General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Intriguing Question

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

Intriguing Question

2001 Intrigue, 3.5L engine. The "Service Engine Soon" light is on AGAIN!! It started in Sept., had the computer read - showing "Secondary Air Injection System". Computer cleared, light off.

Took it to my guys on 9/30 - light on, computer read - showing "Secondary Air Injection System". They said the Air Injection Pump getting ready to go - intermittent. Computer cleared, light off.

Took it back to my guys 10/14, Air Injection Pump replaced $500.00, computer cleared, light off.

10/16 - Light on - AGAIN!! This is getting old now! Took it in 10/21. Computer read - showing "Secondary Air Ignition System". They told me it's possible they got a bad pump, cleared computer, light off. Call them if it comes on again and they will replace the pump - again. They're scratching their heads!

Well guess what?? It came on this morning!!!! I will be calling them in a few minutes so they can get another pump and I can take it in AGAIN next Wednesday.

Anybody out there in Oldsmobile land know anything about this Secondary Air Injection System? What does it cover?? What does it do?? Could it be something other than that pump????

I know it's not my guys fault. I've been taking my cars to them for years and years. They've worked on my Deltas and the Prettiest One, and have always been honest with me, and worked with me when money was short.

She runs good, idles smooth, really no difference that I can tell driving it, just that purdy yellow light being on. As always, I appreciate your help!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Captain of my ship

2001 intrigue? I have experience with stupid lights coming on in cars and trucks with computerized systems. ran into a similar problem with my mom's 2003 lincoln and it went in about 3 times to replace parts , I think it ended up at over 1,200.00 before they figured out it was a chip malfuntion. never did get the money back for the parts changed that were not the problem.
In my astro van the service engine light comes on all the time and have learned to ignore it. the girlfriends sunfire does the same thing and she always panics , that's why I like my 69 Olds cause all I did was add some under-dash guages and thats all it needs. NO D*MN STINKING COMPUTERS. Well besides the one we use for this. cars are way too complicated these days and there is no such thing as a backyard mechanic for the newer cars. These days they have to plug them into a computer to tell them what's wrong with the car but it doesn't tell them that the computer is frigged.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

LOL!! True!! I will ask them if it could be a chip malfunction. Of course, they're not charging me for reading the computer, or replacing the pump - again! It just bothers me that there is a reason somewhere that the light is on. I like things to be as they should be. Lights suck! I would like to have gauges in the prettiest one instead of lights that come on after it's too late!!! Thanks wolfman!!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:20 AM

That's why we used to call them "idiot" lights
Try disconnecting the battery for a while. Sometimes that burps the system. If all else fails and the car runs good and passes emissions, then a little tape over the light works for me. I had a subaru that I drove for years this way.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well, she passed e-check last March, so I don't have to have her checked again until 2011, I believe. I'll just tell my guys to pull the bulb out!!!
Maybe I'll borrow Jamesbo's "tiger in the tank" and see if that helps! LOL!!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Captain of my ship

Guages are easy to hook up and you can get a small 3-pak so they don't take up a lot of room. Most sets come with instructions and are easy to set up on the 455.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
69-98 work in progress 002.jpg (60.4 KB, 12 views)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM

Yes pull the fuse that disconnets the ecm (electronic control module) and clear it, also as mentioned you can disconnect the battery cable. As long as the car runs well no problem drive with the light on.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Guages are easy to hook up and you can get a small 3-pak so they don't take up a lot of room. Most sets come with instructions and are easy to set up on the 455.
I'll put that on my "might as well list"!! Jamesbo will be proud....
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
I'll put that on my "might as well list"!! Jamesbo will be proud....
Allen can bring some along with him when he comes to paint the motor
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Cutlass Lover

SSSShhhhhhhh... don't tell him!! LOL!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM

2001 Intrigue, 3.5L engine. The "Service Engine Soon" light is on AGAIN!! It started in Sept., had the computer read - showing "Secondary Air Injection System". Computer cleared, light off.

