General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Internet Car Purchases GONE WILD

Old March 20th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Internet Car Purchases GONE WILD

It's me, -the REV.

My '69 442-H/O Wannabe will probably be a Neverbe.

Take a look at a few webpages for me please. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of each page. www.majesticcarcompany.com

Thanks
-the REV

Last edited by BLESSEDBYGOD; March 20th, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Don't see any
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by BLESSEDBYGOD
It's me, -the REV.

My '69 442-H/O Wannabe will probably be a Neverbe.

Take a look at a few webpages for me please. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of each.

Thanks
-the REV
Sorry, the URL didn't copy: www.majesticcarcompany.com
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Amazing what people will do for a few pieces of silver.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Holy smokes. That's incredibly bad. With Lemon Laws and avenues of legal recourse, why the heck would a car DEALER do something this egregous? God knows what is waiting for you under that paint job as well. I'm guessing a TON of body filler. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the stuffed holes with newspaper.

Hopefully you will get this resolved. It's just a shame what you'll have to go through to get your money back.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM

I am so angry not over the money but the fear of what would have happened had I given this to my wife for her birthday, as was the plan, and her and my girls went for a drive. Any stress on the frame would have been catastrophic.

The seller will only communicate via email and they have stopped responding to that as well. My attorney is sending them a letter today but you know how that goes. I am filing online claims this morning with all the agencies I noted on the previous email.

I guess since it was sold in Michigan I may end up having to go there at some point. Always wanted to visit the U.P.

As car guys I knew you would feel my pain. All of this and now I still need to buy a birthday present for my wife.

-the REV

Last edited by BLESSEDBYGOD; March 20th, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:57 AM

I'm sorry to see that Hopefully this will work out for you, and your efforts will stop those knuckleheads from selling anymore junk like that. Good luck, and hope after you get this mess resolved you can pick up a car thats a little more umm... solid.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM

So did you get the same car as in the pictures???? It looked SOO nice, even in the rear underbody shots!
I cannot believe someone would go THAT far to conceal so much structual damage.
The comment about the guy not wanting to go out in 8" of snow to get a picture underneath was suspicious in itself. WHY would THIS car out in the snow??
I hope you bury those guys...

A more fitting title to this thread would be
"Internet Car Purchases GONE FRAUDULENT!"

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 20th, 2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
So did you get the same car as in the pictures???? It looked SOO nice, even in the rear underbody shots!
I cannot believe someone would go THAT far to conceal so much structual damage.
The comment about the guy not wanting to go out in 8" of snow to get a picture underneath was suspicious in itself. WHY would THIS car out in the snow??
I hope you bury those guys...

A more fitting title to this thread would be
"Internet Car Purchases GONE FRAUDULENT!"

My friend, -the JUDGE, said I need to be careful with the word fraud.

Everything you can see kneeling or leaning over in regards to the frame is freshly undercoated. They don't have a lift apparently, or the whole undercarriage would have been sprayed. Also the Gas tank, which shows up prominent in the pics, had been replaced.

Just noticed on the AD that they checked GOOD for the frame condition. I would hate to see Average or Poor. I think they would have done better to check Not Applicable......
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:27 AM

If any of you guys want to post the website www.majescticcarcompany.com on other forums you participate on, feel free. I have 4 other GM vehicles and posted to the sites for them I hang out on as well. My education on Fraud came at a cost, maybe someone else can learn from my experience.

Thx
-the REV
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Sad, sad story. I hope you bury those guys. All the good guys we deal with including each other get hurt by these type of people. When ever their name pops up we have to answer "don't deal with them, they are crooks"
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Well Rev, hopefully it'll all work out. It's pretty sad that a dealer like that would do such a thing. It makes you wonder who you can trust anymore. I think there are certain dealers and people who are reputable out there who you can trust buying a car from.

I dunno, I purchased my 442, and essentially many rust issues weren't disclosed. I chose not to pursue action because I knew that, in the end, I wouldn't have gained much from it.

After that, I found a New Mexico car, and that too, had some rust that needed to be taken car of, but not much. I guess my point is, after my Camaro and 442, I don't think I'll ever buy an East Coast car again. Just too much weathering takes place that can easily be covered up. Sometimes the seller doesn't even know about it. I think in this case, you're lucky the rust that wasn't disclosed is so bad. It makes the case MUCH easier on your end. I think you should win the case fairly easily.

Hopefully it'll enable you to get your money back and then some and allow you to buy a really nice, solid Olds.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Past Administrator

Good Lord! A sad story indeed.

