starter problem 62 Dynamic 88

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2015, 06:27 AM

starter problem 62 Dynamic 88

Have a 394 62 Dynamic 88-turn the ignition switch to start the engine, engine starts, starter disengages everything is fine. However I pulled off the coil to distributor wire and pulled the plugs to do a compression test the starter will not stop turning the engine over when I turn the key off? I had to run out and pulled the negative cable off. Could it be a defective solenoid or ignition switch?
Old July 31st, 2015, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Either a defective solenoid or it's finding 12v somewhere. Possibly the connections got loose and shorted.
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:09 AM

Sometimes when the battery voltage gets low, it will cause an arc in the starter solenoid, and the copper disk in the solenoid will weld itself to the back side of the copper bolt that the 12 volt power coming from the battery is attached to. Best thing to do, is to take the starter off, and then disassemble the solenoid, noting how it comes apart. Once apart, you can sand the copper disk smooth, or you can just flip it over. Also, clean up the head of the copper bolt, and you shouldn't have any more problems. While you are in there, clean up any other debris that you might find. Then, before you put everything back together, check the condition of the starter brushes. If the brushes need to be replaced, then also check the starter nose cone bushing, and the end plate bushing. Most times, the only attention that a starter gets, is when it fails. Like all moving parts on the automobile, a little preventive maintenance goes a long way to keep everything working like it was designed to.
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Junkman
Sometimes when the battery voltage gets low, it will cause an arc in the starter solenoid, and the copper disk in the solenoid will weld itself to the back side of the copper bolt that the 12 volt power coming from the battery is attached to. Best thing to do, is to take the starter off, and then disassemble the solenoid, noting how it comes apart. Once apart, you can sand the copper disk smooth, or you can just flip it over. Also, clean up the head of the copper bolt, and you shouldn't have any more problems. While you are in there, clean up any other debris that you might find. Then, before you put everything back together, check the condition of the starter brushes. If the brushes need to be replaced, then also check the starter nose cone bushing, and the end plate bushing. Most times, the only attention that a starter gets, is when it fails. Like all moving parts on the automobile, a little preventive maintenance goes a long way to keep everything working like it was designed to.
To be honest, once you have that 800 lb Delco starter on the ground, you MIGHTASWELL just replace the solenoid, starter drive, and brushes. If you don't do that now, you can be sure of doing it in a few months. (at least, that's how my luck runs...)
Old July 31st, 2015, 12:29 PM

Well since this AM I went a head and replaced the solenoid and it DID NOT solve the problem. Should I now turn my attention to the starter its self or the ignition switch? And I have installed new "Bad" parts before, I may pull it back out and get another solenoid. But when you normally start the engine the solenoid disengages the starter as it should when the engine starts
Old July 31st, 2015, 12:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by therobski
Well since this AM I went a head and replaced the solenoid and it DID NOT solve the problem. Should I now turn my attention to the starter its self or the ignition switch? And I have installed new "Bad" parts before, I may pull it back out and get another solenoid. But when you normally start the engine the solenoid disengages the starter as it should when the engine starts
Just so I understand, when you start the engine normally, the starter disengages. It's only when you are doing a compression test that it stays engaged?

One long shot (but I've actually had this happen to me) is a problem with the starter drive sticking on the starter shaft due to a burr or rust on the shaft. The kick from the engine starting may be enough to disengage it, but without that starting kick (as when you are checking compression), there might be just enough binding so the spring in the solenoid can't overcome the friction and the starter stays engaged. Of course, one of the "features" of the Delco starter design is that if the starter drive is held engaged, the pole of the solenoid also holds the terminals of the solenoid in contact, so it keeps spinning. Check the starter shaft where the starter drive slides and dress it with emery cloth if necessary. Be sure the drive slides in and out freely.
Old July 31st, 2015, 01:44 PM
Administrator

You can verify Joes theory by disconnecting the wire at the S terminal and verify no voltage with the key in run and off positions.
Old July 31st, 2015, 01:45 PM

Yes that's correct Joe. When I pull the starter tomorrow I will give it shot. That could be the problem. I doubt it the ignition switch.
Old July 31st, 2015, 07:59 PM

retainer

Make sure the retainer is on and not broken. 1st pic shows left to right the drive the retainer the clip the clip groove the thrust washer. 2nd pic shows it assembled. The drive can get stuck on the clip if the retainer is missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
starter clip 001.jpg (49.8 KB, 43 views)
starter clip 002.jpg (69.3 KB, 40 views)
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:27 AM

STELLER-I believe you found my problem, no clip in the clip groove. Now where would I get one of these?
Attached Images
IMG_3267.JPG (48.2 KB, 34 views)
IMG_3271.JPG (50.7 KB, 31 views)
Old August 1st, 2015, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
STELLER-I believe you found my problem, no clip in the clip groove. Now where would I get one of these?
Give me an address and I can send you one. Not $1000.00 not even $500.00 not even $250.00. If you order right now it is only $199.99 + shipping and handeling of $2000.00, but wait there is more for this price you get two just add additional shipping. But wait, you also get a dab of grease to hold it in place when you reassemble. email me an address and I will put one in an envelope and drop it in the mail Monday.
Old August 1st, 2015, 01:25 PM

That's funny and we hear that all the time! Sent you a PM. Thanks again
Old August 1st, 2015, 05:57 PM

I'll drop it in the mail.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:20 AM

But wait there is more, I will also drop in a retainer, as yours may be worn out. I'm not sure if the clip broke or the retainer is loose causing it to pop out. A chicken or egg thing. So replace them both when you get them. I didn't answer the phone because we were eating breakfast, and I don't answer during meals.
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:12 PM

Stellar ( Mark) thanks so much for sending the part to me and taking time to walk me through the repair on Sunday over the photo. Your 40 years rebuilding starters and alternators made the task easy for me.
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:03 AM

I love reading stuff like this. We should always treat each other as we would if we were all standing around in the same garage. In a cyber sense, we are.
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by twintracks
I love reading stuff like this. We should always treat each other as we would if we were all standing around in the same garage. In a cyber sense, we are.
On here we can't swear at each other and call each other names like we would in a real garage. The beer here just isn't the same as a cold one in your hand.
Old August 11th, 2015, 02:19 PM

Indeed it isnt. Fact I have 1957 Hotpoint refirgerator in the shop that has never broke and keeps the beer at 34 degress. Although I drink wine-after Im done wrenching!! getting older now. "Everyman has to know their limitations" Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry.