General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 442 Convert. Original Glass

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2015, 02:10 PM

1970 442 Convert. Original Glass

Hi Guys!

I am a new user of the forum. Working on a winter project to install power windows and locks. About half way through and as usual, one thing leads to another. The new thing is to replace all of the scratched up original glass. My car is all numbers matching and an early 1970 build, having been assembled at the Linden, NJ plant in September 1969.

I want to retain the numbers matching quality and after some research, appears that the best company to do the date coded glass work is ECS. They have been very helpful and their work gets good reviews. Would be open to any other recommendations.

Here's the question: pretty sure my windshield glass has been replaced. Although it looks old, can see where there has been new sealant added that does not look factory. Do any of you have a pic of a factory original windshield with the text and date coding? Kindly advise as I would like to see how they formatted that text, coding and other info/images that is etched onto the glass.

On my car, what is etched onto the windshield is the following (will try to duplicate format below):

Sunshade
Solex
Duplate
PPG Laminated
Safety Float
Antenna
AS1 25 2 . 2 . .
DOT 18 M53.1
W752

Thanks guys for any help, especially a pic of the text and coding on an original windshield and Happy New Year!

Brock1030
Old December 31st, 2015, 03:23 PM

From what is a etched on your windshield it has definitely been replaced.
Old January 1st, 2016, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
From what is a etched on your windshield it has definitely been replaced.
Thanks, Oldspackrat! Is the replacement glass indicator that the etching says, "Safety Float"?

Know of anyone who has a PPG original windshield? Need to see how the etching is formatted in order to copy it onto the new glass, including date coding to match my other glass.

Thanks so much!
Old January 1st, 2016, 06:52 PM

It's more than that, pretty much everything on yours is nothing like the original. Someone will post a picture shortly I'm sure. MANY knowledgeable guys on here that are more than willing to help you with about any issue.
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
It's more than that, pretty much everything on yours is nothing like the original. Someone will post a picture shortly I'm sure. MANY knowledgeable guys on here that are more than willing to help you with about any issue.
Noted. Thanks so much, Oldspackrat.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:57 AM

Windshield glass

brock1030
Here some pics of OE glass, hope they help
Brett
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (428.3 KB, 72 views)
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:00 AM

Windshield 2

Another pic

Brett
Attached Images
image.jpeg (2.13 MB, 55 views)
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:03 AM

Windshield 3

Last pic

Brett
Attached Images
image.jpeg (2.32 MB, 46 views)
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:06 AM

All the Linden, NJ built cars I've seen came with PPG glass. ~BOB
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Last pic

Brett

Thanks so much, Brett!

Though your car has the LOF glass and mine has the PPG glass all around, which I have read was common to the Linden, NJ assembly plant. The PPG glass etching was formatted differently than the LOF glass, thus wondering what it looked like on an original windshield.

Anybody have a factory original PPG windshield?
Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:29 AM

Door glass

1968 door glass, now your making it challenging!
Brett
Attached Images
image.jpeg (2.16 MB, 46 views)
Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:49 AM

Thanks Brett!

My PPG door glass is original and looks much like that, save the date coding. What I need is the format for the PPG windshield, as mine is a replacement and apparently looks nothing like the factory original.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old January 4th, 2016, 05:41 AM

1968 door glass, now your making it challenging!
Brett
Good morning, Brett!

Do you have a PPG, OEM windshield in your '68 car? I do not want to guess as to what is the formatting of the etching, even though mine is a '70 car.

Any help from the members would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old January 4th, 2016, 08:16 AM

Windshield

I will get out to the car when I can, been enjoying a holiday gift, flu/plague or some other highly convenient way to spend a 3 day weekend

Brett
Old January 4th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Olds Nut

Does the original windshield for a 70 442 have the brown tint at the top instead of the darker colors that are used today?
Old January 4th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by m455sx
Does the original windshield for a 70 442 have the brown tint at the top instead of the darker colors that are used today?
It can go brown if it has sat out in the sun for a continuous period of years. Do you have a pic for the etching on the windshield? If your car was made in Linden, NJ it should be a PPG windshield.
Old January 4th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Olds Nut

Originally Posted by brock1030
It can go brown if it has sat out in the sun for a continuous period of years. Do you have a pic for the etching on the windshield? If your car was made in Linden, NJ it should be a PPG windshield.
My 442 i know doesn't have the original windshield.
My Cutlass SX may because of the Browning of the tint at the top. My SX is mostly original except for paint and bumpers. I will check when i get home and snap some photo's
Old January 4th, 2016, 12:22 PM

