General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A couple general questions RE: my new 56 98:

Old June 28th, 2016, 09:30 PM

A couple general questions RE: my new 56 98:

Hi guys!

I have a couple questions RE my new purchase.

I have a new to me 1956 98 Holiday 2dr hardtop.

First; should the ignition key be the same as the doors and a seperate trunk and glove box key, or should the doors be different from the ignition?

second; what is the normal temp for these cars? What thermostat should I be running?

Third, the stainless flap that goes up when the door opens and goes down when it closes is sticking on the rear of it on the drivers side. It opens fine and the front closes fine but I have to push the rear of it to go down all the way. I'm guessing it's common is there a quick fix?

Fourth; where can I find an original fan shroud?

Fifth: can I get rid of the little bit of the dead spot at the center of the wheel? (Ps)

Thanks guys!

Last edited by cmpcpro; June 28th, 2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old June 29th, 2016, 03:15 PM

Door & ignition key the same (octagon head) Glove box & trunk same (round head)

Rain guard (flapper) probably in need of a spring?
Old June 29th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The normal temp is probably near the middle of the gauge ( I am assuming the 56 still had a gauge and not idiot lights). I would run a 160 or 180 degree thermostat. The fan shroud is going to be a tough part to find. I think only the AC cars had them. Call Chip at Power Steering Services Inc in Springfield, MO. There is a good chance the power steering sector needs rebuilding. He is the best there is and lots of folks on here including yours truly have used him. I have never heard a complaint about him.

By they way, Welcome and enjoy your car.
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
The normal temp is probably near the middle of the gauge ( I am assuming the 56 still had a gauge and not idiot lights). I would run a 160 or 180 degree thermostat. The fan shroud is going to be a tough part to find. I think only the AC cars had them. Call Chip at Power Steering Services Inc in Springfield, MO. There is a good chance the power steering sector needs rebuilding. He is the best there is and lots of folks on here including yours truly have used him. I have never heard a complaint about him.

By they way, Welcome and enjoy your car.
Thank you very much! The steering isn't a ps pump issue its just got a bit of a dead spot in the middle but I'm being told by a couple people that Oldsmobile did that on purpose and one guy said every one he has driven has that.. As for the temp I was wondering more of a Deg. The car has idiot lights in 56. The Guage is aftermarket and is usually around 180-190 but will go to about 200-205 in traffic with AC on, but once I move it goes down. I just bought a 160 tstat along with about 1500 more in toys from Fusick
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:02 PM

Here are some pics of the car! Just ordered brand new American Classic 800r15's and brand new OE wheels and hubcaps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (493.9 KB, 19 views)
Old June 30th, 2016, 03:07 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Hi, and welcome. Nice looking car. As for the thermostat, with your aftermarket A/C, I think you're doing the right thing. And as you know, Fusick is a great place for parts for your 60 year old car.
Old June 30th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think your temp is fine. My indash gauge is factory and has no actual temp markings Since I added AC it runs warmer than it used to even with the AC turned off. I have had the radiator recored to a 3 core and have an electric fan and shroud. I also have the factory AC water pump with 8 blades instead of 6. Coinsidentally I am putting an under dash gauge in this weekend so I know what the actual temp is. I will probably put the 160 degree thermostat back in place of the 180 it has now.
Old June 30th, 2016, 11:12 AM

Thanks guys! I don't know which water pump I have, nor have I counted the blades on the radiator fan.. For AC cars how can I tell what pump I have? How many blades does the AC fan have? Is there anywhere I can get this stuff? Thanks!

Ps someone has offered me a 58 Chevy fan shroud, but I want to make sure i have the correct one, I am assuming they are probably different, right? Thanks again!!