General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

preparing your ride and what you do with it.

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2017, 06:20 AM
jfb

Exclamation preparing your ride and what you do with it.

I believe in doing your own work as much as possible first of all and rebuilding with heavy duty parts or upgrades. The cost difference is minimal and then to a extent it is still factory and rebuilt and easily serviced the systems are still oem and just better parts and more strength to boot. The upkeep is normal and minimal to boot. I Fish camp hunt and race and go everywhere I can with the olds late spring to mid to late September. I go to swap meets and some carshows , I am a believer in letting these cars do what they where intended to do drive them and enjoy them plus the confidence and pride from ownership and doing it. I make a maitanence list at this time of the year and plan and execute it so the olds is ready to go and dependable for the upcoming season. SO WHAT DO YOU DO!
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Same here. I do all my own work , body , engine , trans, etc etc. My engine started life as a swap meet failed build core, my trans came from a junkyard and I rebuilt it with a b&m kit and used a ebay vendor converter, I beat the living tar out of it. Racing , cruising, groceries lol. Currently re painting the car and I use alot of generic supplies the only name brand thing will be paint. I tend to use alot of lower end parts although I choose very wisely in have not had any issues. I can jump in my car go to the track 60 miles race then drive back home another 60 miles and it don't miss a beat. Upkeep has been minimal I just keep an eye on fluids and make sure the battery is good.
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:42 AM
jfb

I am the same way with mine.

I do the same and the upgraded ignition in mine keeps the plugs clean for short drives in traffic and of course a tuned carburetor with a decent cam and good compression. brain and thought processing goes a long way with our rides and of course the experience from doing the work and deeper experience we get from the pioneers on this site who carried the flag from the beginning when these cars were babies my hats off to you guys you new these cars where special from day one! I also use 93 octane gas with a ignition retard and race fuel additive when fuel gets weak at times and also now a upgraded security system on the car and garage with cameras that record.
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:43 AM
Hookers under Hood

I don't have a maintenance list. When the snow melts, I put my key in and hope it starts haha.
If not I pull my wallet out and assess the damages after the repair. Life is getting shorter and my time is beginning to be valuable if ya know what I mean.
Geez, I even send it out for detailing these days. The muscle that it takes to wax/detail my 76 land cruiser and G8's gets saved for my wife's extra curricular, and filling the ice cube trays.
Cheers, to all you preventable maintenance guys.
Put-r-ther
Eric
Old February 25th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Every spring I perform a no parts tuneup and replace plugs if necessary, otherwise they get inspected,cleaned and gaped. I replace the air and fuel filter once a year in the spring. I do one oil change a year in the spring, sometimes another in the fall. I change tires at 10 years and inspect the brakes and wheel bearings every 6-7 years.

Other than that, if it ain't broke I don't mess with it.
Old February 25th, 2017, 07:38 AM

I'm getting ready to do the yearly tune up. I usually put new plugs on it. I'm too lazy to clean the old ones I guess.
Old February 25th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Mine don't usually need a cleaning, just a gap check. I replace them about every 5 years, which equates to 12k'ish miles.
Old February 25th, 2017, 07:58 AM

My Old's is a road warrior, up keep is a year around process because we drive it quite a lot even in the winter. This year has been a exception because of the snow and monsoon we have been going through. I still do most of the maintenance unfortunately as I age things that once were easy now are more of a challenge I some times ship major problems out now. I like to keep the Old Girl in good shape so if we get a hankering we can jump in and take it for a long trip on short notice, two to three thousand miles is not uncommon.
Old February 26th, 2017, 05:50 AM
jfb

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
My Old's is a road warrior, up keep is a year around process because we drive it quite a lot even in the winter. This year has been a exception because of the snow and monsoon we have been going through. I still do most of the maintenance unfortunately as I age things that once were easy now are more of a challenge I some times ship major problems out now. I like to keep the Old Girl in good shape so if we get a hankering we can jump in and take it for a long trip on short notice, two to three thousand miles is not uncommon.
I wish I had the same weather then it would be just the weird problem periodically . I did all work in the past and now I enjoy mine with just good planning over the years for the projects. I now have upkeep just like new vehicles since it is rebuilt to heavy duty standards.
Old February 26th, 2017, 06:10 AM

Grease all the greasing points at chassis and steering-related parts, lube the door-latches etc, re-pack wheel bearings and open and clean up the brakes. Then hope it starts?
Oils and plugs once a year at some point i feel like it. Plugs are so cheap i dont bother to waste my time cleaning and re-gapping them.

