rear window defogger

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2014, 04:16 AM

rear window defogger

The glass guy came out yesterday to remove my rear window on my 72 supreme. Great he cut the glass out and didn't break it.....not so great the stupid Sob pulled the leads off the defoggers on the glass. Does anybody know how to reattach these. He said he could solder them back on...that guy is not touching my car again. Thanks for the help.
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Pic? Which leads? The wiring leads are designed to be removable. If it's the leads that attach to the wire feed on the glass, they should be able to reattach with contact cement (like that used for mirror mounts on front winshield). Only thing that would require solder is if he actually cut the leads of the power feed to the grid.
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:07 AM

rear window defogger

I'm assuming what you are describing is that the leads were separated from the copper grid contacts? Don't mean to excuse sloppy work but, in the guy's defense, they are fragile and it doesn't take much to separate them. I've seen repair kits advertised online...just can't recall where I've seen them. Not sure about the contact cement as you'd need a conductive adhesive to carry the current. I had a similar problem with a '74 Cutlass window and tried soldering it using a small strip of copper foil tape with conductive adhesive on it to bridge the break. It ended up being a weak connection but, was functional.
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by crimsoncolby
I'm assuming what you are describing is that the leads were separated from the copper grid contacts? Don't mean to excuse sloppy work but, in the guy's defense, they are fragile and it doesn't take much to separate them. I've seen repair kits advertised online...just can't recall where I've seen them. Not sure about the contact cement as you'd need a conductive adhesive to carry the current. I had a similar problem with a '74 Cutlass window and tried soldering it using a small strip of copper foil tape with conductive adhesive on it to bridge the break. It ended up being a weak connection but, was functional.
there is stuff made by permatex
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:15 PM

here are those pics... thanks for the info....

Old December 19th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow, that's a real butcher job. While the glass is out do a continuity check along the lines from side to side to make sure they are all good. That voltage feeder needs to be carefully re-attached. Use the adhesive Eddie posted a picture of and you should be ok. If you're in doubt, go to a different reliable glass shop and ask them what product they use. This shouldn't be terribly hard to fix. Those pics make it hard to see the actual damage, maybe you could use the micro feature of your camera to get better ones.