Took it to my guys on 9/30 - light on, computer read - showing "Secondary Air Injection System". They said the Air Injection Pump getting ready to go - intermittent. Computer cleared, light off.

Took it back to my guys 10/14, Air Injection Pump replaced $500.00, computer cleared, light off.

10/16 - Light on - AGAIN!! This is getting old now! Took it in 10/21. Computer read - showing "Secondary Air Ignition System". They told me it's possible they got a bad pump, cleared computer, light off. Call them if it comes on again and they will replace the pump - again. They're scratching their heads!

Well guess what?? It came on this morning!!!! I will be calling them in a few minutes so they can get another pump and I can take it in AGAIN next Wednesday.

Anybody out there in Oldsmobile land know anything about this Secondary Air Injection System? What does it cover?? What does it do?? Could it be something other than that pump????

I know it's not my guys fault. I've been taking my cars to them for years and years. They've worked on my Deltas and the Prettiest One, and have always been honest with me, and worked with me when money was short.

She runs good, idles smooth, really no difference that I can tell driving it, just that purdy yellow light being on. As always, I appreciate your help!

I have so many bogus indicator lights on my Aurora, that I don't pay much attention to them anymore.

Like you, when they first started to appear, I took my car to mechanic(s) (and dealer), that all wanted to change out parts. I put up with this for about a $1000 worth of their time (and parts) before realizing the root cause of the problem is computer chip related. This especially became evident on the repeat troubles, and other things like "Low Engine Oil, Low Engine Coolant, Low Tire Pressure" that checked out just fine. These vehicle CPU chips are not cheap (almost like buying a PC/CPU)!

I also discovered that with my car I have seasonal indicator lights that come on. (The computer seems to like the hot weather, so it's only in the winter when I get a "Check Engine" light along with "Check Gas Cap"). Again, nothing wrong, just another bogus indicator; had to have my mechanic reset the "Check Engine" light for DMV inspection, but it came back on after a couple of days.

Bottom line is the shops that don't keep careful historical records of our vehicles - are mis-firing in their diagnostics (I don't care what their computerized tools say). Without the history of troubles we bring our vehicles in for, especially on the repeated problems, the sophisticated tools only tell part of the story.

If it were me and all things seem well with your car, drive it a while and see if it continues to perform well. If it does, you may want to consider a chip replacement.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; October 23rd, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thank you Dan. I'm takin her in next Wednesday evening and they will read the computer again. I'm sure it will be the same thing showing up. That's why I'm wondering what the heck does the secondary air injection system do?? What is it injecting air into?? Or isn't it?? God, the old cars are sooooo much easier to figure out!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Registered

SSSShhhhhhhh... don't tell him!! LOL!

I heard you.

Artist's conception of painted engine.

car show 029chebby.jpg
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I heard you.

I knew wolfman was too loud! I'll have to tell him to whisper!

Artist's conception of painted engine.

Attachment 10178

OH MY GOD!!!! I wish you could hear me laughing at that one!!!!! That's great!!! But NOT going to happen!!!!! No beer until the job is finished in beautiful OLDS GOLD!!! You just crack me up!
Technologically smart people!!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Cutlass Lover

By the way, I like your new avatar!!! Very nice!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Captain of my ship

Yeah nice picture much better than that old car you had on there
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Registered

Old car? That car's a lot newer than me.

