General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobiles and more at Scottsdale!

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:06 AM

Oldsmobiles and more at Scottsdale!

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...sdale-auctions
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM

Here's more on this. Imagine your mid-year Corvette sitting in the tent with the t-tops off and that you were hoping to sell for 50 or 100K filling up with water.

Winds, rain tear through Scottsdale, devastates auction

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article...uction-damage/
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wouldn't that just be horrible - you couldn't get to your car.... well no one was injured which is a good thing. The weather sure is getting strange... I heard of a tornado in San Diego also, which is unusual.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM

More coverage!

http://www.examiner.com/x-16064-NY-A...BarrettJackson
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Not sure I like this comment in the article!!!!

second-tier musclecars like 4-4-2 W-30 ragtops (there are three this year),
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:01 PM

You don't have to like it, but confront the market about your beef, not me.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM

I don't think he was confronting you. He was just commenting on the article. Is that allowed?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Sorry I will remember the next time you post something that you DON'T actually want to start an intelligent conversation about the subject and move on.

One suggestion though. Either next time don't bother posting ANYTHING or do us a favor and remember your medication!!

Originally Posted by Diego
You don't have to like it, but confront the market about your beef, not me.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM

Would you feel better if I said instead, "take to task?"

His reaction is typical for a marque partisan - whether he is or not remains to be seen. But sometimes people don't like to see their favorites mentioned in any breath other than the most complimentary. If anyone doesn't like my comment, take the Chevy, Mopar, and Shelby fans to task for not demanding more Oldsmobiles for their collections.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Wow somebody obviously has too much time on their hands to read into every little thing like that.... On second thought. Lay off whatever medication you are taking.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM

If anyone doesn't like my comment
What comment? You didn't post a comment. All you did was post a link, and he reacted to something said in the article that the link pointed to, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. He hasn't commented at all on anything YOU said.

P.S. "marque partisan"?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Sorry I will remember the next time you post something that you DON'T actually want to start an intelligent conversation about the subject and move on.

One suggestion though. Either next time don't bother posting ANYTHING or do us a favor and remember your medication!!
So you mean to say there's no more chance for an intelligent conversation?

To the other folks, I hope you enjoy the continuing coverage and photos. I'm headed back there now.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
He hasn't commented at all on anything YOU said.

I wrote the article, so indeed it was something I said.

Funny, eh? Perhaps now you can approach this from another paradigm rather than try to start a fight?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM

I wrote the article, so indeed it was something I said.
Sorry, I didn't notice. I normally don't look at who the author is on article like that because the name wouldn't mean anything to me.

I doubt 66ninetyeightls noticed who the author was, either. Notice that he said that he didn't like the comment in "the" article, not in "your" article.

As the author of the article, instead of rearing up at him and insulting him, you might first have pointed out that you wrote the article, and then you might have engaged him in a conversation explaining why you chose the phrasing you did.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
<<<<<<<< HA I got it first - CW
Sorry, but by definition, we're ALL marque partisans!

After all, we wouldn't be on this site if we weren't partial to the Oldsmobile, and that makes us marque partisans.

Of course, I once knew a guy named Mark Partisan, so he beat you to it!
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75

As the author of the article, instead of rearing up at him and insulting him, you might first have pointed out that you wrote the article, and then you might have engaged him in a conversation explaining why you chose the phrasing you did.
I'm sorry, but the onus isn't on me. Perhaps if I took my meds, I would be more apt to ignore the insults.

If people can't simply read an article and look at photos while offering counterpoint with substance, what good is this forum?

That's the last word from me - it's simply not worth the hassle.
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:50 AM

I'm sorry, but the onus isn't on me.
The onus is always on you, just like it is on all of us, to be polite and constructive and not take everything as an assumed insult. No one is obligated to respond to you or to anyone in one person's definition of "substance." Some people just like to sound off. They have the right to do so.

Last edited by jaunty75; January 24th, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Here's footage from Saturday:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...BarrettJackson
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:13 AM

The February issue of Car Collector Chronicles will have a listing of all Oldsmobiles that crossed the block in Scottsdale.

