General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rock auto parts

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2017, 04:36 AM

Rock auto parts

Wanting info on rock auto ---going to place big order for suspension and brake parts. Thanks. Greg.
Old March 15th, 2017, 04:58 AM
Hookers under Hood

I'd recommend Rock Auto in a heartbeat, I ordered all my suspension parts from them and had them shipped to Canada. Close to $900.00 U.S.A order a few years ago now.
They gave me a discount even thou I didn't have a code, shipping was fast , all the parts worked great no issues whatsoever.
I hope this helps
Eric
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:01 AM

I use them every time I need parts for all my vehicles and have for years, unless I cannot wait. I like their selection of makers, but shipping adds up when the parts come from multiple places. Never had a problem. Even bought some items that required a core return and got my money back very fast.
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Great place to do business, a lot of us use them. Don't forget to use their promo code.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nt-code-5.html
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:32 AM

Rock is awesome, I so often try to plan ahead and just stock up on PONT or OLDS gaskets, oil filters , air filters , wiper blades for everything at the house. Typically pay a dollar and change for oil filters, one to two dollars for wiper blades, serpentine belts for ten to fifteen.. quick to ship and always with tracking numbers 1-3 days delivery typically.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

X5 or X6. I got all the suspension parts for my 67 D88 from them (at least the ones that were still available - had to use Mobileparts for the unobtainium ones). Be sure to use the discount code. Also, do your homework on total price with shipping. Sometimes it is less expensive to buy locally - though usually that applies to oversize or heavy parts like brake drums and rotors. I'll often get those from NAPA only because the total cost to me is less.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:56 AM

All good. Will give them a try then---------thanks
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Zr1bandit
All good. Will give them a try then---------thanks
One thing you need to watch out for is that their on-line catalog has known errors, especially for Oldsmobile parts. Pretty much every single listing they have for motor mounts is wrong. For a while, they showed Vista Cruisers as incorrectly using ball joints for a full size (I think this has been fixed). They show the 350 as an available engine option on the 1968-71 442s. Most of their water pump listings are wrong.

Bottom line is that I always verify part numbers independently before placing an order. I often order by part number, not application.
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:17 AM

One big error I should let them know about. I look up rear diff/gear parts for a 63-64 Pontiac (9.3" Old Pont 57-64) rear. They list Chrysler 8.75" stuff which is completely bizarre

Last edited by GEARMAN69; March 16th, 2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
One thing you need to watch out for is that their on-line catalog has known errors...
x2

I ordered a throttle body gasket for a 2003 Ford F150 5.4L that I owned and when it came it didn't fit (guess I should have verified the part before hand). It turned out the gasket was for the 5.4L engine in the E150 (even though it was listed as good for the F150).

I called them and they made it right. They have good customer service. I have ordered from them again since then. I'm just more careful when I shop.
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:43 AM

I agree with Joe, watch the on line cataloging closely for errors, I have a 79 Cutlass so I always check 78 and 80 it's amazing what I find that fits and or is available in one year off which is perfectly fine. Example - Alternators for a 260
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:59 AM

Amen on the motor mounts.
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll also point out that nearly every vendor has Olds motor mount applications listed incorrectly, even Fusick. I think Supercars is the only vendor I've seen with correct listings.
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'll also point out that nearly every vendor has Olds motor mount applications listed incorrectly, even Fusick. I think Supercars is the only vendor I've seen with correct listings.
Are you talking all years or just one specific year ??
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Zr1bandit
Are you talking all years or just one specific year ??
Many years. Many ebay vendors show the 2262/2263 mounts as fitting Cutlass/442 (they don't). Nearly everyone shows 2328 as fitting the 1968 cars with BBO (it doesn't). RockAuto doesn't even list Olds motor mounts for most cars when you try to search by application, but if you simply put in the part number (2261, 2328, etc), they pop right up for like $4 apiece.