I swiped the pic from the '71 showroom catalog for my new improved avatar.
It better look like that before spring, I won't have time to work on it after winter the way things are going with this engine "paint job"

Last edited by Bluevista; October 23rd, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Cutlass Lover

Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM

If you can get the dtc code when they rescan the car might be able to shed some light on the problem. I seems most modern day techs scan the car and whatever trouble code comes up they replace the part associated with that dtc instead of running the test sequence that goes with the dtc. If you run the tests it gives you a reason to replace parts. The most likely dtc on yours is p0410. If you remember years ago cars came out with a check emmisions light or flag, everyone ignored them so the car companies changed it to a check engine soon light. The light only comes on when there is a emmisions problem . The secondary air system pumps air int the exhaust to help the catalytic converter do its job.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well, I did a lot of edumacating myself on secondary air injection systems on various Google sites this afternoon. Seems that there are Technical Service Bulletins on these things on the 2000 - 2002 Intrigues, Regals, Monte's, Impalas and grand prix according to the NHTSA - #10008472. Interesting! There are a lot of different TSB's on this car, and I don't like them!!
You are correct on the code. I called my guys and told them I was doing this reading, and he told me that they get copies of these reports (bulletins) on their Alldata system. I read a lot of forums with people describing the same problems as mine - and the costs involved fixing them. The main thing people said was that water gets into these pumps and can corrode the pump, or freeze in there, etc... A lot of the recommendations are to replace the pump, install new hose and shield, and relay.
They say that "Relay may be sticking in closed position which may cause pump damage."
So, I understand a little more than I did, and at least I can ask them if they are going to do further testing like you suggested, and/or replace the things that are recommended! I'm sure it's going to show that same P0410 code again. Thats the only one it's been showing! I'll find out next week - I just hope it's not going to be as expensive as that pump was!!
Thanks to all of you for your assistance!!!
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Captain of my ship

Old car? That car's a lot newer than me.

I swiped the pic from the '71 showroom catalog for my new improved avatar.
It better look like that before spring, I won't have time to work on it after winter the way things are going with this engine "paint job"
So you are saying that the car in your avatar is not your car but a pic of a new car from a 71 catalog? Gee I was thinking you got it painted , boy am I disappointed
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Registered

So you are saying that the car in your avatar is not your car but a pic of a new car from a 71 catalog? Gee I was thinking you got it painted , boy am I disappointed
Actually...early yesterday morning I got it painted, put on the woodgrain and trim, drove it to New England and took a pic parked by the ocean in front of stack of lobster traps that just happened to have a '71 flat top Cutlass wagon parked near it.
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Cutlass Lover

Actually...early yesterday morning I got it painted, put on the woodgrain and trim, drove it to New England and took a pic parked by the ocean in front of stack of lobster traps that just happened to have a '71 flat top Cutlass wagon parked near it.

You are such a sh** You must have gotten up and took a swig of that Marvel Mystery Oil to get you going!! LOL!!
See how fast you work? And a beautiful job at that!! You'll have the Prettiest One's engine done in no time at all!!! In beautiful Olds Gold!
I laugh every time I look at that picture.... that was just too good!!
Did you happen to notice if the '71 flat top was for sale??
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM

I show over 20 cases where the air injection shut off valves were defective . Vacuum is applied to the valves to allow air to be pumped into the exhaust if the vales are stuck or do not hold vacuum no air gets into the exhaust fails test and sets code in two run cycles
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM

All 3.5 gm engines are know for this problem. Take it back to the shop make them fix it. Could be the new pump is bad, but they do need to look at it to fix.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
All 3.5 gm engines are know for this problem. Take it back to the shop make them fix it. Could be the new pump is bad, but they do need to look at it to fix.
I have an appointment set up for Wednesday. I'm going to ask them about those valves too, as mentioned before. Thats one of the reasons I let them know that I was reading up on this, so it won't be foreign to me, and I can ask questions without sounding too much like I don't know what I'm talking about! Good thing those guys love me and put up with me!
It's my time and money, and I can be a royal PITA when I have to be!! LOL!!!
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Cutlass Lover

The Intrigue is becoming more Intriguing

Well, I had to go somewhere today, and she sat for about 2 hours. Started good, ran good on the way. When I got back in and started her to come home, she started hard, stalled (this is a first) and when I started her again, my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree!! Now I have 4 lights on!!
Service Engine Soon; Service Vehicle Soon; Trac Off; PCS. Is all this caused by that friggin air injection pump and whatever is going on with it???? I'm calling my guys in the morning and will see what they have to say. Hopefully she'll start ok in the morning. She ran ok, coming home earlier, maybe a little bit sluggish. I'm getting aggrivated!
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

trade in time.
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Captain of my ship

yeah maybe you could trade for a 72 cutlass daily driver
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Cutlass Lover

yeah maybe you could trade for a 72 cutlass daily driver
I'd do it in a heartbeat!!! I don't know what my next car will be... I've always had an Olds of some kind!!!
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Registered

I'd do it in a heartbeat!!! I don't know what my next car will be... I've always had an Olds of some kind!!!

