General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Yesterday's junktard run

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Yesterday's junktard run

Ok the wife and I went to Harry's U-Pullit in Hazelton yesterday and found some stuff but came home with very little. The odd thing I found was an 88 and a 98 with Chevy 350's in them. They were B-Bodies(are 98's B-Bodies) so they must have been 77-79's right since they were non CCC cars? So what's up with the Chevy's in them? Now we pulled one carb off a 403 powered 88 but in the end we put in in another car as we looked at the pricelist and didn't want to spend almsot $30 for a carb we really didn't need.. We tried to take the distributor out of the 403 but it would not budge which was also odd. It would rotate just not pull up. I think I chracked the housing when I got fed up and used a prybar. I also found a set of very rare Fiero seats. The suede and fleece ones in great condition. But much like the carb it was something I didn't need. I am trying to clean out all the stuff I have so I have more room in the garage not fill it back up. I thought of taking them in hopes of selling them but it seems no one is buying anything right now. Money is very tight for everyone right now. The things we did get were a throttle/TV cable bracet, heat riser tube and plate, and a power Subaru mirror for the wife's car. I was amazed at how busy they were. But it was a beautiful day. There were also a ton of people making the trek from NY which was surprising. And as yet again no elusive lightweight B-Body wagon plastic tailgate. My search continues.
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
The odd thing I found was an 88 and a 98 with Chevy 350's in them. They were B-Bodies(are 98's B-Bodies) so they must have been 77-79's right since they were non CCC cars? So what's up with the Chevy's in them?
This is one of the most infamous episodes in GM/Oldsmobile history. Olds was selling so many cars those years that they literally ran out of engines. So guess what they did?

You can read all about it directly from the time it happened right here:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...947922,00.html