Problem and question

Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:05 PM

Problem and question

Can't get my car inspected because the front park lights don't work. Not sure they ever worked, but it passed last year. All other lights on my 67 Supreme work. I put a jumper to the plug on the firewall and the park lights work. Iput the jumper to the plug at the light switch and the park lights work. So I bought a new switch, ACD #D6252D, and still no park lights. Is there another switch peculiar to older GM cars that the parts places are missing?
Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by txtom
Can't get my car inspected because the front park lights don't work. Not sure they ever worked, but it passed last year. All other lights on my 67 Supreme work. I put a jumper to the plug on the firewall and the park lights work. Iput the jumper to the plug at the light switch and the park lights work. So I bought a new switch, ACD #D6252D, and still no park lights. Is there another switch peculiar to older GM cars that the parts places are missing?
Your first problem is that you need to read the owner's manual. In 1967 (and in all prior years), the front parking lights did NOT come on with the headlights. This is just how they worked. The park lights should come on with the headlight switch in the parking light position, but will go off when the headlights are on. It wasn't until the 1968 model year that the feds required the park lights to stay on with the headlights. Find an inspector who has a clue and force him/her to read your state's safety requirements before failing a legal car.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Did the guy also fail you for no sidemarker lights, no third brake light, no headrests, no shoulder belts, no locking steering column, no airbags, no soft-impact dashboard controls, no universal labeling of all controls, no 5mph bumpers, no impact-absorbing bodywork, no emission controls...?

- Eric
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:52 PM

Yeah, put it in parking light position and laugh at him.
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:18 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I would guess this is a hangover from dynamo generators?.
When did GM start putting alternators in their cars?. In the UK dynamos were phased out in the early '70s.

Roger.
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:53 AM

GM put alternators in some of their cars in '61 and for sure '62, but not all models.
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
GM put alternators in some of their cars in '61 and for sure '62, but not all models.
Olds started in 1962 with the Starfire, went across the board in the 1963 model year.
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your first problem is that you need to read the owner's manual. In 1967 (and in all prior years), the front parking lights did NOT come on with the headlights. This is just how they worked. The park lights should come on with the headlight switch in the parking light position, but will go off when the headlights are on. It wasn't until the 1968 model year that the feds required the park lights to stay on with the headlights. Find an inspector who has a clue and force him/her to read your state's safety requirements before failing a legal car.
Exactly.
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Yes, I know there are no park lights with the headlights on. But I have no front park lights with the switch in park light position. I have rear park lights, but no front lights. I am baffled.
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You have a headlight switch from a later car installed. It has no prong for the front parking lights, because they were included on the circuit with the rear ones in '68.

You need to get one for '67 and earlier. Almost all GM cars from '68 onward used the same, or darned near the same, headlight switch, and they're everywhere, but the earlier ones can be harder to find.

Alternatively, you could connect the front parking light line to the taillight line and be done with it.

edit: If you're skeptical, look at the headlight switch and plug. The plug will have a purple wire, which has no corresponding terminal on the headlight switch. The brown wire from the switch goes to the taillights, and you can connect the purple wire to the brown if you wish.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; November 24th, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:06 PM

Eric, It sounds like you may be speaking from experience on this one?
Old November 25th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Actually, no, I've never owned an Olds earlier than '68, but this is something that can happen.

I just checked NAPA, and they list headlight switch HL6613 ($25) and HL6613SB ($18) for '67 and later, and HL6554 ($24) and HL6554SB ($13) for '66 and earlier, so it looks like there is a problem with the database. Perhaps some '67s were made with the newer arrangement. Either way, just as you did, a previous owner probably got the switch specified (which was wrong), put it in, and never noticed that the parking lights didn't go on.

Here are two pictures:

- Eric
Old November 25th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Well that appears to be the problem. Thanks for the help. I'll try it this weekend since it's it's going to be a sunny 76 degrees in Austin. HAPPY TURKEY DAY to all.....T
Old November 27th, 2014, 09:33 AM

Thanks again for heading me in the right direction. As it turns out, NAPA as well as everyone else, lists the 68 and newer switch for 67. It was the 66 switch that works for 67. I believe they had it listed as 66 Delta 88. So, I now have park lights. Eat it Mr Inspecter. That's one problem solved, only about 101 left!..........T
Old November 27th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Glad you got it fixed !

Happy Thanksgiving!

- Eric
Old November 27th, 2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Did the guy also fail you for no sidemarker lights, no third brake light, no headrests, no shoulder belts, no locking steering column, no airbags, no soft-impact dashboard controls, no universal labeling of all controls, no 5mph bumpers, no impact-absorbing bodywork, no emission controls...?

- Eric
Bet they didn't know where to put the gas in either