Uhv

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2015, 06:46 PM

Uhv

Picked up a UHV setup off ebay for the 67.

Coil, box, distributor and cap. The search function yields that Mr. Skaff is working on a system, and Mr. Witt is the local expert on them. Ebay offers a Vette guy's service to replace the Germanium guts of the amp with modern circuitry, and I can have another module put in to drive my tach (corvette's are cable driven like a speedo.)

It's in good shape, but needs restored. Missing one plug off the harness. Needs a rotor, unless this thing runs off of so much PFM it just arcs up there. Same rotor part number?

Should be fun.
Old August 29th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Edit: This should be in electrical. Guess I saw the E in engine and misclicked.
Old August 29th, 2015, 08:04 PM

Moved it for you. Congrats on the purchase. I've got a setup I removed from a 1967 Toronado many years ago and have thought about putting it in a 1967 442 project car. Just for fun, would you post pictures of it?

John
Old August 29th, 2015, 08:44 PM

I sent mine to Dave Ray,"Distributor Dave". He converted it to HEI. The only thing in the box is an HEI module. I sold the guts of the box to Chris Witt. The distributor was actually a points dist, so no big loss. Just got my engine running a couple of weeks ago, and it runs and sounds great. Good oil pressure, runs about 185 degrees in the garage with a fan blowing through the radiator. I bought 2 of the original red dist caps on Ebay awhile back and painted my coil red to match. It will look like UHV but its the newer HEI. Seems to work great. Daves charge was $205.
Old August 30th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by steverw
I sent mine to Dave Ray,"Distributor Dave". He converted it to HEI. The only thing in the box is an HEI module. I sold the guts of the box to Chris Witt. The distributor was actually a points dist, so no big loss. Just got my engine running a couple of weeks ago, and it runs and sounds great. Good oil pressure, runs about 185 degrees in the garage with a fan blowing through the radiator. I bought 2 of the original red dist caps on Ebay awhile back and painted my coil red to match. It will look like UHV but its the newer HEI. Seems to work great. Daves charge was $205.
I was going to say, simply replace the guts with a properly heat-sinked HEI module. If you have any mechanical and wiring ability at all, there is no need to pay anyone $200 to do this. With the HEI module, the tach hooks up to the coil just like on any other Olds.
Old August 31st, 2015, 06:03 PM

John, sure, let me get back home and I will.

Steve, that might be an option.

Joe, that seems like a good idea. One place online seems to like to mill out the housing to mount it better. I will get an HEI module and see what I can do.
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:14 PM

I was under the impression that the shaft had to be turned, but I really dont know that, or what is required to do the conversion. Dave cleans it, puts in new bushings/bearings, new vacuum advance canister, new cap, gear if needed. He will keep it looking original, or polish it what ever you want. Probably more to polish it. He sets it up to your engine build, ie. headers, cam, carb, etc. Adjustable advance or standard. Mine has the HEI reluctor and an MSD pick up coil. It works great so far.
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:40 AM

I just did the HEI module conversion for a friend's 68 W-30 UHV setup. We used the original UHV distributor with no modification. I removed the board from the original UHV module and made a small aluminum plate with holes drilled in it to match a couple of the mounting locations of the original board. The HEI module is mounted to the plate with heat sink compound between it and the plate.

I also modified the wiring harness to utilize the module. From the outside, you would never know the original UHV board was not in the housing.
Old September 1st, 2015, 08:17 PM

heres mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
233.JPG (1.37 MB, 43 views)
235.JPG (195.2 KB, 45 views)
229.JPG (179.5 KB, 45 views)
234.JPG (108.8 KB, 47 views)
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:30 PM

Very cool set up. Was the original wires coming from the box warped in a black insulation like the rest of the wiring harness? If so you might want to copy that so that it is indistinguishable from the original set up.
Thanks or sharing very cool
Bernhard
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:58 PM

Yes i believe the original wires were wrapped, I still have them i think, ill check that out. Very easy to wrap them, and make um look original. The $205.00 was for Dave to convert my points distributor. He didnt charge any more to put the module in the UHV box. Sounds like Koda has the UHV distributor, I dont have any idea if a HEI module will work with it, but it seems Joe P. is saying it will, that might be an easy conversion he can do himself.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:08 PM

I think the $205 was very fair for the amount of work and parts required.
I also like the reluctor he used in the conversion. Did he use a MSD pick up coil?
How much do the red caps go for and do they still come up?
Thanks
Bernhard

Last edited by Bernhard; January 23rd, 2016 at 12:15 AM.