Last edited by Inline; February 26th, 2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:23 PM
jfb

I would like to pass 1 thought along to people who are starting here since it worked so well for me. 1 access the areas in need and drivability first of all and keep a planning book. Make sure it is safe to drive etc etc and go swap meet hunting and look for sales on what you need to save cost. access your skill level and try to improve it beforehand to save more cost and use your tax refund and 2 to 4 extra checks a year to balance out the rest accordingly and if anythings left over do a smaller non needed job. If done properly you can drive it on a shoestring budget until funds become available to bring it to a higher standard. I did this before things worked out for me with heavy duty parts that lasted and these areas were thouroughly gone through and detailed plus the olds was driven to earn its keep including long distance swap meets. then the areas can be kept up and completed just prioritize your needs and plan it works and keep a real eye towards the completed rides qualitys.
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Im still making my own parts. Id rather save money than spend it. Today i made an alternator bracket from an old power steering pump mount for my set up which is a bit unique so no available brackets would work. Thinking outside the box help too depending on how you enjoy the hobby. Having a good eye for good used parts helps. Knowledge is power. Most guys would buy boxed lower control arms. I made my own from the stockers and it wasnt one of those crappy kits they sell. Its more fun this way for me.

BTW that gold looking tube is my engine strap its not going to alt. lol but its part of the reason i had to make my own part. Had to work around it and my water pump drive.

Last edited by coppercutlass; February 26th, 2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old February 27th, 2017, 05:54 AM
jfb

i agree thinking outside the box can help in a lot of areas of life within reason and safety. I too had a real eye for bargains and good used parts and what was salvageable with extra skills and then appealing to the eye from swap meets. I at 1 time used a 2 old racers tricks since I worked at a speed shop at one time with old time owners. 1 use heavy chain as a torque strap in the same area as you. 2. chain to lock your hood latch and a lock. 1 more thing for newbies the brackets from 350 and 455 olds are just about the same alt power steering air conditioning etc and motor mounts do differ from engine sizes 350 and 455.

Last edited by jfb; February 27th, 2017 at 05:57 AM. Reason: forgot some info.
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:01 PM
jfb

well it is time for all upkeep car house yard etc the weather is cracking again and time is of the essence. good luck guys and lets roll the good times are ahead this year and nothing feels better then when everything is done and trips become a non stressed out situation and good vibes set in trust me. by the way spring Jefferson in Wisconsin is coming up soon and it can be a good parts swap meet but lodging is a pia. camp south of the city and hope for no rain gvod/s and hone o drives can be found and good nos kits just bring a 9 volt battery to test the solenoids. I have also seen old 8 track tape players for 35 bucks there just save your energy, afterwards it will be a mad dash for summer driving. good luck jfb.
Old March 10th, 2018, 06:48 AM
jfb

This is 2018 so what being done for your summer pleasures! I am going over the usual areas and also with some upkeep in others,I hope you planned but if not there are jefferson and skips swap meets this spring,jefferson is in Madison Wisconsin in late april. skips is in Woodstock il I believe late march. post it and get it done the feeling of accomplishment and pride is priceless. by the way does anyone know how long aftermarket rubber brake lines last from experience,I am not having any issues,spongy pedal or cracked lines or fluid loss or swelling. the stainless hard lines old up excellent by the way and stay nice looking after 10 years. they are worth the extra money. I do not drive this year round like before so time is a consideration for rubber deteriation.
Old March 10th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Your new rubber lines could last 20+ years with limited driving. If its not broke, leave it alone.
Old March 10th, 2018, 09:44 PM

Agreed. I replaced the front brake lines back in college (80s) and they are still working fine. I replaced them back then because one blew out.

x2 on the if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You could go broke if you did.
Old March 11th, 2018, 07:40 AM

Im doing a new engine , just sold my current 355. But im doing new brake lines, wildwoods up front, new springs and taller ball joints. My current control arms are short on length. But with a wedding being planned my time is a bit scarce.
Old March 11th, 2018, 10:07 AM
jfb

copper I hear on personal obligations they eat up time. by the way thanks for the replys on new age rubber products guys that's one area where I do not want issues. I rebuilt all of the areas with the best heavy duty products of that moment with upgrading in mind. It is time to plan and get back out there. The summer is coming and safe fun and racing is the order of the day. I will suggest 1 more thing though make sure you have security. enjoy your ride.
Old March 17th, 2018, 06:08 AM
jfb

the beautiful summer breeze is coming and the sunrises and sunsets really stimulate the moment or picturesque beauty. does anyone have these plans? the olds escape machine is perfect for all occasions but needs to be done first so whats your plans?
Old April 12th, 2018, 03:50 PM
jfb