Here's a nice '74 coming up for auction close by in Northfield Sandy.
My good buddy Eeeeeugene the used car dealer scumball will bid on it if you want.

http://www.copart.com/c2/onSaleResul...lotId=18939979

All it has is power steering, nothing else to worry about breaking.
The engine is gold too.

Nobody will ask you what year it is if they look at the back seat or the dash cover first, you sure won't forget either.
The dash lettering has the apostrophe after the "74" so I guess it's a seventy four foot Olds too, looks a lot shorter?

I think it was a factory race car with so few heavy options and that radio delete.
Or do you think the radio was deleted parked out on the street one night?
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Cutlass Lover

Here's a nice '74 coming up for auction close by in Northfield Sandy.
My good buddy Eeeeeugene the used car dealer scumball will bid on it if you want.

http://www.copart.com/c2/onSaleResul...lotId=18939979

All it has is power steering, nothing else to worry about breaking.
The engine is gold too.

Nobody will ask you what year it is if they look at the back seat or the dash cover first, you sure won't forget either.
The dash lettering has the apostrophe after the "74" so I guess it's a seventy four foot Olds too, looks a lot shorter?

I think it was a factory race car with so few heavy options and that radio delete.
Or do you think the radio was deleted parked out on the street one night?
I think I'll pass on this one, but thanks anyhow!! The best part is the gold paint! LOL! If my floorboards ever looked like that, I'd kill someone! Do you think it's a '74?? I'm not quite sure about that! It does look just a little shorter than 74'!!! My guess would be that the radio was deleted in Cleveland one night!! It is nice to know it comes with keys!!! LOL!! "Uh, my name is Eugene... I'm a cool dude in a loose mood"....
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Cutlass Lover

Still Intriguing!!!

Well, I'm sitting out at Defer right now, and the Intrigue is in the shop. I told them about my beautiful dash lights being all lit up Sunday. When I started it on Monday morning, all were off except the service engine soon one. I will post when I get out of here and get home and let you know what they said this time!!!
I would really like to be home on Wednesday nights so I could watch my shows instead of recording them and watching later! Hopefully they will figure it out tonight. To be continued......
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Cutlass Lover

Becoming less Intriguing

Well... We're finally getting somewhere! Tonight when they read the computer it was still showing the same code, but upon further investigation - checking the vaccum and such, they discovered the "Rear air injection diverter valve" was stuck closed.

They un-stuck it, and the light was off all the way home. How strange my dash looks without it! They are going to get a price on a new valve from the dealer and call me. Marc said just guessing, he thinks it will be a couple hundred dollars. There's a surprise! I told them about all the reading I did on this, and about the replies I got from you guys and how one of you said you found over 20 cases of defective valves!

I hate pollution bullsh** on cars!! Hopefully when I get this new valve on it, the problem will be fixed, never to bother me again! My credit card company will be disappointed though!!
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Well at least it sounds like you've rounded the corner and it will be fixed soon. We will keep our fingers crossed for you. Now, hopefully you can give your wallet a rest too!
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Well at least it sounds like you've rounded the corner and it will be fixed soon. We will keep our fingers crossed for you. Now, hopefully you can give your wallet a rest too!
Thank you very much!! I hope we're on the way now!! Capital One... Whats in your wallet? It damned sure ain't money!! LOL!!
I just noticed your Long Island location... I bought this Intrigue in Long island!!!