You are still blessed by God because you didn't let you wife take the girls for a ride and still have her/them.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 68Tom
I dunno, I purchased my 442, and essentially many rust issues weren't disclosed. I chose not to pursue action because I knew that, in the end, I wouldn't have gained much from it.

Hopefully it'll enable you to get your money back and then some and allow you to buy a really nice, solid Olds.
Tom, I don't claim to know all about your car and how much was really *known* and not disclosed, but from all that you were kind enough to share with us, I know that the extent of the deterioration of your car seemed not to be really evident until you got it stripped.
By comparison, it seems that the Rev's situation is much more a case of outright fraud. Not to trivialize your situation in the least.

Rev, best of luck and thanks for sharing and going to bat for all of us against those that give our hobby a black eye.

Both Tom and the Rev have my thanks and appreciation for giving us the opportunity to learn from their misfortunes and hopefully keep us from going down the same path.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Tom, I don't claim to know all about your car and how much was really *known* and not disclosed, but from all that you were kind enough to share with us, I know that the extent of the deterioration of your car seemed not to be really evident until you got it stripped.
By comparison, it seems that the Rev's situation is much more a case of outright fraud. Not to trivialize your situation in the least.
Oh, absolutely his scenario is worse in a way, but better in another, in that it's so blatant, his case should be pretty solid. I guess the only reason why I brought up my car was to highlight the pitfalls of an East Coast car--rust covered by paint and bondo. No slight taken, just don't want anyone to think I was comparing our situations.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
My Daily Driver

My Dad always used to say, "Buyer beware!"
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM
car guy

Based on the first picture you don't have to worry about any more rust but you do have to worry about termites

I was in a similar situation but not to this extreem with a 40 Ford I bought a few years back. Every picture I asked for was very stratigicly cropped to not show things that might make me think twice about the car. In addition it had a ton of mechanical issues. I bought a car that needed a tire and wheel cosmetic change and recived a car that took 6 months to have a safe road worthy car. I feel for you and you family. Nothing like making something special like a present for you wife into a nightmare.

Let us know what forums you have posted this in. I will spead it around to some I am a memeber of but don't want to duplicate.

Good luck to you Rev. I wish you well in your fight.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM

This makes me glad I cheaped out when I bought my car. I found it online and the seller also had no good way of getting good underbody shots.
I looked into the cost of having someone transport the car from the South Carolina coast to Dallas TX, and found it would have been much cheaper to fly there and drive it home. I thought that if it would not make the trip, i did not even want it, and I told the seller that. He got it to a mechanic and had it prepped for me.
I also convinced myself that I HAD to look at the car and drive it ahead of time, especially since it was from an individual whom I never met before (despite him being very kind). I could have paid for inspection, but more $$ and how well would they look?...) I knew if worse came to worse, I would just tour the area for the weekend, and buy another one-way air ticket back to dallas.

A long story short, the car was worth the price and she made the trip with only the A/C failing along the way, as predicted. For the price, A/C was just a bonus...
She was an east-coast beauty and has LOTS of that red dirt underneath. I have yet to get her up on ramps for VERY close inspection. Hopefully she will not fall apart when i pressure wash her undercarriage next month! (she should be fine - no big surprises under the carpet...)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 20th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Sound like the guy, from NH, who sold my Dad' former 1963 Starfire(Jan 2009). I found this week, it is in Boulder,CO. Dad had teh car from Jan 1989 -July of 2008.
In anutshell, the car has beenhit twice inthe left front quarter, gas tanks has leaked for over 5 years, and for over 14 years the 394 has cracked piston skits
I wantedthe car back (almost 20 years of memories), but got outbid by seconds and $100 on Ebay.
I just found out the new buyer had to deal with a leaking gas tank
In a nutshell the Ebay seller lied to me three times over(ie I won the bid, gas tank did not leak(which it has fo rover 5 years), and that he would give me contact information on the new owner,ect).

Last edited by toro68; March 21st, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM

call the michigan police...

Rev, really really sorry to see what this deal has turned into, one thought would be to find out where this company is located, call the local police and let them know you will be filing a complaint. and ask is there any broken laws ie fraud etc. then also alert the local better business bureau, and don't forget the local paper, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets oiled.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Got mine off of ebay. Private sale. It was close enough that I could go see it before money changed hands. I think in this day and age it is almost a must. It is a shame. Liked it better when a handshake and your word was all anybody would need.