My 442 i know doesn't have the original windshield.
My Cutlass SX may because of the Browning of the tint at the top. My SX is mostly original except for paint and bumpers. I will check when i get home and snap some photo's
Excellent! Thanks so much! M455sx, as the Cutlass should be the same as a 442 would be built at the Linden, NJ plant - PPG glass with date coding.
Old January 4th, 2016, 12:38 PM

FYI, windshields with a yellow band at the top are considered tint-less, it is not because of sun fading. The non tint (Yellow band) at the top have not been made for decades and I don't believe they are reproduced. If you have one on your car it probably is original.
Old January 4th, 2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by RocketDevo
FYI, windshields with a yellow band at the top are considered tint-less, it is not because of sun fading. The non tint (Yellow band) at the top have not been made for decades and I don't believe they are reproduced. If you have one on your car it probably is original.
Helpful point. Thank you, RocketDevo!
Old January 4th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Olds Nut

ok, so i have been trying for a few minutes to get a good picture of the PPG logo. it is very faint and very difficult to see. I think my Cutlass SX may have the original windshield??? On a different note mine is not yellow at the top is is Brown and i will try to post a picture of the entire windshield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
index.jpg (34.3 KB, 41 views)
Old January 4th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Olds Nut

picture of the entire windshield
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160104_155812614.jpg (4.58 MB, 36 views)
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:04 PM

picture of the entire windshield
Thanks m455sx! The etched info - PPG logo and date coding - should be in the right front corner of the windshield. Could you get a close up?
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Olds Nut

Thanks m455sx! The etched info - PPG logo and date coding - should be in the right front corner of the windshield. Could you get a close up?
If you look at the first picture i posted you can clearly see the PPG etching backwards, but barely visible. If some one you let me know what i can do make make the etching stand out better let me know?? As you can see i had to put a piece of black duct tape on a paper towel so you can see "ppg" I cant see or read anything else/
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:41 PM

ok, so i have been trying for a few minutes to get a good picture of the PPG logo. it is very faint and very difficult to see. I think my Cutlass SX may have the original windshield??? On a different note mine is not yellow at the top is is Brown and i will try to post a picture of the entire windshield.
Sorry, m455sx - did not see this.

I can make out that it is backwards (from the outside looking in), which is interesting. Is there any other text besides the PPG logo and if so, what does it say and where is it in relation to the PPG logo?
Old January 4th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Olds Nut

There is writing to the left and right but cant read it. I am think about buying some black craft paper that doesn't reflect and maybe trying to see if it will stand out! Gotta give props to you for making me research! I have had the car for 15 plus years and didn't even notice the logo! If any body else has an idea how to read let me know.
Old January 4th, 2016, 03:26 PM

Sorry, m455sx - did not see this.

I can make out that it is backwards (from the outside looking in), which is interesting. Is there any other text besides the PPG logo and if so, what does it say and where is it in relation to the PPG logo?
There is writing to the left and right but cant read it. I am think about buying some black craft paper that doesn't reflect and maybe trying to see if it will stand out! Gotta give props to you for making me research! I have had the car for 15 plus years and didn't even notice the logo! If any body else has an idea how to read let me know.
Thanks m455sx! May I suggest you place the black on the outside of the glass and read it from the inside to see if clearer, especially with some soft illumination. May read better too from that side as you will not be trying to read letters backwards.
Old January 4th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Olds Nut

I will try my best! hopefully some one else on this site will confirm if the windshield seems correct for the year? per the photo.
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:08 PM

I will try my best! hopefully some one else on this site will confirm if the windshield seems correct for the year? per the photo.
Agreed. As I understand it, what is correct is determined by the text etched into the windshield. What I recorded at the top of this thread is established as a replacement windshield. So, what is on your windshield should be a bit different, but with the same PPG logo.

Thanks so much for whatever help you can provide.
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:54 AM

I will get out to the car when I can, been enjoying a holiday gift, flu/plague or some other highly convenient way to spend a 3 day weekend

Brett
Thanks so much, Brett for your help and hope you feel better!
Old January 5th, 2016, 05:10 AM

Good morning, m455sx!

As you look a bit closer at your windshield text to determine its format, it could be similar in format to the above attached pic from the OEM side window in my car. Instead of saying "AS-2", I suspect on your windshield it may say "AS-1". To the right of this is the plant and date code - "27" is the plant and "79" is July of 1969.

Below these above texts is the question as to what an OEM windshield may state, which should be different from the side window glass.

Thanks so much, m455sx for your help!

Last edited by brock1030; January 5th, 2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Olds Nut

Good morning, m455sx!