Last edited by cutlassgal; October 28th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Registered

Great! At least you know what's wrong.
Oh well, I thought I was going to be able to buy an Intrigue cheap and flip it.

I figured it was that valve.

They did refer to those valves a lot on other sites when there were problems with the air pump.
Seems to be a common problem, lousy stinkin' computer smog controls are a nightmare.

I should talk, I've been trying to figure out whats wrong with my primitive leaf blower engine for a week.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:46 AM

I had a similar problem on a Buick Roadmaster station wagon. Kept getting the "Check Engine" light and it showed the 410 code. I replaced two check valves and the "Check Engine" light still came on, almost at the same spot in my daily driving route. After much head scratching and talking to the head fleet mechanic where I work, we decided my only option was the local dealership. They found that it was simply a hose clamp, on the Secondary Air Injection system, that was loose. That happened from previous work that was done on the car where some of the plumbing had to be disconnected to get at what needed to be repaired. The surprise of this story is the dealership only charged me $29.99 for the fix, which was the cost of the diagnostic. They were running a special that week on the diagnostic. The service manager said he could have charged me an hour for the tech's time, but he would only charge me for the diagnostic because it ended up to be such a simple fix. I thought that was quite nice of them, considering.

That is the long story. The short story, and my advise to you, is to follow the plumbing in the system and make sure the hose clamps are tight. The clamp on mine was not that noticeable, but loose enough to trip the computer.
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Cutlass Lover

Great! At least you know what's wrong.
Oh well, I thought I was going to be able to buy an Intrigue cheap and flip it.

Have I told you that you are such a sh**!!! You tickle me!! I do feel better knowing we're on the right track with this thing. I don't like it when something on my Olds is not as it should be! If I have to replace more than this friggin valve though, you might be getting one heck of a deal! LOL!!

I figured it was that valve.

They did refer to those valves a lot on other sites when there were problems with the air pump.
Seems to be a common problem, lousy stinkin' computer smog controls are a nightmare.

Yeah, what you said!! I hate E-Check and everything that goes with it!

I should talk, I've been trying to figure out whats wrong with my primitive leaf blower engine for a week.
Is that where you've been?? Have you cussed a lot and used the BIG hammer??? I hear that usually works! Makes you feel better anyhow!

Originally Posted by nelsontj
I had a similar problem on a Buick Roadmaster station wagon. Kept getting the "Check Engine" light and it showed the 410 code. I replaced two check valves and the "Check Engine" light still came on, almost at the same spot in my daily driving route. After much head scratching and talking to the head fleet mechanic where I work, we decided my only option was the local dealership. They found that it was simply a hose clamp, on the Secondary Air Injection system, that was loose. That happened from previous work that was done on the car where some of the plumbing had to be disconnected to get at what needed to be repaired. The surprise of this story is the dealership only charged me $29.99 for the fix, which was the cost of the diagnostic. They were running a special that week on the diagnostic. The service manager said he could have charged me an hour for the tech's time, but he would only charge me for the diagnostic because it ended up to be such a simple fix. I thought that was quite nice of them, considering.

That is the long story. The short story, and my advise to you, is to follow the plumbing in the system and make sure the hose clamps are tight. The clamp on mine was not that noticeable, but loose enough to trip the computer.
That was very nice of the dealer! I was wondering if I should have called a dealer for mine. I may end up doing so yet - depends on when they call me and tell me what this is going to cost! I wouldn't have a clue as to what lines to look at under the hood of this car! Seems to me I read that this pump is behind the drivers side headight somewhere?
I notice you replaced 2 valves? I hope to God I don't have to replace another one! I sure wish my nephew knew how to work on these newer cars... it would save me a ton of money!
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Captain of my ship

So oldsrallye350 hit the nail right on the head there with the shut off valve being defective. you should see if they have ever done a recall on this and if not put your bill away as it may come up. maybe they will do right by you

Quick Reply: Intriguing Question