On a side note maybe you could talk to somebody upstairs and get them some different housing in the future. Maybe some place very warm with A/C that's works as well as the frame of your car.

Larry
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM

EMailed a ton of people today. Including the newspapers and tv stations around Flint where the car came from. I have had no reply at all from the seller. I emailed them all the forms I submitted to the various regulatory agencies including the FBI. ZERO contact from them.

I added all the emails we have sent back and forth to the www.majesticcarcompany.com website. Its the 3rd page.

Like a past victim i found wrote about them, she said, they just don't care.

-the REV
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM

WOW. Im so sorry....make me SO greatful that my cutlass was an honest listing. My frame looks showroom compared to you pics. Makes me think twice about buying online.

I just sold a 72 caddy eldorado on ebay for my wifes mother & it had moderate frame rust really similar to you situation. So there i was on a cold PA, December weekend Detailing & yes i jacked the car up & got many lights & took every possiable angled pic i could of the frame. I take my ebay rating serious. Just wish others would

heres the listing for the caddy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...70648&viewitem=

GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND
PML

Last edited by PmL69; March 20th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Old March 20th, 2009, 06:05 PM

J-
You using that frame in your Avatar??????

-the REV
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

LOL!
Yes. I was just using it today, actually.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...transmock1.jpg
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by BLESSEDBYGOD
J-
You using that frame in your Avatar??????

-the REV
Rev, you're keeping *me* chuckling........wonder if anyone else is too!
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Proverbs 29:9
If a wise man confronts a foolish man,
whether he rage or laugh, there is no peace.

So I'd just as soon laugh....

-the REV
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
car guy

hey REV where all did you post this. I will help you spread it around
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM

So far not many spots, been busy posting to FBI, TV stations, newspapers, State Attorney General's, State fraud bureaus.

Also:
Chevy Avalanche Club of North America
Club Avalanche
PortaBoters (Boat Forum)
Buickforum.com
classiccar.com

-the REV

Last edited by BLESSEDBYGOD; March 20th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM

I posted this on a forum that I belong to (Forwardlook.net). I am in shock!
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Bleeping People should be in a maximum prison where they are dealing with people who have weapons of a$$ destruction. Then and only then would they know how it truly feels to get screwed.

Last edited by Cut-67; March 20th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM
car guy

better ugrade the bandwidth...its now on the following
realoldspower
performance years
pro-touring
lateral-g
chevelles.com
Old March 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tangovino
My Dad always used to say, "Buyer beware!"
Words to live by.

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Got mine off of ebay. Private sale. It was close enough that I could go see it before money changed hands ........
Same with my '65. I was fully prepared to return with an empty trailer.

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
......... Liked it better when a handshake and your word was all anybody would need ........
But, that was before "Consumer protection" and "tort" laws.

Norm
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:48 AM

I can't see the pix?
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:19 AM

People like that make it harder for honest people to sell thier cars online. A friend of mine bought a 49 Caddy online. He had a local appraiser look at the car before he bought it just to make sure it was solid.
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
better ugrade the bandwidth...its now on the following
realoldspower
performance years
pro-touring
lateral-g
chevelles.com
Thanks. We don't even have the pics up yet of the other problems with the gas tank mounting, the seatbelt mounts screwed into nothing and the seat mounts attached to rusted through panels with just bolts, no washers or nuts.

Also discovered why the various guages don't work, they aren't hooked up to anything.

This purchase is the gift that keeps on giving.....

-the REV
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM

That is a bummer that the preson you bought the car from is a scam artist. Hopefully your lawyer can help you resolve the problem.
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:26 AM

Now I see the pix....
Sorry for your misfortune. I once sent money to a guy on the internet for some parts and never received them. I was out about 400.00. I wanted to fly from east coast to west coast just to choke him.
I admire your self control. People like them repulse me and wish sometimes our laws were more midevil so we could have them drawn and quartered.
I try to simplify things in life and always try to do the right thing. After all the back and forth of he said ... she said...It basically comes down to someone stealing.
I hope this doesn't ruin your desire to own an oldsmobile because they are great automobiles and there are a lot of nice ones out there.
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Banned

i bought a cutlass off ebay from oregon a few years back,ran into the same thing..the Oregon attorney general told me this:

if the people that ripped you off dont show a pattern of dishonesty,meaning they ripped a lot of people off,then they wont go after them hard.

they did get me some shipping money back,but those guys are still doing business on ebay

i think the only recourse you have is to hire an attorney.

they will lose the case,and they will pay the attorney's fees.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Internet Car Purchases GONE WILD