And definitely not a 442.
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:37 AM

I didn't know all the Supreme's were hardtops, thanks Kurt!

To me that would make it more desireable although not a lot more in $$ value. But it may be easier to flip if that's what you had in mind.

Several years ago I was too late finding a 1970 4 door hardtop that was pristine and loaded with options. The owner had already dismantled the car and was selling parts. It had a long list of options and was a pretty cool car before turning into a parts car. John
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I didn't know all the Supreme's were hardtops, thanks Kurt!
Interesting bit of trivia to those that don't know:
What was the first Cutlass Supreme?

It was a 1966 4-door hardtop. And that was the *only* model in its first year, no 2-doors!