General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

US buyer protection?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2017, 12:32 AM

US buyer protection?

Hi Guys

Not sure where to ask, so hope anybody can help me with this matter.

I bought a Olds 403 block from Franks Pontiac Parts in CA, he told me it was magnafluxed and bores measured for max bore size.

It arrived last week, cleaned the deck for gasket leftovers, and the block was cracked from waterpocket to head bolt hole, so not much crack testing on that block.

I sent them a picture of the crack, and now they just told me to spend $600 in return shipping for a $550 block.....

Is it possible in US to write off responsibility for selling damaged parts, or would i have a chance in court?

Considering getting a local lawyer looking in to the matter, but if it is ok to deal customers this way in US, i would rather tell any international buyer to stay clear of Frank, than spend money on a lawyer, and loose even further money on this shitty block.
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:07 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by TBT_DK
Hi Guys

...but if it is ok to deal customers this way in US, i would rather tell any international buyer to stay clear of Frank, than spend money on a lawyer, and loose even further money on this shitty block.
Sorry to hear that. It is absolutely not ok to deal w customers that way, I would say this guy took advantage of the fact that your unlikely to return his junk for a higher cost than it's worth.

While it's sometimes difficult to gauge a sellers reputation, many sellers on this site are reputable and helpful, outside of this site I would advise using eBay, PayPal or a credit card to give you some protection against fruadulent sellers.

Also start a thread and Google the seller before you buy if you want to see if others have had a negative experience w a seller.

There is a known less than reputable parts seller named Frank that does business as billionsandtrillions it isn't the same guy is it?
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:34 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you had that bad experience. Did you pay with a credit card? If so you can dispute it with your credit card company on the basis that he didn't send you the specific product you purchased. Many folks don't realize that businesses rarely win disputed transactions.

I'm not sure what lawyers charge in Denmark, but here it just wouldn't be worth it for $550.
Old March 25th, 2017, 07:20 AM

That sucks but I have to agree lawyers are sooooooooo expensive it really isn't worth it.
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:52 AM

I think that billionsandtrillions is in Oklahoma, and yes steer clear of him.
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Olds Fever

Just a suggestion, but I would go to several different internet sites and reference the bad experience you have had with that company referencing the company by it's complete business name... Foe example this site, a Pontiac forum, as well as Facebook, where they just happen to have a Facebook page... When the business named is Googled by other perspective customers most, if not all, information on the net should pop up in a search with that name... Now granted, their Facebook page may have a delay factor and your post can be deleted by the administrator before too many people see it, but all it takes is just a few others to start spreading the word of his bad business practices... Personally commenting on the Pontiac forums could be your best effort to get the word out... Good luck in your efforts...
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Trails
I'm sorry to hear that you had that bad experience. Did you pay with a credit card? If so you can dispute it with your credit card company on the basis that he didn't send you the specific product you purchased. Many folks don't realize that businesses rarely win disputed transactions.

I'm not sure what lawyers charge in Denmark, but here it just wouldn't be worth it for $550.
No, i used WU, because it was the only way they would accept international orders.

My problem was my old block was cracked, and they seem very hard to find in untouched condition, so i was happy when i found one, that had been crack testet and bore dimension checked, or so he said anyway.

Was just prepping it for the machineshop, when i saw the crack.

Seems like i just have to spread the word about http://www.frankspontiacparts.com/ as often as i could to alert others.

The worst part is i got all parts ready for this engine, KB pistons, H Beam con rods, bearings, crank alu heads, cam and so on.....
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by TBT_DK
No, i used WU, because it was the only way they would accept international orders.
Unfortunately, that was the first sign of trouble - any company that will only accept Western Union transfers is guaranteed to be dishonest.
WU is used only by scam artists, illegal immigrants sending money home to their families, and drug dealers.

Sending via Western Union is the same as sending cash, from a consumer protection perspective, so you will get nothing there.

Since returning the block and going over there yourself are both more expensive than getting your money back, those are out of the question, too.
I would say that unless you have a friend who lives near them, and could pay them a visit, you really have no effective options, and need to write off the expense as a learning experience (and be sure to post the name of the company everywhere you can, as noted above, to try to help others).

I'm very sorry that happened to you.

- Eric
Old March 27th, 2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Unfortunately, that was the first sign of trouble - any company that will only accept Western Union transfers is guaranteed to be dishonest.
x2

That's a bummer that you were scammed. Can the block be repaired by a competent machinist / welder?