Of course, Fusick just sells the Anchor/Westar/Pioneer mounts that RockAuto sells but charges about ten times as much money for them.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:26 PM

I bought the mounts for my 64 at NAPA, $4.00 a piece.
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:46 PM

For the most part, I've been pleased with Rock Auto.
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:43 PM

I bought all my suspension parts, brakes, bearings, the whole Mary Ann to complete my chassis. Had several core returns without a hitch, I am very pleased!!!
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:53 PM

I agree with all comments about rockauto, having bought a number of items from them over the years.

But don't overlook Amazon as a source of auto parts. They had the correct fuel pump for my '78 Toronado when Autozone, NAPA, and O'Reilly did not. I just ordered a new fuel tank for this car, and it is $178 with free shipping if you are an Amazon Prime member. There is not yet (but I'm told it's coming soon) sales tax charged in New Mexico. So no tax, no shipping charges (other than the Prime membership, but shipping prices I was quoted from other sites are half the cost of a year membeship). This is the exact same fuel tank (part numbers are identical) with what other sites sell for prices ranging to over $300.

Not only is the shipping free, but it is free two-day shipping. A little more for some large items, like this one. I ordered it today (Thursday), and it is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday by UPS.

I just now checked Rockauto, and the exact same tank shipped to my address costs $58 for shipping. Their price for the tank is a few dollars more than Amazon ($181), but there's a huge difference when shipping is included.

Amazon lets you input your vehicle specifics (year, make, model, engine) just like any auto parts site does.

One more example, and then I'll shut up. I need new brake drums as well. ACDELCO part number 18B74. Amazon price: $69.78 with free shipping. Rockauto price: $59.79 plus $17 shipping. With shipping costs incuded the Amazon price is $7 cheaper. As a further comparison, none of Autozone, O'Reilly, or NAPA carries the ACDelco part. The "equivalent" brake drum offered by these three sites cost $107.99, $109.99, and $89.99, respectively, and all will charge sales tax and shipping, although, at the moment, Autozone is running a free shipping promotion for online purchases delivered to home.

So I'm not saying that Amazon is the only place to buy from. What I'm saying is, include them among the sites you check for auto parts, especially if you are a Prime member. You could save a great deal of money. Most importantly, shop around. The internet makes it easy.
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Administrator

X2 on Amazon. Not only for auto parts but I also use them for appliance repair parts instead of original manufacturers suppliers. I recently bought a timer for a dryer, a new ice maker for our GE fridge, and some repair parts for vacuum cleaner. All arrived in 2 days, Prime is the only way to go with Amazon. Since Texas has a warehouse we have to pay sales tax.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:18 PM

So I just confirmed my motor mounts 602262 and 602263 are not for my 69 BBO. They were incorrectly listed in the Rockauto catalog for my application. I ordered them back in October so I doubt I'll be sending them back. At this point I just want to order the correct ones. Does anyone have the right part numbers so this doesn't happen again?

Thanks,
Randy
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
So I just confirmed my motor mounts 602262 and 602263 are not for my 69 BBO. They were incorrectly listed in the Rockauto catalog for my application. I ordered them back in October so I doubt I'll be sending them back. At this point I just want to order the correct ones. Does anyone have the right part numbers so this doesn't happen again?

Thanks,
Randy
The correct info has been a sticky here since 2011.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-list.html

And since apparently this can't be posted enough...

1) RockAuto is NOT a reliable source of part fitment information

2) Just about every single listing of Oldsmobile motor mounts contains errors.

3) Every Olds A-body ever made uses the same motor mount on both sides. The fact that you had two different part numbers should have been your first clue.

4) The correct mount must match THE FRAME MOUNT. The block is irrelevant, since all 1964-1990 Olds blocks have the motor mount bolt holes in the same place relative to the crank centerline.
Old March 24th, 2017, 08:09 AM

Thanks Joe. I searched in the big block engine forum but should have searched broader.
At least now it is posted here.