Car Collector Chronicles shall be available on line 1 Feb. For those not familiar with this pub, it is free, has no advertising and is available online only. Car Collector Chronicles is now in its 3rd year of publication.

Here is the link - http://www.scribd.com/people/view/7936333-dave
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Here's coverage from the RM Auction at the Biltmore:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...le-RM-Auctions
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Captain of my ship

Some very nice cars that you don't see everyday , at least I don't see very often being stuck out here in nowhereville. Some of the nicest cars I saw was at the Mustang's 40th anniversary show that they had in halifax. They had cars from all over North America even from as far away as texas and california. If somebody gave me that black GT500 that was damaged I would take it in a heartbeat. I would assume that Diego would consider this car as a tier 1 car because of the price that it would fetch at the auction. If I had the choice of either the GT500 or the 442 W30 for FREE , there would not be any question. There would also be no question if someone offered me a pound of gold or a pound of silver.I have wanted a GT500 since I was a kid , from the first time I saw one( I was 17) but as a tier 1 car I will never be able to afford it. i took the difference of tier 1 or 2 was the price the car fetched and not the quality of the individual car. Ever since the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds" the price of the GT500 has gone through the roof simply because of demand for the car. As far as the quality of those 2 cars , I thought just by looking at the pics that they were both awesome and could not see any differences between them.even if they were both #1 quality classic cars there would be a considerable difference in value in any book.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM

By Tier 1, 2, etc. it has nothing to do with price alone. It has everything to do with demand and the price that demand dictates. I don't think we need anyone to tell us a LS6 Chevelle ragtop is better than a W-30 ragtop, but which ones did the collectors snap up first? It's taken a long time for the W-30 ragtops to get to a price level that's almost comparable to an LS6 Chevelle.
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Captain of my ship

Thought I had made that point with the GT500 being much more in demand since the movie 'gone in 60 seconds'. Now you see them for sale and everybody calls them Elanor. even the not so good ones are suddenly worth 100K. I can remember looking at some that were being sold from classic car dealers and then they were around 50K but the price has doubled or more the last 10 years. Just 1 example of demand driving up price.
In essence I agree with you on this point with muscle cars , while other classics the higher prices are driven more by quality and quantity.
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:59 AM

I don't consider Eleanor a stock musclecar, especially when most of them are based on Mustangs. Plus, you don't see musclecar collectors snapping them up to add to their collections; instead, it's a different collector.
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM

The latest edition of the Scottsdale reports:

The Women of Barrett-Jackson!
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Captain of my ship

What about the Shelby GT500? I know a lot that I see these days people are cloning into Elanor to get the big bucks for.Years ago I considered buying a 70 Boss Mustang with a 429 but did not like the styling of it that year.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Rich collectors want the 1968 GT-500KR ragtop and later CJ ragtops over the '67. The biggest Shelby turkey is the '68 GT-350, I believe, because it has a mild 302.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:58 AM
"me somebody" site member

For the record, I noticed that Diego referred to a '72 W30 post-coupe in the first article he liked to as a "top tier" muscle car. AND I understood (and least I think I did) the "tongue in cheek" context of the "second tier" status referred to in the second article.

Nice examples of automotive journalism for someone off their meds, haw haw!
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:08 AM

I didn't describe a '72 W-30 as "top-tier" - I had said, "Plenty of musclecars there for the fan, and a good variety of top-tier examples to press your buttons." The list that followed included both, such as a 440-6 'Cuda ragtop and Boss '9, and the rest.

Of course, this is how I see the hobby, but ask the collectors what they own and I bet you'll be in agreement.

And what's with the meds anyway?
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM
"me somebody" site member

Actually, I was being tongue-in-cheek myself, mocking the "meds" comments made above by others, which i felt were uncalled for.

But you DID refer to the 72 W30 as being top tier. Quoting you:

"Next was the Russo and Steele auction in the northern part of Scottsdale. Plenty of musclecars there for the fan, and a good variety of top-tier examples to press your buttons. To wit:"

The '72 W30 appearing 3rd down on the list that followed.