As you look a bit closer at your windshield text to determine its format, it could be similar in format to the above attached pic from the OEM side window in my car. Instead of saying "AS-2", I suspect on your windshield it may say "AS-1". To the right of this is the plant and date code - "27" is the plant and "79" is July of 1969.

Below these above texts is the question as to what an OEM windshield may state, which should be different from the side window glass.

Thanks so much, m455sx for your help!
For some reason i can't make the picture larger?? Could you email me the photo mthompson@wiltonconstruction.com
Old January 5th, 2016, 08:19 AM

For some reason i can't make the picture larger?? Could you email me the photo mthompson@wiltonconstruction.com
E-mail with pic sent. Thanks so much, m455sx!
Old January 10th, 2016, 07:45 PM

Through the kindness of m455sx, I have tracked down all but two lines of the text that was on the PPG OEM windshield on my '70 442. Amazingly m455sx's car was made one week prior to mine at the Linden, NJ plant, in the fourth week of August 1969. The confirmed OEM PPG text (minus the last two lines) on the OEM windshield is as follows:

SHADED
SOFT- RAY
SAFETY FLOW-LITE
AS-1 PPG 1-69
LAMINATED
ANTENNA

What remains unclear is the last two lines of the OEM text, as these lines on m455sx's OEM windshield are not readable. So, after a bit of research, the two following are the probable options. Any thoughts as to which one is correct? Other option? Thanks guys.

Option 1: M25
W752

Option 2: DOT 18 M25
W752

Old January 10th, 2016, 08:15 PM

I thought most GMs of that era used LOF brand? Either way, my windshield was replaced, but all side glass on my 70 SX convertible is soft ray LOF and it was built at Linden plant. Different than what other people with Linden cars have (ppg). I doubt all my glass was replaced but you never know. Also, I am sure shortages etc. led to various options with different suppliers even if ppg was the main supplier for Linden. I bet there are also cars out there from various plants that have both brands as they would use whatever is on hand if the plant bought from both suppliers.
Old January 10th, 2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldsconv
I thought most GMs of that era used LOF brand? Either way, my windshield was replaced, but all side glass on my 70 SX convertible is soft ray LOF and it was built at Linden plant. Different than what other people with Linden cars have (ppg). I doubt all my glass was replaced but you never know. Also, I am sure shortages etc. led to various options with different suppliers even if ppg was the main supplier for Linden. I bet there are also cars out there from various plants that have both brands as they would use whatever is on hand if the plant bought from both suppliers.

Seems so, that at least a healthy portion indeed had LOF glass. Several Linden plant cars I know of all had PPG glass, including m455sx's car and my own. Mine has all OEM PPG glass, with the exception of the windshield, which is PPG, but a replacement. With scratched OEM glass, I am replacing it with new PPG. But, with a replacement windshield, I need to discover the correct OEM text that it had. Hence, the inquiry as to the the last two lines of a PPG OEM windshield of the era.
Old January 11th, 2016, 09:01 PM

With the kind assistance of m455sx and Troy from Thortons Muscle Cars, I have finally figured what the correct OEM windshield coating for my car should be, which is as follows:

SHADED
SOFT- RAY
SAFETY FLOW-LITE
AS-1 PPG 1-69
LAMINATED
ANTENNA
DOT18 M30 . 2

Coding notes: AS-1 = American National Standards, number 1, which indicates, windshield glass. 1-69 is to be read as follows: 1 = the PPG plant in Creighton, PA, which made windshields and 69 = the date code of June 1969. This is consistent with being supplied to the Linden, NJ plant for a first week in September 1969 build week (my OEM door and quarter glass had production dates of July 1969 and May 1969, respectively).

DOT 18 = the DOT code for the PPG corporation. Contrary to what has been suggested in the CRG Research Report regarding GM OEM PPG glass (for Camaros, http://www.camaros.org/glass.shtml#PPG), M30 does not necessarily mean that so coded windshield glass is replacement glass. In this case, the M30 . 2 coding is from known OEM windshield glass, with a build date one week prior to my car. Here, the "M" = model and "30 . 2" (notice the extra spaces) is the PPG model number. I have not found a good source to further detail these model numbers from PPG.

Interesting to have found in this research that the far majority of 442's and Cutlasses were OEM supplied with Libby Owens Ford Glass (LOF) and only a small number had PPG glass - an extra added rarity for all PPG cars out there!

Hope this all is helpful, especially to owners who are doing date coding as part of the restoration process on their car.

Last edited by brock1030; January 11th, 2016 at 09:04 PM.