Today is electrical problem day

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2015, 11:59 AM

Today is electrical problem day

I'm running down a few electrical problems today( electrical is not my best suit) and so far this one has me stumped. turn signals work fine on left turn but on right I get a fast blink and only a very week light on the dash indicator, barley can here the flasher click. I have polished all connectors and replaced all bulbs.. To me it acts like a poor ground but so far I can't find one. Will a bad flasher do this... Any ideas.... Tedd
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Administrator

When it happens to me it's usually a bulb or bad connection.
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:09 PM

I agree. Mine does that when a bulb is burned. You didn't mention if you verified all the lights were working. I'm guessing you did but I'm asking just to rule out the simplest thing.
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Tedd, I'd change the flasher.
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't think it is the flasher or neither side would work. I could be wrong on that. I am betting a ground or some kind of bad connection. My time in the USAF has really helped me find electrical gremlins on old cars.
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:25 PM

It's not the flasher. How long has it been acting this way? One thing I have found on these old cars is that the spring loaded contacts at the bottom of the socket can sometimes stick in the down position and the bottom terminal on the light does not make contact. Wiggling the wire from the back, or pushing toward the socket can usually cure it. I too would bet you have a circuit issue of some sort, i.e. grounds. You can also take a multimeter and test for grounds on your turn signal sockets on that side.
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:55 PM

Bulbs are new today even though the old ones checked out OK when I switched them around to known good sockets. I polished the socket contact points the first time I pulled the lenses off so I think I'm good there. I think I can get to the back side of the bulb holders if I remove some of the carpet in the trunk and I'll check for shorts/ bad connections and such.Then I'll put a multimeter and see whats up on voltage. I was hoping for something simple like a bad bulb or a little corrosion but it looks like I'm going to be deeper in it than I planned.

There is a courtesy light out also but it has been interment for awhile and I am sure its just a bad connection, it's next on the list. Two months ago there was not a thing that needed attention now I have a grocery list.....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; April 25th, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old April 25th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Administrator

I'm with Randy, the wires get hard and brittle and the spring loaded contacts get weak. Try pushing the wires toward the bulbs from the back of the sockets.
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I don't think it is the flasher or neither side would work. I could be wrong on that. I am betting a ground or some kind of bad connection. My time in the USAF has really helped me find electrical gremlins on old cars.
^^^THIS! The same flasher contacts are used for both sides. Common sense tells you that if one side works, it can't possibly be the flasher. It's likely a bad ground. In particular, check where the sockets ground, if they use the lamp housings as the ground path. On my 62, for example, the front part/turn housings are aluminum with a steel socket crimped to it. Galvanic corrosion between the two raises all kinds of electrical hell.
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:04 AM

Some success some not so good. The courtesy light was a quick fix, just a bad connection, cleaned it up and it was done. The backup lights also were a quick fix with a clean up and wash/polish .After pulling the bulbs on the turn signals again I washed them with a electrical non conductive solvent/ cleaner and worked the springs back and forth a couple dozen times on both sockets and I now have the indicators on the dash and the lights outside blinking but at different speeds and intensity.. To me that indicates still a bad ground somewhere, so I'm now looking on the back side of the light housings for any obvious problems. The right side rear turn signal is weaker should I work on that first ? Perhaps it's the source for the short.

I still have a park light light on the left side that is out and that will be next after the turn signals on the list to get worked on. I'm here till the legs give out
.... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; April 26th, 2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I now have the indicators on the dash and the lights outside blinking but at different speeds and intensity.. To me that indicates still a bad ground somewhere, so I'm now looking on the back side of the light housings for any obvious problems. The right side rear turn signal is weaker should I work on that first ? Perhaps it's the source for the short
Yes, that is where I would start.
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:23 PM

GOT IT!!! It was the whole chrome housing that holds the red lens and light socket.This thing is held on by two 5/16 bolts with Phillips heads. Took a wrench on my largest screwdriver to bust it loose yet it wouldn't ground through that connection. Works like new now.

Next is the park light that won't light. If I can't get it, no big deal I will still do our road trip with or without it working....But I know I won't be happy till everything works as it should... Thanks for the thoughts and ideas ...Tedd
Old April 26th, 2015, 03:29 PM

Glad you got it!! The rest will be easy for you now.