Not sure how that can be taken as anything other than calling it a top tier car. Not a big deal, and not sure why you are arguing the point. Unless the point IS to argue, haw haw!

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; January 30th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Perhaps I could have worded it clearer. However, the list has a mix, per the introduction that includes "plenty of musclecars for the fan, and . . . " so my list includes the top cars and the rest. I'll rewrite it later.

And I know you were being facetious - just my dry humor.
Old January 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
BobsW32

Did you all happen to notice that when they pushed the 1970 W30 Convertible off the block that it had the wrong (Supreme) tail light lenses in it....NICE for a $200,000 plus car
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM

My car came with them.
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:27 AM
Captain of my ship

So here is a question for you diego , have you heard of the 1967 Gt500 Supersnake? This was a 1 of 1 car produced by Caroll Shelby for a Goodyear Tire test at their track in SanAngelo , Texas. Everything about the car was exactly the same except for the motor. it had a 427 medium riser which was the same motor that was in the GT40 that won Lemans. Goodyear wanted a car that could run for 500 miles at high speed to test a new tire and it was said the Caroll Shelby ran the car on the track himself at 150-170mph with a journalist in the passenger seat beside him.
What do you think a car like this would go for at auction?
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:03 PM

I'm not really an expert on values, but I know someone who knows who owns the car and I don't think even he knows for how much it was bought. Knowing the kind of people who have purchased cars like Hemi'Cuda ragtops, I would not be surprised if it went for a million, even though I think one is on crack for spending that much money.

You know the Super Snake wasn't an original 427 car, right? The only 427 ponycar built by Ford was the 1968 Cougar GT-E.
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:28 PM

Here's a focus on a certain Brand X item, but the Oldsmobile stuff will come soon:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...ttsdale-part-I
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Captain of my ship

I'm not really an expert on values, but I know someone who knows who owns the car and I don't think even he knows for how much it was bought. Knowing the kind of people who have purchased cars like Hemi'Cuda ragtops, I would not be surprised if it went for a million, even though I think one is on crack for spending that much money.

You know the Super Snake wasn't an original 427 car, right? The only 427 ponycar built by Ford was the 1968 Cougar GT-E.
I know that some consider it's value somewhere between the 70 and 71 cuda ragtops , so between 1-2 million and that is in a league of very few people.
There were 3 427 GT500's built but only one Super Snake , The difference being that the motor was the same one that was in the GT40 including the exhaust headers though they had to do a little cutting and bending to get them to fit.
Have you heard about the new Bugatti that was built by VW engineers? Supposed to be the fastest production car with a unique 1000hsp W16 motor , basically 2 v8's side by side on a 45 to each other. They have orders for 100 or so right now and only plan on building 300. VW actually bought the Bugatti name just to produce this car and the asking price? 1.5 million Euro. Top speed is 400kms. Oh well even back in the day Bugatti was a car for the wealthy.
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:25 PM

The Bugatti has been around for 5 years or so, so it's old news. I think it's ugly, and it doesn't seem to be in the same spirit of the originals . . . but, hey, someone bought the rights and they're making an interesting car.

The interior in that car is pretty sweet, though.
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:04 AM
Captain of my ship

The only thing I wondered about was why VW felt the need to buy the Bugatti name. They could have just built the same car and put a VW tag on it. maybe they figured using the Bugatti name justified the price tag. The engineering of the car is pretty sweet as it automatically lowers at higer speeds plus the rear spoiler automatically comes up for rear stability , though neither of these features is new. Cooling the car was the biggest problem that they solved by putting in 10 rads. Definitely not Bugatti like except maybe in price and performance. There seems to be a lot of European cars these days that will do 220 mph+. Would make for some spectacular crashes on the Autobahn.
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:38 AM

Autobahn? Would Texas suffice?

And would you spend a million dollars on a VW? It has everything to do with branding. If you don't believe me, check out the American sales for VW's Phaeton and tell me why Americans preferred the Audi A8.

Quick Reply: Oldsmobiles and more at Scottsdale!