I can see the weather breaking soon guys and we will all need to make a mad dash for it. I am certain that most have to take care of there property also to avoid embarassement and fines. I am doing a job a day and keeping my eyes on the finished product property car etc so what are you doing with the limited time? I can see that we will probably get instant heat in about 2 weeks.
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:17 AM
jfb

how are you all doing with those projects on the olds? The weather here has been very strange and has been a pita. I will be ready to roll in about 2 weeks,I have a few areas to be touched up on the olds the weather has not worked with me this year and the areas cannot be looked over they can and will rust ,This comes from a well detailed ride. I also hope that we have no more rain. This car with good torque makes water a challenging situation. So how are your projects coming along?
Old May 14th, 2018, 07:32 AM

As of right now I'm done, I think... There are a few small cosmetic issues that can be address and a dash light that is interment but no issues that would keep me from jumping in and taking a trip. I probably could use a oil change. Like fool I didn't wright down my mileage last time, probably not that many miles on it because I have been using the little red car a lot lately... Hmm something to ponder.... Tedd
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:12 AM
jfb

cruises/camping hunting and fishing is the order of my free time to be used. I finished all little bs this year I had to keep up, the car is after all restored and good up keep is the real order of new cars and somewhat time consuming. I will get back to the track after the weather gets cooler somewhat. The transmission after 6000 rpm blasts all day and locked timing can make for a very HOT situation to drive home with and can become pretty exspensive if the point is pushed to far. I will only trailer if absolutely needed. I also want to add for anybody that needs this info about msd ignitions to put a slight amount of dielectric grease on the rotor tip to avoid carbon tracking and humidity problems and drill small holes in the cap to avoid the buildup. I had to clean the new cap up a few times after humidity and carbon tracking. I like anybody else does not need issues when out and preventive maitanence here goes a long way. enjoy the summer it is vacation time for me and time to get out again time is of the essence.
Old July 13th, 2018, 02:10 PM

In this computer friendly environment there is no reason not to think and plan your automotive repair and upgrades. Don’t know how to test and rebuild an alternator? Look it up on YouTube! Want to know what the best suspension/brake/engine/trans/whatever upgrades are? You kind probably find someone who has done exactly what your dreaming on a forum somewhere.

as far as maintainsance, I try and do all my upgrades or major projects over the winter. The summer is for cruising and enjoying the car.

Last edited by matt69olds; July 13th, 2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old July 15th, 2018, 09:11 AM

Lightbulb New with tons of Questions

Hello everyone new to car forums in general. Due to a death in the family about a year and a half ago I have my brothers 1969 Cutlass S Convertible. I decide to keep and do a lot of work to it for a few reason the most obvious well it was my brothers, we did "stupid guys stuff" in it tore up a few streets and let several black marks. The other is well he bought the car the same day my daughter was born back in 99. He drove it up to the hospital to show us and meet his niece it was "his baby". My question is how do I track down this cars history? I met the person he bought it from and that's it. Is there a service or website I can look up the VIN and get the complete ownership history bild sheet etc? Kinda like a "Carfax" for classics..
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:53 AM

With the privacy laws today I serious doubt the DMV would be any help. I tried years ago with my car, the dmv said all they could do was tell me the previous owner. Since I wasn’t old enough to legally have a car in my name when I bought my car, the previous owner was my dad. Maybe you could find out who the original selling dealer was, and MAYBE if they are still in business, MAYBE the could tell you who the original owner was. Good luck
Old August 11th, 2018, 11:34 AM
jfb

Originally Posted by matt69olds
In this computer friendly environment there is no reason not to think and plan your automotive repair and upgrades. Don’t know how to test and rebuild an alternator? Look it up on YouTube! Want to know what the best suspension/brake/engine/trans/whatever upgrades are? You kind probably find someone who has done exactly what your dreaming on a forum somewhere.

as far as maintainsance, I try and do all my upgrades or major projects over the winter. The summer is for cruising and enjoying the car.
i agree with you 100 percent but the weather sometimes puts things off and my garage can and does get cold. i mostly take care of the projects i n early spring to mid spring as efficiently as possible. the seasons almost over and now is still the time to get out. I still have fishing and hunting to do plus camping with the olds.
Old September 8th, 2018, 12:21 PM
jfb

I have a update for everyone around Chicago il . there will be a carshow on sunday September 30th check for dates in melrosepark il. lets get it together now we have 3 weeks and this is just normal upkeep we need to do for fall.